Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

SUN #382
Mooney
Replacing mechanical fans with electric ones

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with switching out the mechanical fans on their trucks with the electric kind (the flex-a-lite ones- specifically made for each vehicle). They're a little pricey, but I can do all the work easily enough. The only worries I would have would be if they short out a fuse (I have heard of this from 4-wheelers after going through deep water) or stop working (NEVER heard of this).

It supposedly frees up a bunch of extra power, and should contribute to better fuel mileage. There's gotta be a reason all the imports and some of the new rides use them- along with some of the racer-types.

Any thoughts- aside from a bigger motor or new ride?

I love my truck, and have no desire to replace her. I have a '98 K1500 Chevy with the little 305. She pulls along our new trailer well, but as a typical guy, more power is never a bad thing. Sure, it's a little old (158K miles), and a little light in the motor department, but she does really well still. No problems pulling uphill, as long as you're in the HP band when you get to the bottom, and aren't worried about racing the morons up. I drive for a paycheck, and am used to 80K pounds under me, so I am in NO hurry most of the time- I'm used to being slow!

Currently I am running a Magnaflow/ Flowmaster exhaust setup, and a K&N drop in filter, with a TD Performance throttle body spacer. My K&N cold air intake should be here next Tuesday (only took me 7 years to decide I should put out the $ for it). The exhaust and TB spacer REALLY liven up the ride, and I hope the intake will give me a few more ponies. I added 3/4 ton springs to the rear to level up the load- makes a world of difference powerwise- less rotation of the truck to the rear, power goes to the tires instead. She only squats 3/4 of an inch WIHTOUT the weight bars when I hook her up (BUT- I do use the weight bars when going anywhere farther than the end of the storage area- safer is better) (did this AFTER the photo was shot with the old springs and Sunline).

I may have to be the guinea pig though, if nobody has done this- what a bummer that would be (hah! It's always good to be different!)

edited to add springs...

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
I had an 85 Ford Bronco with a 351 motor that I swapped out the stock fan for twin electric fans and it made a world of differance in power. I had always heard rumors about the power gains, and couldnt believe how much it really gave me.

I'd recommend it to anyone who is thinking about adding more power. For the price, it was well worth the gains. One thing I would recommend to do is make sure the fans are hooked up to a thermostat and not just on a switch. A good buddy that swapped out his hooked it up to a switch rather than a thermostat so he could make the truck warm up faster, and one day forgot to through the switch while driving and burned up the motor.

Good Luck

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #3

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have electric fans in mine and they do free up power and help with the MPG. I got a kit with 2 separate 16" fans and 2 controllers. They are set up so one fan is the primary fan. It will come on first or with the AC compressor. It is also the one behind the transmission cooler so if it's warm enough for the AC there is some extra air flowing through the transmission cooler when in stop and go traffic. The second fan comes on at a higher temperature.

The weakest link in the setup is the controllers. When I first put mine in in 2006 I had a controller stick on and it was replaced under warranty. I've heard of others that have had the controller fail and it won't turn the fan on. Both my controllers can run two fans so if one fails I can wire both fans to one controller. I also have LED indicators in the truck to tell when the controllers turn the fans on. You'll get what you pay for with the controllers. The cheaper ones won't be as adjustable and from what I've heard from others, they won't be as reliable. I haven't heard anything good about the controller Flex-a-Lite uses.

We went to Maine last summer and all the towing was done in 90+ degree weather. I got stuck in stop and go traffic near Worcester Ma. when it was 95 degrees. That was the only tiime both fans came on. When I was moving on the highways the only reason the fan was on was because the AC was on.

I'm happy with mine. You need to realize that by getting rid of the mechanical fan you need to pay extra attention to the cooling when towing.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

SUN #382
Mooney
Traffic near Worcester? I wouldn't believe it! LOL!

Thanks for the good advice. I drive the big rigs so I am used to eyeballing my guages constantly- and a GREAT idea with the indicator lights....I like it!

If not flex-a-lite, any recommendations? My regular wrench builds drag cars and such, so for this I'd probably turn to him for advice and possibly install (my time is pretty limited).

Happy towing!

-Greg
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #5

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard very good thing about the Spal fan controllers.
http://www.spal-usa.com/
If (when) I need to replace the controllers I have now I'm probably going to get these. They are variable speed and can use the factory coolant probe.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote