Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Owners Meet & Greet
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
2008 Eastern M&G Hitch Talk

Fellow Sunline’ers

Saturday morning after breakfast a “hitch talk” will be presented to give an overview on setting up Weight Distribution hitches on your tow vehicle (TV) and sway control. A few Club members have already inquired about hitch questions and we thought we would create a small presentation on common questions about hitch and towing setups.

This will be a show and tell type presentation in a very open format where you can see and ask any and all questions. The intent is to help fellow campers have a better understanding about towing setups. The presentation will show Reese brand hitches however in our camping group this weekend we also have Equal-I-izer, Hensley and other brands that their owners can help explain if needed. This is not a brand or style specific discussion and what will be presented applies to all brand hitches, trailer layouts and tow vehicles.

If you would like to come, you can post here, PM me or just show up on Saturday. If I have an idea in advance of who might be coming I can prepare a little better.

When is it: Saturday morning at 10:30 am. (Should wrap up by 11:15AM)

Where will it be: Everyone will meet in the Group Tent area than head over to Site # 113.

Who may want to attend:
  • * Anyone towing a Travel Trailer (TT) that has never had an explanation on how all this hitch and towing stuff works and why it is important to understand.
    * Anyone experiencing any level of travel trailer sway.
    * Anyone needing some pointers on how to setup their WD hitch of most any brand.
    * Anyone owning a Reese HP Dual Cam Sway control system and things to watch out for when setting it up.
    * Anyone just looking to expand their knowledge.
What will be discussed: The topics of discussion will include:
  • * Why is Weight Distribution important and how to know if you have it.
    * Why is proper TT balance important and how to obtain it.
    * Weight Distributing hitches and a basic understanding of how they work and how to adjust.
    * Sizing of hitch components and what are all these rating numbers about.
    * Trailer sway, what to look for, what can affect it and some top level things on how to control it in your towing setup.
    * The Reese HP Dual Cam sway control system and things to watch out for that can break the hitch if setup wrong.
    * Where can you get help if you have a towing problem?
Hope to see you there.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

SUN #549
frank
Sounds good, John. I'll be listening in for sure.

- Frank

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #3

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
I'm very interested as well and look forward to learning as much as you're willing to share!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #4

SUN #549
frank
John, are you camera-shy?

I could bring along the camcorder and record the talk for those who miss it. Might be helpful for others in the future?

- Frank
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
John, are you camera-shy?

Might be helpful for others in the future?

- Frank
Frank, the thought of Funniest home videos did come to mind. LOL

For future, I am working on building a how to with pics MS word file/post on various brands of TT tongue and TV configurations. I have it in bits and pieces from helping others and my own TT’s/TV’s that I need to condense in a picture note file that sort of flows. Folks with 4”, 5” 6” and 8” frame widths and then round bar, trunnion bar hitch, ball coupler on top, in the middle and on the bottom of the tongue sort of all create different combinations. Each TT and each brand TT/TV can have slightly different and unique things that makes the generic 1 size fits all manufacture instructions not fit all applications. Some TT’s and TV’s dial right in easy, no problem. Others take more work to get there.

The picture post might be more helpful and even some still shots of your setup to add to my collection of combinations of setup.

Looking forward to Friday as where going “camp in” Is it here yet???

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB

Frank, the thought of Funniest home videos did come to mind. LOL

For future, I am working on building a how to with pics MS word file/post on various brands of TT tongue and TV configurations. I have it in bits and pieces from helping others and my own TT’s/TV’s that I need to condense in a picture note file that sort of flows. Folks with 4”, 5” 6” and 8” frame widths and then round bar, trunnion bar hitch, ball coupler on top, in the middle and on the bottom of the tongue sort of all create different combinations. Each TT and each brand TT/TV can have slightly different and unique things that makes the generic 1 size fits all manufacture instructions not fit all applications. Some TT’s and TV’s dial right in easy, no problem. Others take more work to get there.

The picture post might be more helpful and even some still shots of your setup to add to my collection of combinations of setup.

Looking forward to Friday as where going “camp in” Is it here yet???

John

That word doc you sent me last week is certainly an excellent start. You are certainly welcome to pictures of mine if you feel it's setup correctly
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

SUN #83
Both2Retired
2008 Eastern M&G Hitch Talk

John,
I, too, am interested in your presentation. I'll be there.
John

5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote