Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #1

SUN #328
bugbite
1/2 Ton Towing

Towing threads on Tundra Solutions also applies to the F-150s, GM, and Dodge 1500s, and "heavy" 1/2 Tons.

------------

Towing Weight Threads on the Tundra Solutions Forum:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-fleetwood-e2/

'06 Tundra AC towing Fleetwood E2, 1 ATV on the deck, 1 in bed Projected Towing 19 01-02-2007 10:37 AM

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-tow-capacity/

Max Tow Capacity Towing 62 03-17-2006 11:37 PM

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ravel-trailer/

05 Tacoma and travel trailer Towing 09-16-2005 07:59 AM

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-much-to-pull/

Too much to pull? Towing 22 01-12-2005 06:06 PM

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ght-questions/

Travel Trailer weight questions Towing 8 07-12-2004 12:15 AM

---

:P Towing Einsteins

1. Max Tow Capacity Rubio vs. Rocky Mountain Ray, Moderator

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ow-capacity-3/
(scroll to bottom of page 3)

Our Excellent Camping Adventures

2. http://www.paushe.com/

How Well the Toyota Sequoia Tows a 34 foot Travel Trailer

http://www.paushe.com/toyotasequoia

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #2

SUN #328
bugbite
Fancy Mechanical Engineering Formula

Since JohnB skipped town on us for the Fourth (Envy showing) :P

Anyone have that fancy calculation formula

Any of your 1950s people have those numbers on axles and such? Only see hitch wt, dry wt. tongue wt.

---------------------

John B,

Here you go. Figures supplied by DH
I doubt if we fill up the tt to 850 of gear.

Thanks for doing this.

BB

----------------------------------------------

JohnB
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:59 am Post subject:

BB

I apologize if this sounds complex. I am not trying to burry you in a ton of "stuff". Just trying to actually get down into the root details of a towing setup for you. I'll explain what each do when we can calculate the numbers.

You have given us some of the data. Let me fill in what you now have and then you can see what we are missing. If I have used words you do not understand, ask away so I can explain what to get better.

Here was the question list in blue. I filled in next to them what we have in red and some comments.

On the TV.
1. Scaled front axle weight. Do not have CAT scale weights on front & rear axles, only total weight with two passengers,

2. Scaled rear axle weight.

fiberglass Snug Top (~200 lbs.),
full tank of gas (~26 gal.),
60 lb. rubber bed mat and 30 lbs. of tools.
Total CAT scale weight 5540 lbs. ...
approx. front and rear axle weights by (guessimate) ratio based on total weight with conditions specified: 2725 lbs. and 2815 lbs. respectively.

Missing 1 and 2 yet. On your CAT scale weight slip there should be what each axle weighs, tell us the actual scaled weight of each axle. We will use these to see how you stack up on each axle loading

3. Wheel base distance. Center from the front wheel to center of rear wheel.
128.3 in.

4. Distance from the center of the rear axle to the end of the TV receiver pin box. We call this over hang.
53 in.

We are missing 3 and 4 yet. With these numbers I can use math (static moment calculations) to show you how much weight the TT tongue places/subtracts on the truck axles. If you cannot find these online or in your TV manual, you can use a tape measure and measure the truck the best you can.

Tell us these ratings: On GM's these are on the driver’s side door sticker. Do not know where yours are.

5. GVWR on your TV you gave us 6,030#
This is correct

6. Front axle ratings on your TV (GAWR-FRT)
3160 lb.

7. Rear axle ratings on your TV (GAWR-RR)
3760 lb.

We are missing 6 and 7. These ratings are max your axles can take. Front and rear are generally different. And both of these do not add up to the GVWR. They are more than the GVWR if added. They do this so you have some flexibility in loading a TV. However you can be under GVWR and over a Gross Axle Weight Rating. This one alone is what most do not know to go look for. We look at question 1 & 2 in relation to 6 and 7.

8. GCWR on the TV. you gave us
11,800# This is correct

On the TT (IF) these can be determined. Yes I'm going all the way here to show you how all this works. If you cannot get this we can work around it, just there will be some holes that are not filled in. These you will not find online that I know of. I have only been able to measure these. These help tell us how much weight the WD hitch will transfer to the TT wheels. For you right now, unless another forum member supplies these or you can measure them yourself at a dealers lot, you will not be able to get them. For right now I can estimate these. There are other forum members pictures online of a 1950 and we know the bumper to ball length of SunlineRV.com. So I can rough scale these numbers. Please estimate or "work around"

Ideally so I can calculate this:

9. Distance from TT ball center to center of front axle.

10. Distance from TT front axle to rear axle centers.

JohnB will estimate 9 & 10
Please estimate for T1950

If you plan on towing with fresh water, Need

11. Distance from TT ball center to center of fresh tank. Will not tow with any "fresh or waste" water weight.

Since you will not tow with fresh water, we do not have to do these.
Correct.

12. On your 1950 we can estimate that you will add, 750 to 850# camping gear. This is actually a light camper as most are 1,000# and more. The larger the TT the more you can put in.

For right now will stick with the 850#. And I will make some estimates on how much your dry tongue weight will increase. "Use 850#, but this will be high for us".

This math process the first time is a little bit of an exercise. However once it is shown to you and explained, it is not that complex. When you see the raw numbers you can see exactly where your TV/TT combination comes out. The problems have come on where to go looking. Forums like SunlineClub help others figure this out.

I have yet to find a dealer do this. It takes some time and they normally do not spend it on the sale. There may well be some very experienced dealers out there, and I hope there is, but I have not found them yet dig to this level. They just ask, what is your tow rating and how much does the TT weight? And they leave it you to make sure your rig is sound. In some cases this actually works if the TV is large enough to over come. However in most cases like in yours and other innocent camper folks, looking at only GVWR and Tow ratings will not cover all the variables.

---------

Drumrollllll

And the formula is....

BB

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Here are some formulas to aid in calculating if you’re towing within manufacturer’s limits.
Or to determine if your tow vehicle has sufficient towing capability based on weight of cargo & trailer.

Total Loaded TV + Total Loaded TT < TV’s GCWR
Total Loaded TV + TT Tongue Weight < TV’s GVWR
Total Loaded TT < TT GVWR
TT Tongue Weight + TV Load on Rear Axle < TV’s GRAWR
Weight of Cargo in TV + Weight of Passengers in TV + Total Loaded TT < TV’s Tow Rating.

All formulas have to be within limits to safely tow iaw manufacturer’s specifications. There are no fudge factors to manufacturers limits (i.e., GCWR, GVWR, GRAWR, Tow Rating, etc.), as some people may try to say. Exceeding any limits will allow the manufacturer to null and void their warrantee. And potentially worse, if you should get in an accident and it’s shown you’re over manufacture’s weight limits there could be legal and/or civil ramifications.

And the type of hitched used (or selected) will have NO impact on weight limits. For example, some people may say you can tow more with a Hensley Arrow, that is not true.

Weighing the TV & TT as loaded for a trip on a truck scale is best. However, estimates can be used to obtain a rough idea to see how close TV & TT are to limits.
For example if TV's GVWR + TT's GVWR < TV's GCWR, then you know that formula is good as long as you don't over load either the TV or TT.

If you exceed any limits you need to:
1. Reduce weight of cargo (in either TV, TT or both).
2. Get a bigger TV
3. Get a smaller TT.

Other rules of thumb are:
TT Tongue weight should be 10-15% of Total Loaded TT.

If travel out west over mountains is in the plans:
Total Loaded TV + Total Loaded TT should be 80% (or less) of TV’s GCWR.
This is to maintain sufficient power at 7,000 ft. It’s estimated that ~3% of horsepower is lost for each 1,000 ft above sea level.

Acronyms used:
GCWR = Gross Capacity Weight Rating
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GRAWR = Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating
TT = Travel Trailer
TV = Tow Vehicle
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hutch

Good post. Your right on.

BB, I answered your quest in the other post.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote