Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't keep the mice out!

Hi,

I've been busy putting off camper projects so haven't been on here for a while. But I unfortunately can not keep the mice out of my camper. Each time I think I've gotten them all, new ones show up.

I have checked and rechecked all around and under the camper. I've had 2 other people check as well. We've sealed all areas that look obtainable to them. I've been monitoring the wheel wells, as that seems to be where they were getting in and I've stuffed them with steal wool. I've also gotten better quality steel wool but haven't had a chance to switch it out (because I've been on crutches, injured).

Can anyone share other unusual, unseen spots we may have missed where mice could get in? 3 years no mice issues and the last 1.5 year I can't keep them out. It's so frustrating!! And they are starting to do some real damage.

I also have a busy mousing cat, so feel like I've done all I can do.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
I had mice once and never want them again, what a pain to clean up after.
I use moth balls in the off season now, residual smell doesn't bother me but my wife hates it.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Well just got a better mousetrap there is such a thing it involves a 5 gal bucket peanut butter and this.
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Mouse...27829240&psc=1
They are extremely effective in the first week we got rid of literally dozens of mice a small bord or two makes effective ramps.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw on Pinterest that some people use Irish Spring soap to keep mice out. Supposedly mice don't like it. I cut up a bar and put the pieces in the pantry. The smell was strong when I open the door but the smell has faded a little and not so bad now. I am planning to do the same in the cargo areas. I did do the steel wool in the power cord hatch. I have not seen any but I have had them in the house and figured it was only a matter of time or I just haven't seen them yet.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

SUN #2097
We live in the middle of 80 acres in Maine we have tried numerous things to deal with mice I tried every trick ever listed trying to keep them out of my old motor home including gluey louie's on top of the tires. Steel wool in the holes keep them out just long enough for them to chew another hole. We have cats that doesn't work either they breed faster than a cat can eat. Honestly I have never seen anything that works faster or better than the bucket and roller. If you are looking for a humane way to kill mice there is none. I very seldom endorse things but this thing really works! If there is no food in an RV they come out to feed and they love peanut butter more than anything else.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
We live in the middle of 80 acres in Maine we have tried numerous things to deal with mice I tried every trick ever listed trying to keep them out of my old motor home including gluey louie's on top of the tires. Steel wool in the holes keep them out just long enough for them to chew another hole. We have cats that doesn't work either they breed faster than a cat can eat. Honestly I have never seen anything that works faster or better than the bucket and roller. If you are looking for a humane way to kill mice there is none. I very seldom endorse things but this thing really works! If there is no food in an RV they come out to feed and they love peanut butter more than anything else.
We bought the whole "Maine Mouse Trap" contraption years ago. There was no picture and we were surprised to get a plastic bucket with the roller and stick for the mouse to climb. For $50 or so. Laughed that we got caught unawares , but Yankee ingenuity at work. So, we improvised and have made many like it in the last years ! Truly a great thing to have . We use RV antifreeze in it.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh.. it came with tongs to fish out the mouse LOL.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Mice

I’ve used a similar “bucket of death” to get rid of chipmunks. It works.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

SUN #5290
Gixxer340 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a cheaper variation on the theme that works for chipmunks and mice. Fill a 3 or 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full with water. Buy some sunflower seeds from you local tractor supply (or other store). Cover the top of the water with seeds (they float). Put a ramp with a couple seeds on it. The see the seeds floating and think it is a solid surface and jump right in. I have caught many mice and chipmunks this way.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

SUN #7918
ddbozo101 is an unknown quantity at this point
No mouse for years

We use bags of "Fresh Cab" through out the camper, especially where there are vents in floor etc. My husband also made out of Plexiglas, covers for the a/c unit, refrigerator and heater units, they are totally enclosed and we also put in moth balls for spiders etc in the units. During the winter months we are able to see if any droppings etc behind the Plexiglas. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:01 AM   #11

SUN #10685
Spirit Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
What might i ask is "fresh cab" Cheers Ron
Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #12
RHS

SUN #10585
RHS is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi; I hear that Bounce dryer sheets work because the mice hate the smell. I told a friend about them when she had them in her car and she said they worked for her. We recently bought our first camper and one of the first things I did was to put bounce dryer sheets into all the storage spaces and under the tub and in the closet.

Rod
Old 08-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #13

SUN #10685
Spirit Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used dryer sheets ! they help as does pepermint oil on cotton balls
Cheers Ron
Old 08-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

SUN #2097
I kind of hate the smell of that stuff I would almost rather the critters! Putting up a barrier usually does not help much. I park mowers etc under a shed roof get this last year they chewed the gas cap all most off a push mower. Yes the fuel cap looking for a winter home!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #15

SUN #7918
ddbozo101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fresh Cab

https://www.earthkind.com/fresh-cab/

I have not see mice in years.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #16

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbozo101 View Post
Fresh Cab

H'mm have not heard of this. They also seems to have a product called Stay Away. Don't know the difference between the Fresh Cab and the Stay Away just read about it on their site. Thanks for the link.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #17

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jeff,

It looks like there may be a switch on the left to turn on the water pump. Is there?

With the red mystery wire unhooked, (left open) And if you turn on the water pump switch, does the "Pump On" red light light up?

If that pump switch and light works with the red wire unhooked, then somehow that tank panel has a 12 volt DC Positive and negative wire already feeding it. Sort of pointing to that the red wire is "not" a power source to run the tank panel. Or a ground either. It's something else..

Also next to the pump switch, (we think it is a pump switch) there is a "Read" button. If you press that "read" button assuming it is a button, what happens?

That may be the button to read the tank levels and maybe the battery charge status.

And there is an "Adjust" knob stud, the knob may be missing. Is that a multi position rotary switch? Like maybe 3 positions? Maybe you turn that knob (or the stud) and it selects what tank to read when you press the Read button. That way you can see the reading in the 3 tanks. Select the tank you want, then read the level. And for the water tank, that red light just means it might be reading the battery status and the fresh tank in the same selector switch position.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #18

SUN #4422
i'll check out the fresh cab and a couple of these ideas. thanks.

i also hate the smell of moth balls or anything chemically like irish spring soap, where the smell will linger.

i don't need to know how to kill mice. i can do that fine. i want to keep them from getting in!! and i don't understand how they are continuing to get in after all my efforts. right now it seems like they've taken a break but they'll be back.

thanks for all these suggestions. i've been consumed with a knee injury, so one for the mice for now.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #19

SUN #4422
hi john, i think your comment below went onto the wrong post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Jeff,

It looks like there may be a switch on the left to turn on the water pump. Is there?

With the red mystery wire unhooked, (left open) And if you turn on the water pump switch, does the "Pump On" red light light up?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #20

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbozo101 View Post
Fresh Cab

Do you live in the country as well? From what i see this is a repellent, not a poison/killer. Correct? I want to know if it will be safe for my cat to be around, or if she were to catch/eat a mouse that she would be unharmed.

thanks for the lead.