Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #1

SUN #12999
pat55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damage from blown tire

Picked up my new to me 1993 Saturn 2052 last fall. Dealer put new tires on, front passenger blew within 600 miles. It tore the Cowling/wheel liner? (black plastic liner behind tires. The area was to the front and ripped some wiring on water pump. Have repaired the pump but at a loss as to how to fix the black plastic liner that is now open toward the compartment where the pump lives. Shredded pieces of plastic remain. Is there a replacement for the entire wheel well liner? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:11 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome pat55,

Bummer on your tire blow out. Not sure exactly what the dealer did with the new tires, but something is not right, either there is a tire issues of several things or a large overload situation as a start. If you want to drill down into more on possible why the tire failed, start a new post on just the tire failure. We have a retired tire engineer here on the forum who can help and there are others who have been through this before, myself included.

To fixing the camper which is what you asked about, in these cases, seeing what you are up against helps us better understand what you are seeing. I am not 100% sure what Sunline used for wheel wells in 1993, but I have had early year 2000 Sunline fender wells out of the camper to repair the rotted wood behind them and to repair a small crack in them.

Does your wheel well at least look something like this? It is one large formed plastic wheel well liner. Pending the floor plan and year, Sunline did use different types of wheel well liner concepts.

If the wheel well is ABS plastic, then I know of two types permeant repair methods used on black tanks, ABS drain piping, and ABS fender skirts and entry door bezels. I have done several ABS repairs with success and cheaply if we can get to the area to the repair.

Post some pics and we can maybe help better.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:12 AM   #3

SUN #89
If you need help posting pics, here are the basics.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on, and we really like seeing Sunline pics!

Hope this helps

John

Old 02-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #4

SUN #12999
Rip starts straight above hub and gets worse as go forward. Can access if I take off wheel. Where is the best place to place jack? Is it bad to place jack at frame. Can't reach my axle with my floor jack. Are trailer aide ramps okay? any help appreciated.
Your pictures look identical to mine. Springs wheels and liner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fender 2.jpg (88.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg fender.jpg (51.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg fender3.jpg (69.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #5

SUN #12999
Also is your first image showing typical wood bracing around the wheel well? It would be helpful to know where there is something to secure to. On my T2052 there is an access at floor level just aft of the door that has my water pump. The back of this compartment is the interior of the front part of wheel liner/well that was damaged. So now the pump compartment is open to the outside. It took out some wiring on the pump but that is repaired and working fine, fortunately there was about an inch of intact wire on the pump left and was able to splice back.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:28 PM   #6

SUN #89
See if this can help some.

First is on jacking up the camper and supporting the axles so you do not end up with shackle flop (axle & shackle drop when the equalizer shifts).

See this pic as I explain this.

You can jack up the camper on the frame and I suggest you do it like this or to the intent of how I'm showing. The camper wheels are chocked/blocked on the non jacking side to not roll away. Camper tongue/A frame can be supported by the tongue jack or hitched to the truck. Tires are still on the camper at this point. Find solid level ground or hard surface to jack up on.

1. Jack up on the frame "behind" the rear axle spring hanger. Place the jack within 1 foot of the hanger.

2. Jack until both tires clear the ground. You can be a 1" to 2" clear without issue. If you need to go a lot higher then 2" clear tire to ground, lets talk as you need to deal with the other side of the camper.

3. Place jack stands or wood cribbing on frame in front of front spring hanger and behind the rear spring hanger like you see the jack stands in the pics. You may (most likely) will need to jack up the tongue jack a little to level out the camper so the jack stands/wood cribbing will be close to equal on the front and rear hanger area.

4. You must support both axles from shifting, (the center equalizer shifting, shackles flopping down, and the axle dropping down,) before you remove the tires. Reach around or in-between the tires to block up under each axle. In the pic I used bottle jacks under the axle seat area (the U bolt plate area) as I had 2 spare bottle jacks to use and I can easily adjust to the height. You do not lift with the bottle jacks, just rest the piston rod up against the U bolt plate. I have also used wood cribbing under the U bolts. There can be a small space between the wood cribbing and the U bolts, 1/8" max 1/4" I would say. The wood blocks/bottle jack is there to stop the axle from dropping should the shackle shift and allow the axle to flop down.

5. Once axle blocking is in place, remove wheels.

6. When putting the wheels back on, have the wheels on before removing the axle blocking.

Things "not" to do.

7. Do not jack up on the axle tubes themselves. They are thin and can bend easily. The axle has a pre-bent camber setting too them. It looks bent up in the center of the axle tube, that creates the wheel camber.

8. Car ramps may cause an interference issue with black pipe dump pipes or having enough space to get the ramp under the tire. And many car ramps lift about 8" or more off the ground. You really do not want one side that high off the ground with the other side down on the ground while working under it. They do sell what is called a tire saver, a mini ramp to drive up on to change a flat tire. If they can fit with your layout, many do not lift up as high as a car ramp. But you have to be real careful when you pull off them to not bounce the low riding Sunline and hit something.

9. If you have to jack by the axle, the only place you can put the jack, a bottle jack, is under the axle seat (U bolt plate area) to not bend/damage the axle. Best is to jack by the frame.

Now to fixing your fender. Here are some more pics that may help. This camper a 2005 T2363 I was doing water damage repair on for a good friend. There is wood structure behind the plastic wheel well liner. I'm not sure your 1993 camper is "exactly" the same wood configuration, but there is structure wood behind the wheel well where it staples/fastens to the camper.

The wheel well out of the camper

Two more pics of the wheel well out of the camper

Your wheel well is pretty tore up. I myself have not yet found where you can buy a new one. I will see if I can search for them. I am also going to a RV Surplus place on Monday and will ask if they have any and what they may cost.

A repair is doable if the fender is ABS plastic. I suspect it may be but I am not sure, but I can do a test for you, possibly on Sunday or early this week to tell if solvent welding will bond. Odds are high they are ABS, as ABS does thermoform which is how the wheel wells were made. And a lot of other camper parts are made from it, black tanks, fender squirts, drain waste piping etc.

This post will explain the basics of fixing ABS plastic with the solvent weld method.

My post after a tire failure beat up my camper. The wheel wells on the larger slide campers are different. The camper siding took the beating
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...zel-18665.html

Here is another one on ABS black tank repair using Plasti-mend
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...air-14865.html

A post with pics using the fiberglass screen for reinforcement.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post155780

You can buy small sheets of ABS plastic to weld in missing pieces. You can also embed fiberglass window screen into each layer of solvent weld to make joints stronger. I have done both with good success.

Here is one place to buy ABS plastic sheets if needed in the repair
https://www.mcmaster.com/abs/

Here is another place. I selected 1/8" thick and it comes in different sizes, https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...nch%29%3A1%2F8

I have bought from both places and have had positive transactions. There are many other ABS plastic supply places also.

I will post back on what I find out on the fenders at the surplus place and if the ABS solvent weld works on the Sunline camper I'm working on now.

Hope this helps

John

Old 02-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #7

SUN #12999
John,
Thanks for all the info, still a learning process for me. Have jacked up trailers by the frame in the past and just read somewhere you can bend the frame, it may have been in reference to using the leveling jacks. When I was working on a temp fix this week jacked up by the frame, removed front tire only the rest it back down on the other tire.
I did a temp fix with some plastic on the interior of the liner then taped from the outside. This should hold for awhile. The tape the tow guy put on back in Nov was still attached until I pried it off. I have someone that is going to look at it in the few weeks (I hope) and he thinks he can repair and reinforce with some sheet metal. He has done this to his own RV after a tire did several thousand dollars worth of damage. Thanks again. I'll send pics of the "repair"
Old 02-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #8

SUN #89
Hi Pat,

There is some truth to bending a camper frame from jacking it up off the ground the wrong way. Jacking by the frame within 12" behind the rear axle spring hanger works with no damage and Sunline approved that location.

But jacking up the camper by the frame in other locations can and will have issues. One of the worst places to jack up the camper by the frame is by the back wall, a good ways from the rear axle hanger. If the tires do lift off the ground or even close to it, all that weight on these small frame is a problem.

Good luck with your repair. I'll report back is I can find anything at the RV surplus place.

John

Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #9

SUN #402
flbradjr
A few years ago I had tire blow out - but my damage was limited to the skirt - not the wheel well. A Canadian outfit sent me a new skirt and from what I've read on the Club site they don't do wheel wells. ICON Direct. You could ask them - maybe they can point you in the right direction. If not JohnB always has super advice.
flbradjr
Old 02-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #10

SUN #402
flbradjr
Also Stoltzfus RV Adamstown, PA 717 484 344 Had Sunline parts - how much? how many??? unknown - good luck
flbradjr
Old 02-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #11

SUN #12999
I've managed a temp/semi permanent fix with a piece of plastic on the inside of the wheel week. Just arrived at Lake Louise State Park with my loyal dog and cat. Sent up for a few days fun. Made a the day run from PA to bring to Fl but those were hard days to get her home. This is the shake down. So far all is well except the old style leveling makes., will figure out our a new thread will be coming.
Will check into more options for the wheel well when we get home. Updates to follow. Thanks to all. Patty
Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #12

SUN #89
As an FYI, I was at Bontrager's RV Surplus https://bontragers.com/ this week and looked plastic wheel wells. They had a pallet full of them, and the price was right, $10 ea, but the flanged ends that staples to the camper where cut off them and the size too small. They had no others at this time. So no luck at their store.