Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

SUN #3517
fastphilly43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing A/C on an '85

Hi Everyone, I have come across an older Dometic A/C unit that I can purchase & was wondering the process involved in installing this. The unit is model SL135R-B and I am looking to put it in a 1985 22 foot Sunline. My ceiling vent in the kitchen has a outlet right next to it stating it is for air conditioning. IS this as simple as taking off the vent cover, putting the unit on top of the vent & plugging in? I came here because I imagine that nothing is that simple. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Since your Sunline was pre-wired for A/C, that would also mean that the roof in that area is also built strong enough to hold a rooftop unit. Installing an A/C isn't too terribly difficult, but there are still precautions to be taken. Your unit being an 85, I would also tend to think that the roof is strong enough to walk on. I would test the roof, before committing my full weight on it. The post-1995(?) units came with a rubber roof, that was not meant to be walked on. There is a procedure HERE that explains how to properly distribute your weight, should your roof not be up to it.

As far as installing the A/C itself, I did an install on our fifth wheel. It was also pre-wired for an air conditioner. The process won't be exactly like mine, but you should be able to glean enough useful information to be a help.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ics-14118.html

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

SUN #3517
fastphilly43 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is great information, with the pictures. Thank you for that! I can walk on my roof & have been up there last year to seal all the seams. I had thought that the air conditioning just plugged into an outlet, but that is obviously not the case. So now I am a little leery because I thought I would be able to hear this run before purchasing.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE][So now I am a little leery because I thought I would be able to hear this run before purchasing. /QUOTE]

If the controls/thermostat are built into the unit, you could temporarily wire a plug onto the 120v wires to see if it works.

It's fairly simple if the wires are identified....

Hot (Usually black or red) to gold/brass screw, Neutral (white) to silver screw, Ground (green) to green screw.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you remove the trim piece for your vent from the inside you maybe able to see the wiring tucked up under the trim. If there is a 20 amp breaker it most likely is pre wired. It will have to be hard wired (no plug) but it's pretty simple job. You'll need the gasket kit also if it's a used unit but they are only about $20.

Tags
a/c, air, install