Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Guss

Thanks for the info this now helps. Here are some thoughts to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guss View Post

I plan to drive about 600 miles per year total . My wife and I go on a few one week vacations, in the summer months, not to far from home.
We basically take enough clothes and food for a week so were not loaded down to much. The roads are a little windy and steep in places. No mountains. Also, this will be the last trailer for us so we need a truck that will suit this trailer only.
600 miles a year is not a lot but may very well be in your case so OK your not a long distance tower. But maybe you really find you like it and say double the mileage, say 1,200. There is really not a lot of difference in that range. The point is it seems your not planning long trips, cross country or in areas of 2,500 or higher elevation. If I have that elevation wrong and you are going higher please let us know.

Quote:

I have been thinking about a 2008 or 2009 Ford F150 regular cab instead of a extended cab to save a few bucks . Does the design of the cabs have any bearing on better towing ? I was thinking of a 4x2, 8' box, 145" wheel base, rear axle ratio 3.93 or better,5.4L 3v triton V8 .
Ok your looking at a newer one. Cab configuration by itself does not affect stability but wheel base does. Longer is better. If you are looking at a 145” wheelbase, that is a very good number in relation to a T2499. If you drill into the spec, the standard cab PU actually can pull more weight of camper and hold up more weight of camper then a ext cab or crew cab. Why might one ask? The amount of weight in the base truck. The extra steel, glass etc of a crew cab eats up available payload. The GVWR of the truck does not normally change with cab sizes but the unloaded weight of the truck does. So std can allows more gear to be added if needed and still be under the truck ratings. However the crew cabs/ext cabs are nice for internal room. It’s a trade off.

The 5.4 and 3.93 or higher real end is good for towing.

Quote:

I was wondering about the 5.4L with the HD package. Would spending the extra money for this be worth it in my case. From reading all your replies I Know I have a lot to learn about TV's . Please give me your advice on the truck I've mentioned above . The big issue for me is safety on the road and at the same time not spending more money than I need to.Thanks again !
Now that we know some about your situation the F150 you talked about can pull it. However the one thing that will limit you is camper tongue weight. The F150 pending year use to have like a 950# to 980# I think rated receiver in WD mode. That partly is due to the fact of the rear axle rating of the ½ ton truck. Ford does not put more rating in there as with some small amount of weight in the bed and a 900# tongue weight you can be over the rear axle limit. So this is one area you need to watch.

See this post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f72/sunline-camper-actual-loaded-tongue-pin-weights-10765.html

At Sunline Meet and Greets I offer to weigh folks loaded camper tongue weights. They are show there. The T2499 is popular as you can see. Tongue weigth range from 850# to 1,200#. The 1,200# one will be a problem on the F150. If you are in the area just under 1,000# that is about all you can take and be in the limits of your receiver. Since you are looking at the std cab you might still have some capacity in the truck left to add some items in the truck bed.

The T2499 floor plans loads toward the tongue very easy. There is a lot of upfront storage space. My 2004 T2499 with full propane, battery and Reese DC hitch on it weighed 800# with not one stick of camping in it. It will go up from there pending how much weight you put in the front bed room cabinets, under the bed and in that big pass thru cargo hole. Each of us has out own camping “stuff” Some have more, some less. It fun to go camping with stuff… so we bring it. You can see there is one camper who has a 850# tongue weight. I asked him, what do you have in the front bedroom and cargo hole. He said not a lot… he puts the BBQ and other thing in the truck. And on the other hand, I was the one with the 1,200# tongue weight on the T2499…. So somewhere in the 1,000 # range is to be expected. Less is better if you can lean down that far.

See this post if you want to see how that floor plan loads. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...499-10143.html

Tires. If you can find the LT option like Hematite did, that will be a bonus. Tires pending brand can make or break a TV when towing a TT. If the HD package gives you the higher rated rear axle that too is a plus.

If your staying the in 1500 class PU truck, it all comes down to weights with the T2499. You have to watch where they land or you can be over on the rear axle rating or GVWR of the truck. The engine and rear axle need to be in line as well. It is doable and if you plan to never go with a larger trailer and only tow 600 miles a year, it can be done.

A good WD hitch with antisway controls and a good brake controller are also must haves. That will be your next research project. If you end up with the Ford integrated controller, that is a good one. If not there are several good aftermarket ones.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need more.

Happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote