Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

SUN #10815
85sun107 is an unknown quantity at this point
How do i run off the battery

i am totally new to campers. i would like to make sure my 1985 sunline camper can give me lights off the battery when i can not plug in to electricity.
any help would be very much appreciated
scott

Old 09-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello and welcome 85sun107!

You should be able to hook up a battery on the front of the trailer and then the lights should work. There are some trailers that have a battery disconnect switch. If yours does, you will need to make sure it is turned on. Make sure you are not plugged into shore power. If neither of those work for you, one of the more knowledgeable members can give more to look for.

BTW - pics are loved here! Can't wait to see your new-to-you Sunny.

Happy camping!

Old 09-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Your lights,water pump and heater should work off of your batteries. The heater is a bit of a power hog but can get you by for a day or two. Once you are plugged in the converter will take over to power all the gadgets no problem.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #4

SUN #10815
thank you i was looking for a switch or something but have not found it , i have a battery in front of trailer but still learning how everything works . if i plug into my house lights and A/C works fine . but i was trying to see how i boondock as they call it
Old 09-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

SUN #2097
Basically the power cord is your switch. Once you are in the woods the battery will power the necessities but you will have no working household outlets.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #6

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
I am assuming your '85 does not have a battery cut-off switch on the frame just behind the battery. This means your battery is always available (when charged) to power your 12 volt equipment ( heat, fridge when on propane, lights, water pump, radio, hot water heater when on propane, propane leak detector). You will not have any of your 120 volt electric outlets available or your microwave, or air conditioning. Plugging your camper into shore power should automatically activate these 120 volt items as well as recharge your battery using the on-board converter. The converter is the box with the fuses and circuit breakers in it. Fuses for 12 volt side, breakers for 120 volt side. If there is a breaker for the hot water heater, always keep it off until you fill the hot water tank. To go from 12 volt (battery) power to full 12 volt plus 120 volt capacity, just plug your camper into am appropriate power source (usually a 30 amp circuit) using your camper power cord. If you plug in to a regular home outlet (15/20 amp) using an adapter, make sure use a 12 short 12 gauge extension cord. I also do not recommend running air conditioning in this situation. Another note, check inside your fridge for a small climate control switch. If you have one, make sure it is off when using battery power. It will draw down the battery in a very short time.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

SUN #2097
Being an "85" unless appliances have been swap out they are probably not electronic.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #8

SUN #10815
i figured out my problem and it was a easy fix . First it had a car battery in from P.O
so when i bought a deep cycle battery everything that like the lights inside and outside worked porch light , pull handle by the door light . tank lights and all interior lights . refrigerator , .. also had to run new power line from converter was not recharging battery and ran some grounds from converter also. another thing i had to do was put on a new trailer connector so it would charge while plugged into my truck . i want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions .