Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
MCM

SUN #8721
MCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Refrig replacement

Looking at an ‘86 Saturn 1550, the fridge was changed to only Elec by former owner. We plan to dry camp mostly so would want to change back to gas/elec, or just gas. Any input appreciated. Thanks Mike

Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi MCM,

I priced a replacement a year or so ago and the 2-way fridges are a bit pricey. You might want to see if you can find a used one. I have a 1987 T1550 and it has a Dometic RM2300 2-way (elec/gas) unit. Dometic does not make this model anymore. Below is a link to a file that lists replacement models for Dometic fridges.

http://www.campersdirect.com/susqrv/...ew&fileid=2428

Maybe this can get you started.

Tommie

Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
MCM

SUN #8721
MCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, thanks for that info. Mike
Old 04-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

SUN #10337
sallyforth is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for posting that! I need to figure out if I am just going to pull out the old one and put in a electric one. Can you use a small dorm room type fridge?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

SUN #8893
I have read where some have replaced the original fridges with electric mini and dorm styles. You have to measure the opening in your trailer and find one that will fit. I am guessing you would also need to make sure that it is secured during travel.

Me personally, if mine stops working, I will probably go back with another gas/elec. Probably used if I could find one that would fit.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #6

SUN #10337
It would fit, and would be a free temporary fix. I may just store the other fridge unless I can troubleshoot its issue. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

SUN #8893
What is the make and model#? One of the senior members may be able to help you through troubleshooting to see if you can get it working.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If I were looking at a used trailer and it had a dorm fridge I would instantly drop my price to match the cost of a new gas fridge.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile ditto, Mainah

what's the point of an elec only fridge unless one camps exclusively w/ hookups or runs a generator 24/7
I'd rather have a good ice chest

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #10

SUN #2097
I guess it's safe to say if you are near an outlet you probably would use ele. power because of the convenience. I plug my camper in at home and run the fridge on ele. to cool it off then switch to gas when I'm on the road and generally leave it there even when I'm at a campground for a couple of days it uses so little gas and I think it works better on gas. Motorhomes often have a 12 volt option for use on the road I think the reasoning is an open flame when refueling but the bottom line a gas fridge for camping can't be beat and worth the money even over a modern DC one. I like my older fridge too because it does not need any form of power to operate and I would look for a manual lighter type if I had to replace mine.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
If I were looking at a used trailer and it had a dorm fridge I would instantly drop my price to match the cost of a new gas fridge.
YES YES YES!! It really bugs me how many people replace with dorm type and think the trailer is worth as much or more, just because it's new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
what's the point of an elec only fridge unless one camps exclusively w/ hookups or runs a generator 24/7
I'd rather have a good ice chest
It's literally just price. Dorm refrigerators can be had for under $100 depending on the size, and an RV one is like $500 or more, plus more than likely a trip to an RV dealer.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

SUN #10337
Dometic RM 2301 won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
What is the make and model#? One of the senior members may be able to help you through troubleshooting to see if you can get it working.
Its a Dometic RM2301 gas/electric. I put it in storage for a temporary fix, I also had to replace my hot water heater so I needed to use the free dorm fridge for now. Its a tiny pain in the behind, but between that and a good cooler we will make it for now. So my issue is that when it is plugged into the outlet its blows my trailer breaker. Plugged into shore power it does nothing. My propane line needs help and has a leak so I didn't try it on the gas setting yet.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #13

SUN #2097
I'm a little confused in order to make it work on AC the camper kind of needs to be plugged in to shore power. Do you mean you plugged it into an extension cord and nothing happens? So if that's the case was it on long enough to cool down? Try it again with the extension and feel the round chimney at the back after a few minutes and see if it gets warm. Inspect the extension cord make sure it's 3 wire and the ground pin is not missing. One other thing what breaker is tripping there maybe 3 breakers or just 2.