Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #1

SUN #869
tony17112acst
How Do I Fix Shrunken Window Seals? - See Photos

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble finding information on the large white rubber seals on the exterior of windows. Mine have shrunken in length and they no longer meet and there are VERY large gaps now that they have shrunken. I am worried that I may see leakage.

#1: Are these rubber seals critical to keeping water out or are they more decorative?

#2: What's the best way to handle fixing them? ...caulk? order new seals?

Thanks for any input; I want to fix this ASAP because of the possibility of water leaking in!

Please see the 2 photos below:

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm thinking that's just trim because there is no way it could form a tight seal but it's kind of ugly!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

SUN #9333
JohnByrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble finding information on the large white rubber seals on the exterior of windows. Mine have shrunken in length and they no longer meet and there are VERY large gaps now that they have shrunken. I am worried that I may see leakage.

#1: Are these rubber seals critical to keeping water out or are they more decorative?

#2: What's the best way to handle fixing them? ...caulk? order new seals?

Thanks for any input; I want to fix this ASAP because of the possibility of water leaking in!

Please see the 2 photos below:

I'm wanting to replace all of mine too....following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a discussion with JohnB about these a couple weeks ago. He said they are strictly cosmetic.

Kinro window vinyl & trim
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

SUN #869
tony17112acst
OK, good! ...and thanks for that info. I say that because I was close to caulking the big gaps just to be sure nothing was getting in.

I may just purchase some of the "glazing bead" (i found the official name) from an online company and install them.

I may remove the longest one and trim it to fit a smaller window and save on materials.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes, they are only cosmetic. They are not a water seal. I have many that are shrunk for a long time. No leaks. The glass is sealed to the frame.

See this thread for a link at the bottom to Pellands site for more options on the trim. The problem may be getting it in small lengths. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ent-17603.html

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

SUN #869
tony17112acst
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did find that link and ordered the sample for $4. I also just got my trailer inspected today and the place was a former Sunline dealer! So they said indeed the outside rubber glazing bead is not sealing anything.

The technician also suggested one option to follow (in addition to others) is to remove the strip, heat it up and stretch it, then add some sealant internally every few inches to stop it from shrinking over time - the sealant should hold it in place.

Also once removed, it'd be a good time to spot-bleach the outer discolored (mildewy) surface and turn it white again.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #8

SUN #9498
Draughty is an unknown quantity at this point
I just pulled the one on front window. Slanted back front so the bottom edge holds water when it rains and the bottom corner had shrunken away from the bed it should be into as well. It appears I get some leakage from there so I pulled it and am soaking it in a bleach and water solution to get rid of the black mildew etc...
I am going to see if it is leaking there for certain and if it is I have some RV caulk I can use to fill behind the bead seal and will leave the seam where the ends meet at top center where it should have been all along! I will try to add some pictures as I put it back together...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

SUN #9498
Okay..did a test and it isn't leaking there as stated above! Just posted a question as to possible location of the intrusion.. I am baffled!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #10

SUN #9498
I was a bit more detailed on another thread but I found this when I took the seals completely out.
Basically in the bottom corner on the front wall which is not vertical bit laid back a few degrees for wind resistance.
This leaves the bottom edge susceptible to water intrusion and eventually can loosen the original sealing adhesive that secures the glass to the primary frame.
For now I worked some RV caulking into and around the trouble spots that were leaking very slowly. In time I will need to pull the glass and re-adhere the panel to the frame or completely replace the window assembly and if I can find a slider to fit that hole I may well do that.
I have Hehr windows in my Advancer if that tells you anything. I'm still too new to this to know one vendor from another.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
I was a bit more detailed on another thread but I found this when I took the seals completely out.
Basically in the bottom corner on the front wall which is not vertical bit laid back a few degrees for wind resistance.
This leaves the bottom edge susceptible to water intrusion and eventually can loosen the original sealing adhesive that secures the glass to the primary frame.
For now I worked some RV caulking into and around the trouble spots that were leaking very slowly. In time I will need to pull the glass and re-adhere the panel to the frame or completely replace the window assembly and if I can find a slider to fit that hole I may well do that.
I have Hehr windows in my Advancer if that tells you anything. I'm still too new to this to know one vendor from another.

Good idea to fill that spot.

Sunline used Hehr windows from just about the beginning up through 2002, when they went to Kinro windows.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #12

SUN #869
tony17112acst
I'm the OP, and if anyone is interested, I found the white glazing bead that fits my windows (I have a 2007 T-1950).

It can be purchased here:

Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - RV Windows

If the link ever goes bad, I found it at Pelland Enterprises and the model is KRV08524 and comes in white only and is sold by the foot.

I ordered a sample kit with several glazing beads to choose from and not only does it fit perfectly, but when comparing the profile/cross section of the rubber, it's a perfect match as well.

-Tony
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #13

SUN #9498
Okay had mine out and one got an unintended extended stay in a bleach water bath.
I wasn't sure if the bleach might affect the plastic but after several days (over a week I didn't keep track) in the solution this one came out white! It started nearly if not quite as bad as those I am about to stick into the same closed container as the previous ones.
My front window seal had to go back in after just a few days in the solution so it wasn't as white as this one but it is definitely better...
So if you have time and patience and want them to look nearly new this is the way to go..
Unintended side benefit is a good close look at the seal of the window to the frame as this is the only way to see it.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

SUN #869
tony17112acst
Outstanding! I'm going to try that too and then order a small section to replace the main shrunken one I have. If the bleach hurts the rubber long term, hopefully it's not a big deal since it does not keep water out and is mostly cosmetic.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #15

SUN #9498
I did put caulk in behind and around the one on that front window since the original glazing seal was letting go in the corners so on that window it is providing some seal.
I was thinking and here in the North if it sits outside and this one will that seal may be a help against ice building up in that lower channel no the window and causing problems during freeze thaw cycles.. I am putting some thought into that before I put it to bed for the winter!

Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #16

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Chlorine evaporates so if it's an open container you may need to add more bleach
Old 08-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #17

SUN #9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormiss View Post
Chlorine evaporates so if it's an open container you may need to add more bleach
Good point it's an old Costco potato salad container with the lid on it that I am using.