Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
power converter question

i see from the recent power converter repair thread that it is normal for the converter to make noise. i was hoping there was a way to get rid of the noise in my current unit. is the only way to fix this to get a newer, more quiet unit?

or, is there a way to easily shut it off at night while i'm sleeping? it's right under where i'm sleeping and loud enough to be disturbing in these quiet mountain nights.

thanks!
__________________

__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,918
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
What model converter is it? I think yours is old enough that it should not make any noise because there is no fan. I replaced a clock with a digital one that does not "tick" for the same reason!
__________________

__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
i haven't had a chance to get to the converter but it is a factory one from 1983. i dont believe there is a fan in it but the noise really drives me nuts when i'm falling asleep
__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,918
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah that one is pretty old it probably hums pretty good.
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
hi mainah, here is a pic of my converter. i don't see a brand name on it but this should help. any tips on turning this off at night are appreciated. or maybe just using it sometimes to charge the battery... i know it's just me but i swear it's getting louder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg converter.jpg (82.5 KB, 11 views)
__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,918
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Most likely it is wired directly to the power cord so turning it off would require a little wiring or pulling the plug. That is the one that came with the camper it is pretty old tech and they did have a tendency to over charge the battery. In your case turning it off at night most likely would be a good ideal not only for you but for the battery also, If you can find some one that is good with wiring they can add a breaker to your panel box and put the converter on that breaker so it can just be turned off. The other fix would be to replace the converter with a modern one, it is an upgrade that is far more efficient both in battery maintenance and noise. The only concern by turning it off would be during very cold nights when your furnace runs a lot running the battery down. The furnace motor uses a lot of current but it is getting warmer all be it slowly!
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks mainah. somethings to think about
__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Most likely it is wired directly to the power cord so turning it off would require a little wiring or pulling the plug. That is the one that came with the camper it is pretty old tech and they did have a tendency to over charge the battery. In your case turning it off at night most likely would be a good ideal not only for you but for the battery also, If you can find some one that is good with wiring they can add a breaker to your panel box and put the converter on that breaker so it can just be turned off. The other fix would be to replace the converter with a modern one, it is an upgrade that is far more efficient both in battery maintenance and noise. The only concern by turning it off would be during very cold nights when your furnace runs a lot running the battery down. The furnace motor uses a lot of current but it is getting warmer all be it slowly!
to be sure i'm understanding, are you saying that if i wire the converter to a breaker and use that to turn it off at night then that would turn off all my power for the night? i'm thinking of the fridge here...it would act as if i were unplugging the camper. or would rewiring and adding the breaker only turn off the converter while leaving power to the rest of the camper? ideally i'd like a way to turn off only the converter while leaving the power on...
__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11
SUN #5698
usaseen is an unknown quantity at this point
Is any one knows what size and what type of the generator for Sunline QUE5.4?
__________________
usaseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,918
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by noralee View Post
to be sure i'm understanding, are you saying that if i wire the converter to a breaker and use that to turn it off at night then that would turn off all my power for the night? i'm thinking of the fridge here...it would act as if i were unplugging the camper. or would rewiring and adding the breaker only turn off the converter while leaving power to the rest of the camper? ideally i'd like a way to turn off only the converter while leaving the power on...
Yes that would be the ideal one breaker alone for the converter the rest would do what they have all along. The interior lights,pump and heater would run off the battery while the converter was off.
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
OhhWell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 213
SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by noralee View Post
to be sure i'm understanding, are you saying that if i wire the converter to a breaker and use that to turn it off at night then that would turn off all my power for the night? i'm thinking of the fridge here...it would act as if i were unplugging the camper. or would rewiring and adding the breaker only turn off the converter while leaving power to the rest of the camper? ideally i'd like a way to turn off only the converter while leaving the power on...
It would cut power to the 12v portions of your camper and the battery would take over. The furnace is on the 12v portion. your fridge is probably on 110v but may use some 12v for the control board. The built in lights are 12v as well as the water pump and any vent fans.
__________________
Current RV - 1999 Bounder 36s

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhWell View Post
It would cut power to the 12v portions of your camper and the battery would take over. The furnace is on the 12v portion. your fridge is probably on 110v but may use some 12v for the control board. The built in lights are 12v as well as the water pump and any vent fans.

so is there no way to rewire the converter to seperate it from the fridge? the converter is not supplying the power, is it? (ps. i know almost nothing about electricity/wiring.) the rest of the stuff won't be a problem, but i do need the fridge to stay on.
__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,918
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are running the fridge on electrical power while it is plugged in it will make no difference. The fridge usually has two settings some have three, 120 volts (power co.) and propane. There are ones that also use 12 volts the stuff that runs your pump and lights they use the battery there are not many of them around and are usually only found in motor homes not campers. The very modern ones need battery power to operate the controls yours would not fit that category. So if the control is turned to "elec" your fine just have someone add a breaker for the converter. What ever battery power you use in the night will be replaced the next day when you turn the converter back on. An option I use when I camp in cold weather is a small electric heater you have power so that is just a plug in to an outlet it is also a lot quieter than the furnace. Not going to be a lot of good if it’s 10* out but the furnace won’t run as much. The alternative would be to install a modern converter and just leave it on. The new ones have a small fan about the size of one in a desktop computer and are very quiet.
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
noralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 347
SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
If you are running the fridge on electrical power while it is plugged in it will make no difference. The fridge usually has two settings some have three, 120 volts (power co.) and propane. There are ones that also use 12 volts the stuff that runs your pump and lights they use the battery there are not many of them around and are usually only found in motor homes not campers. The very modern ones need battery power to operate the controls yours would not fit that category. So if the control is turned to "elec" your fine just have someone add a breaker for the converter. What ever battery power you use in the night will be replaced the next day when you turn the converter back on. An option I use when I camp in cold weather is a small electric heater you have power so that is just a plug in to an outlet it is also a lot quieter than the furnace. Not going to be a lot of good if itís 10* out but the furnace wonít run as much. The alternative would be to install a modern converter and just leave it on. The new ones have a small fan about the size of one in a desktop computer and are very quiet.
thank you mainah. yes, i do have a 3-way fridge, but i keep it plugged in. so no problems there. i will set up the converter on a separate breaker
__________________

__________________
1983 Sunline TT1350
noralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
power converter repair roymack Repairs and Maintenance 6 11-30-2013 06:18 PM
Power converter problem Woodsfam Repairs and Maintenance 20 07-14-2012 08:39 PM
power converter clicking varmintjcl Repairs and Maintenance 8 10-26-2010 08:00 AM
Power Converter Question... ScottK Repairs and Maintenance 14 06-29-2010 09:43 PM
Power Converter Claire & Bill Repairs and Maintenance 3 01-21-2009 10:29 PM



Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.