Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Bulb Replacement

I was answering a topic on another post and thought, I should post this here for all to know.

I know most carry a Mag-Lite flashlight in their vehicle and one in the Sunline. A year ago I saw one of the L.E.D. bulbs that is a direct replacement for the standard bulb in the flashlights.

One of my biggest pet peeves was everytime I would need the light, it seemed the bulb was dim or completely burned out. We tend to use the flashlights quite a bit when camping. Now with the new L.E.D. bulbs, we have gone for a full year with the same bulbs, and the same batteries in our lights!! L.E.D. bulbs tend to draw a fraction of the power that standard bulbs do.

So for all those that carry these great lights, look for a L.E.D. replacement bulb. It'll probably last the lifetime of the light and will save money in the long run. I cant wait till I can find affordable L.E.D. bulbs for all the fixtures in the Coach

Thanks
Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Ok, I was trying to find a link to add to my post, and this site that I'm always checking out to see what they offer, has just now added a bunch of 12volt bulbs that might fit in our fixtures!!

I think I might order some of these and will post a reply to what I think of them. I've found a few in the past, but I usually end up sending them back because they just dont match the output of the standard bulb.

I'll be sure to post any comments on what I think of them.

Oh, here is the link to the site incase any of you want to do any of your own research. I know a bunch of people have been asking how to conserve power while dry-camping. This is probably one of the biggest ways to conserve power is to use less voltage products.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Good Luck
Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

My Dad has one of those LED bulbs in one of his 1 million Mag Lites. It seems to work quite well, though he's only had it in since this past winter. He found it while wandering the isles at Home Depot one day. I've only used that one once or twice and my one complaint is the light won't focus in a small area like the standard bulb did. But, it beats having to replace the bulb all the time!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
That's where I think I bought it was in Home Depot.

That's probably my only complaint is that it wont focus, but I rarely changed the beam pattern anyway, so I dont mind too much. In all my research of LED bulbs, I've found that you cant change the brightness of them like you can a standard bulb.

I've ordered a few LED Bulbs for the different lights we have on our Sunlines, all in all, I can only find two different styles on my 2499. Once I get them and test the differences between their brightnesses, I'll make sure to let you all know.

In the past six months, I cant believe how much these bulbs have come down in price. When we were having our camper built, I talked with Carl Kern about having all the lights be LED's and we looked into the prices. Most of the bulbs were in the $20 to $30 range I just ordered the 921 bulb for $5 and the bulb for the reading lamps for under $5!!

If they work and have the same brightness, as every bulb needs replacing, I'll switch all to LED's. SInce most LED's have a 10,000 hour lifespan, I'm thinking I'll never have to replace a bulb again. That and the energy savings should pay for itself in the first few months

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #5

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a 3W LED replacement for my 2 D cell Mag Lite at Wal Mart. I think it's the best "mod" for those you can get. By the time you have to replace the batteries the bulb has paid for itself. The LED is much brighter and you can still focus the beam.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

SUN #115
emam
OK, I got the Bulbs today, and they fit perfectly in the receptacles.

These are the replacements for the 921 bulb styles and I bought the 12 LED Bulb style replacement. They are really bright, But Cindy says she doesnt want me to replace every fixture just yet with the LED's.

The LED's give off a very clean white light, and she thinks it's too steirle for some situations. We plan on switching over most of the fixtures to these LED's and once we find the right one to replace the reading lights, I'll order more of those too. I ordered one I thought would fit, but it turns out the post is too narrow?

I plan on taking a picture of the difference between the lighting at night, but I just got them in the mail and it's early morning, so you'll all have to wait till this evening.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com