Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
awh

SUN #11746
awh is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning details

I have a 95/96 Solaris with a torn awning. It's length is 17 feet but I do not know the width (full extension Measurement). Trailer is 300 miles away on my site so can't get to it to measure, Probably got 4 feet of snow on and around it. Can anyone give me a good guess.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #2

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, you're going to need to find out what specific model you have to get good advice here. Solaris is a style name, which includes a number of specific models. They usually start with T-something--for instance, my '99 Solaris is a T-1950.

What you are calling the length is usually referred to as the width, and how far out it extends is the depth. As far as I know, the width is usually the only spec given for awnings, because they pretty universally have the same size roller and support arms.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi AWH,

Welcome!

Did you sort out your awning yet?

Ideally you know if your awning is a Dometic brand. That is what Sunline would have shipped in 95 I do believe. I think the Faulkner pines were the really old ones. The Dometic Sunchaser awning was popular. We do not know if a prior owner changed the awning system as it may have been ripped off in a storm etc and there are other brands (Carefree, Lippert etc).

A few things on sizes for most all roll up awnings. The running length down the side of the camper, you stated 17'. If you have that from a brochure length, that is the nominal length of the awning system. Some awning places call that dimension, width. The actual fabric length could be 6 to 10" shorter. My 21' foot awning has a fabric length of 20' 2" when new. Many aftermarket sellers of awnings know that the awning needs to be short in length, so if you tell them you have a 17' awning, they will give you a shorter length to fit that nominal 17' awning.

On the extension dimension, meaning from the bead rail on the camper gutter at the roof, out the the cord slot in the awning tube, when I ordered my replacement awning back in 2013, the place it bought it from then, SunWave awing fabric from https://www.rvawningsmart.com/produc...cement-fabric/ wanted to know both dimensions of the fabric. Running length (width) and extension length. Since then, about 2 years ago, my son bought one from them for his 2006 Sunline, and they now only ask for the width, (the running length down the camper). As Tinnstaafl stated, the Dometic roller tubes are the same diameter regardless of length, so they roll up in that direction the same and they only ask for the width now. You can also buy a Dometic replacement fabric if your awning is a Dometic.

A few other things on awnings,

The old vinyl awning on the camper shrinks over time. So your 10 year old or older actual dimensions can be shorter than the new one.

They make both cloth (acrylic) and vinyl awnings. Both are good, both have their own pluses and minuses. Both clean very differently and what you can clean vinyl with you cannot always clean the cloth with. It comes down to personal preference. Make sure you look which one you are buying.

On vinyl awnings, check to see if it is 2 layer or 1 layer. 1 layer is cheaper and also does not last as long as 2 layer. Sunline shipped the awnings as new with 2 layer. I made sure I bought the 2 layer. I have seen the 1 layer ones, they do work, it is more of a longevity issue on the layers. Point being, make sure you pick the one you want for the price.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #4

SUN #11791
East on 72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

My 21' foot awning has a fabric length of 20' 2" when new. Many aftermarket sellers of awnings know that the awning needs to be short in length, so if you tell them you have a 17' awning, they will give you a shorter length to fit that nominal 17' awning.

On the extension dimension, meaning from the bead rail on the camper gutter at the roof, out the the cord slot in the awning tube, when I ordered my replacement awning back in 2013, the place it bought it from then, SunWave awing fabric from https://www.rvawningsmart.com/produc...cement-fabric/ wanted to know both dimensions of the fabric.
Hey John,
I've been eyeing down the same awning you've gotten from the same people and it's a Sunwave 21'. Just want to know how yours is holding up since you've gotten it?
Old 03-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi East on 72,

The first Sunwave awning fabric I bought in may of 2013 on our T310SR is still doing well now, 9 years later. We have since bought 2 others for my project camper and my son's camper. I have installed a 4th Sunwave for a friend, making 5 Sunwave's to compare.

They have held up well from my usage and what I have seen.

I have noticed when my first Sunwave awning was new, the vinyl is softer as it is not sun exposed yet, the dirt may slightly stick to it easier then a 10 year old sun hardened one. This slight dirt attraction difference between a new Sunwave and an old Dometic is hard to tell if Dometic new, will be any better. I have had a new Dometic on my 2004 T2499 when we bought it new in 2003, but I never had a Sunwave back then to compare the dirt stick to it. The Dometic new may do the same thing when new. I'm just mentioning it to be objective. The Sunwave on the T310SR now does not seem to get the dirt stick issue, that I notice. I'm not totally sure when it changed from new to not so much as an issue. I'm estimating about the end of year 1 or 2 into its life.

Hope this helps,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 03:45 AM   #6

SUN #11791
East on 72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi AWH,

Welcome!

Did you sort out your awning yet?

Ideally you know if your awning is a Dometic brand. That is what Sunline would have shipped in 95 I do believe. I think the Faulkner pines were the really old ones. The Dometic Sunchaser awning was popular. We do not know if a prior owner changed the awning system as it may have been ripped off in a storm etc and there are other brands (Carefree, Lippert etc).

A few things on sizes for most all roll up awnings. The running length down the side of the camper, you stated 17'. If you have that from a brochure length, that is the nominal length of the awning system. Some awning places call that dimension, width. The actual fabric length could be 6 to 10" shorter. My 21' foot awning has a fabric length of 20' 2" when new. Many aftermarket sellers of awnings know that the awning needs to be short in length, so if you tell them you have a 17' awning, they will give you a shorter length to fit that nominal 17' awning.

On the extension dimension, meaning from the bead rail on the camper gutter at the roof, out the the cord slot in the awning tube, when I ordered my replacement awning back in 2013, the place it bought it from then, SunWave awing fabric from https://www.rvawningsmart.com/produc...cement-fabric/ wanted to know both dimensions of the fabric. Running length (width) and extension length. Since then, about 2 years ago, my son bought one from them for his 2006 Sunline, and they now only ask for the width, (the running length down the camper). As Tinnstaafl stated, the Dometic roller tubes are the same diameter regardless of length, so they roll up in that direction the same and they only ask for the width now. You can also buy a Dometic replacement fabric if your awning is a Dometic.

A few other things on awnings,

The old vinyl awning on the camper shrinks over time. So your 10 year old or older actual dimensions can be shorter than the new one.

They make both cloth (acrylic) and vinyl awnings. Both are good, both have their own pluses and minuses. Both clean very differently and what you can clean vinyl with you cannot always clean the cloth with. It comes down to personal preference. Make sure you look which one you are buying.

On vinyl awnings, check to see if it is 2 layer or 1 layer. 1 layer is cheaper and also does not last as long as 2 layer. Sunline shipped the awnings as new with 2 layer. I made sure I bought the 2 layer. I have seen the 1 layer ones, they do work, it is more of a longevity issue on the layers. Point being, make sure you pick the one you want for the price.

Hope this helps

John
Thank you for the input! Looks that I'll be getting that sunwave to replace the 25+ year Dometic that I currently have.