Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Accessories, Parts, Etc. For Sale
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #1

SUN #8423
rakelady is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Door needed - Sunline 1983 travel trailer

So from the time I bought the trailer until I brought it home from the repair place, the door locked and someone tried to jimmie the door frame. Didn't notice it at first until I myself closed the door and it locked automatically. Now I can't get in (and key does not work). So now the aluminum door frame is damaged and don't know whether to replace the whole door or have a new lockset installed by locksmith. Anyone else have this experience? And suggestions about resources for doors

Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakelady View Post
And suggestions about resources for doors
Let's remember that like most of the other components in our Sunlines, doors are not Sunline unique. They're RV industry standard items. While exact replacements for a door from 1983 might no longer be available, you can still purchase square frame RV doors in the dimensions needed for your unit.

The same is true of RV locksets and mechanisms.

There are a bunch of online RV parts catalogs than can be used to identify components. RV Parts Catalog - PPL Motor Homes is just one of them. American RV Company Life Just Got Better Extensive RV Parts Accessories Catalog Motor Home Travel Trailer Fifth Wheel RV is another. There are several more to be found with a bit of searching.

I would not utilize a regular locksmith for RV components unless you know that he/she has specific experience with RV's.

If you take some decent quality pics of the door and lockset and bring them with you to an RV dealer, they may be able to help you. But, as I have mentioned in many other posts, telling them you have a Sunline may generate a "we can't help you" response simply because Sunline is no longer in business and it's a brand that dealership doesn't carry.

If you can find an independent repair person in your area who specializes in mobile home and RV repairs, they could help you, too. I offer this because older mobile homes used RV components to a large extent, and there is now a significant demand for upkeep on these units.

Lastly, a simple Google search on "rv entry door" (without the quote marks) yields several hundred thousand hits or more. Searching on "rv door lock" is equally helpful.

Some of sorting this out is going to depend on your DIY abilities. The more comfortable you are with RV repairs and maintenance, the less challenging a door replacement or repair will be.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

SUN #8423
rakelady is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Steve! What excellent advice to the newbie. We have a welding shop here so I think we can figure it out from there. Particularly appreciate the advice about using a conventional locksmith. Would never have thought of that.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
My door has been compromised at the bottom from what I assume came from someone opening the door in a heavy wind. From some research and looking how it's made, it seems it won't be that hard to rebuild.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
My door has been compromised at the bottom from what I assume came from someone opening the door in a heavy wind. From some research and looking how it's made, it seems it won't be that hard to rebuild.
Probably more that the wood is rotted out. They get very flimsy when that happens.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote