Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

SUN #637
thesteigers
Purchase service plan for used trailer??

We purchased a used 2004 Sunline Solaris 2199 travel trailer from a dealership. The trailer is in good condition and doesn't look like it was used much. They are offering us a service plan by Redex Care (deluxe level) for $1419 for four years coverage. We plan to be travelling full time in the trailer for at least 2 years so we will be using it extensively. There is a $150 deductible for each incident. We're trying to figure out if the service plan is worth the money. We are fairly handy and will do as much maintenance/repairs as we can. There's an additional tire choice plan for $500 (no deductible) which is unlimited towing, flat tire service calls, etc.

Any thoughts/advice/experience with these service plans??

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Thesteigers

First off, welcome to the club and congratulations on your new (to you) Sunline.

My suggestion wrt a service plan, put the $1419 in the bank and create your own service plan, be self insured. Pay yourself a premium each year, what every you decide on, $200, $500, etc. Then if anything goes wrong you have the $ to pay for repairs. Plus it’s still your money and if you don't see your first problem until the 5th year – you still have the money to cover the cost.

Your trailer is only 4 years old and if the previous owners took good care of it, you shouldn’t have any problems with it. The last Sunline we had for 7 years without a single problem. The people we sold it too, haven’t had any problems since and it’s 10 years old now.

When we bought our current Sunline, I look very long and hard at Continue Service Plans. Knowing that we wanted to keep this trailer for a long time. After comparing the cost of a CSP and the cost of repairs (the most costly would be an appliance, such as the refer, A/C, etc.) I decided to create my own CSP and put money aside just in case. This way I'm not throwing money away. In the long run I think I'll be ahead of the game.

That just my opinion.
Good luck.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto

I agree with Hutch. Rv's are fairly reliable. We have not had a service plan in our 8 years of almost full time RVing, some 80,000 plus miles, and have not had a major failure. The minor issues, like a thermocouple failure on a refrigerator, cost less than the deductible to fix.

This is particularly true if you are the least bit handy. Buy a good RV repair manual or two. At the very minimum a good repair manual will provide an education. If you're not handy be friendly, someone always knows how to fix whatever.

When you're fulltiming and nowhere it's good to have a little confidence and ability.

We do carry Good Sam's Emergency Road Service, primarily for tire changing on our motorhome. We have done it ourselves but it's not fun plus they do towing amongst other things.

Long term RVing is a blast, I've never ben so relaxed. It's much better than weekend RVing or vacation RVing, the absence of a schedule is magic.

Have a great time.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV