Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-25-2024, 04:58 PM   #1

SUN #4147
RRS2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Sunline Solaris 2670 going to Auction

Over the winter in Chicago area in January during some crazy weather that went from snow to slush during day, back and forth for a couple of days and than a deep freeze, the building my Sunline 2670 got partially damage on front between the roof transition and the top of front window.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/m...albums910.html

I have owned this for 20+ years and have done more than $9k of upgrades since 2019. I had to really think about getting the trailer fixed vs totaling it and buying a new one. After much thought, I ended up taking the money and bought a new Jayco Jay Flight 274bh, which is an updated version of what my Sunline is.

With that said, most of this trailer is in good condition (besides current damage) for it's age. I could have had it fixed for ~$5k from a local repair place. My insurance would have paid up to close to $7.5k. I also had the option to buy it back for ~$1450 but opted not to.

This trailer would be good for a young family that may not have funds for a new trailer and has good carpentry skills, and the ambition for a project. There are many on this forum that have rebuilt water damage trailers that could probably give advice on how to do this. And of course, we have a Sunline expert in JohnB that has tons of experience and how to posts.

The trailer hasn't left my driveway yet, but it will be gone to the auction house on Tuesday. I'm not sure how long it takes to get in the auction inventory, but I will post a link when I find out. Here is a link to the auction house so you can see how it works.
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResu...ch%22:false%7D

If you have interest, I can provide lots more information. Here is a way to long post on the suspension upgrade I did in 2020:
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post152195

1997 Sunline Solaris 2670
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L 4x4
Old 02-25-2024, 05:52 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Russ,

Congrats on your new Jayco!

You are still a Sunliner at heart, And you always welcome here on the forum, even with your new Jayco. We now have many members who have sold their Sunline and bought some other brand, and are still with us, and we are glad to have them.

Thanks for mentioning your camper on the forum as a service to our members; we hope someone from the club with the right skills can fix it up and take their new Sunny back out in the campground.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
Old 02-25-2024, 06:46 PM   #3

SUN #4147
Thanks John. I wouldn't think of leaving here since I think this forum has one of the most knowledgeable trailer guru's, that's not a factory engineer/employee here. You're like our very own trailer and towing, maintenance/repair teacher/mentor, who would want to leave that.
Thank you for all you do on this forum!

Old 02-26-2024, 03:45 PM   #4

SUN #4147
Auction Information

Here's a link to a few outside pictures before damage occurred and floorplan:
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/m...albums912.html

I can add more pictures to album if there is anyone interested.

I just got more info on how the auctions work. It's not as simple as an individual going to website and placing a bid. It turns out you have to sign up to be a member in order to bid. Basic membership is for individuals looking to buy from Copart, but you are limited on what you can purchase on your own, and it depends on the title and state rules. If you are a licensed salvage or restorer business with the premier membership, you can buy anything.
The free guest membership basically just allows you to look at and follow auctions if you are trying to see what certain things are going for.
There is a way for an individual to bid on anything on website, but you must use a 3rd part broker that is licensed. It looks like they may cost a couple of hundred dollars as a middleman, but they can help you through the process.
You can go look at vehicles before an auction, but that doesn't work will for anyone other than local people. In this case you can hire inspectors to give you more detailed information about item you want.

This probably a lot of work to do to purchase a trailer that will need more work. But if you are still interested in buying this trailer, you really need to do your homework reading the website to understand what you're getting into.

I don't know how long it will be before my old Sunline makes it to the inventory, but the person I talked to said it may be days, up to a couple of weeks.
Here's the link to Copart for a Sunline that was in their inventory, just so you can see how it looks: https://www.copart.com/lot/41109634/...glassboro-west
FYI, I think you need to be a member to see if you are eligible to bid on a particular vehicle/trailer.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:59 AM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS2670 View Post
Thank you for all you do on this forum!
Thanks, Russ; you are very welcome.

All our members help make us who we are as the forum. You included your very good posts, too.

Thanks

John

Old 03-01-2024, 11:27 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Russ, I'm really sorry to hear about your roof collapse. It's a sad day to see another Sunline meet an unfortunate fate. I will be interested in seeing the link when you have it, so I can document it.

I bought a vehicle through Insurance Auto Auctions, the primary competitor to Copart, a little over 10 years ago, so I learned a lot about the process at that time. By the time you add in fees and stuff, trailers are not so cheap after all.

We also found out here from our very own Kitty calling and investigating, that sometimes trailers meet the unfortunate fate of an excavator smashing them in, because they just aren't worth much and people didn't bid much on them. A different story with couple-year-old trailers though. I sure hope that has changed with the way RVs have been priced in recent years. Luckily yours wasn't a rollover or with major damage, it could be repairable to the right person.

Funny, I actually found a '92 Sunline 2470 at the local IAA about 15 years ago, it was a theft recovery and the axles had been stolen. So not real mobile. I came across a Marketplace listing a couple years ago for a guy selling parts off a '92 Sunline and it was that same one with no axles/springs. Somehow someone bought it and used it as a shed, then this guy bought it and somehow moved it to his house where someone lived in it for a while. It got to the point that the floor was so rotted, there really weren't any good spots to step that weren't the frame rails. I went and salvaged a bunch of random parts off of it for my collection and he was planning to demo the rest. So there are good stories that come out insurance auctions where they have second, third, and fourth lives after.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 03-02-2024, 08:38 AM   #7

SUN #4147
Sunline active on auction block

My damage 1997 Sunline Solaris 2670 is up on Coparts website at this link:
https://www.copart.com/lot/44177034/...-chicago-north

The way they posted this isn't accurate. The good thing is there is no reserve, and if no one see's what the trailer really looks like from no pictures, and incorrect damage assessment, this trailer could go for a very reasonable price to someone who does bid.

I talked to someone in the Copart office a couple of times before pickup. I asked if I should recover it after I remove my stuff, knowing they would want to look at it for pictures. They told me they would pull it in a building to remove cover, access damage and take pictures, then recover and place outside on lot. I can tell you that the cover was never removed. I really tied it down so wind wouldn't rip cover off in transit. I am 100% sure they never removed the cover, it is exactly as I covered it. So they don't even mention the hole above the front window. They say the primary damage is normal wear and the secondary damage is Undercarriage which is totally wrong.
The tires and suspension were all new in 2019 & 2020. I measured tire wear this fall, all were close to original at 7+-8/32's".

So if anyone is interested, I have many more pictures. I have an upgrade list from 2019 to fall of 2023 for anyone that's interested. I tried attaching it as a PDF, but it exceeds the size limit. If you want this list send me a pm and I could email it.

The main upgrade was the total re-roof which included replacing a couple of rafters by the front transition, sheeting the roof with 3/8" plywood, covering with new EPDM membrane, reseal everything, and replace awning all at a cost of ~$6300 in June 2019. All of the suspension was reworked as per the thread link in my initial post. The furnace circuit board was replaced 2021, and a new DC distribution panel with newer technology battery charging just done Sep 2023. All of this adds up to just under $9k invested since 2019.

Ok that's it for now. If anyone sees this and wants to get more info and pictures. either respond here or PM me.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM   #8

SUN #4147
I'm guessing that probably hasn't generated any interest since no one has contacted me for details, but I thought I'd follow through in case someone has thought about it. the trailer is set for auction on Thursday March 28th at 11:00 am central time. Here is the link: https://www.copart.com/lot/44177034/...-chicago-north

I will just add that these old Sunlines have many small details in fit, finish, quality and little details that have been lost on most new trailers, the Jayco I bought included. I have second guessed myself about if I should have just fixed this trailer. That said, it would make someone a nice camper if they had the right skillset and patience to repair it.

Old 04-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #9

SUN #89
RRS2670 reported that the auction had ended, and no one had bid on the camper. This is sad as, other than the building damage, Russ has this camper in very good working condition. Someone with time and know-how could have had a great camper.

This post is now moving to the archive.