Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

SUN #9832
shegarty is an unknown quantity at this point
94 t-1700

Hi all, I have my eye on a recent listing here in Ontario (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b) for a 94 T-1700. I am looking to upgrade from our older 13' Gypsy but I don't know much about these Sunlines. From the ad it looks clean and well maintained but are there any specific things I should be on the lookout for? I will probably make the trip up to see it this weekend. Also, is there anywhere on the site here where I can find floorplans and specs? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

The easy answer, yes we do have brochures from 1994 that has all the floor plans and specs. From the floor plans and year, you can back into what model number it is.

Go to the "FILES" section and under brochures, scroll to 1994 and download a copy. TO get to the FILES section, when you are logged in, click the tab on the top of the forum called FILES. In there is a lot of good info.

Specific things to look for,

1. The first is water intrusion. There may not be any obvious signs of a leak on the inside, but that does not mean there are no leaks as water can be inside a wall or the ceiling and not drip into the living space for a real long time pending how slow the leak is. This is true of any brand camper.

See this post on a moisture meter where you can scan the walls, ceiling, floor inside for trapped moisture in the walls etc. You can also scan the black waterproof membrane on the bottom of the camper. Most times, a leak up high works it way down to the basement and stays trapped under the floor. Suggest you get this meter before you buy. The owner may have no idea there is a leak as they have never seen it.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

2. Tires. There are DOT date stamps on the tire sidewalls. The date may be on the inside. And if there is no DOT code, then the tires are way too old. See here for how to read the date code
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=11&

Trailer tires are recommended to be replaced every 5 years. The tread may look great or have lots of tread left, but on a trailer tire they usually ages out before they ever wear out. They are very different then on a car. Look for cracks in the treads or sidewalls. That can happen on trailer tires too and also combined with the 5 years be tell tails the tires need to be changed before much towing is done. Don't forget the spare tires too if it has one.

While having a camper with a small water infection or old tires may be found, that does not mean to not buy it. But it does give you some leverage to help in the pricing as you will have to deal with both. And you know going in, eye wide open. If there is a large water infection, that can take a lot of time to repair. If you can do the labor, (handy with wood working tools) the repair cost can be that bad, just a lot of time. It is not practical on an older camper to hire a dealership to do large water repairs due to the large amount of hours it will take, the labor cost will soon overcome the cost of the camper.

If you really like the camper and still have questions on it, take some good pictures of the roof seams, all around the edges. Do not try and walk on the roof, only look from the side from a ladder. Inside look for any suspect wallpaper wrinkles inside. If you can smell musty mildew in a cabinet or in out in the open inside, that is a sign of a water infection in the wall/ceiling etc. Post the pics and we can help better tell you what might be.

Hope this works out for you. If the camper is in good shape, they are good campers.

Good luck this weekend.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome!

The pictures in the ad aren't the clearest, but I would pay special attention to the floor in this one. This trailer should have an aluminum roof, which is good, but it does need its own type of sealing every so often- so plan to do that sooner than later.

The floor looks suspect to me because the toilet looks like a replacement, and something looks different than factory about the floor around it. Just make sure it wasn't rotted out and replaced.

The way these trailers are built, every part is critical in the support of the others. So it someone cuts out a bad section of floor and doesn't attach the new to the old, the trailer can lose a lot of rigidity. Also look at the floor under the dinette. The factory linoleum has a tendency to discolor to a darker color where water has damaged it from underneath. Watch for those kind of spots. Also, inspect the interior walls and ceiling for ripples, these can indicate previous water damage. Even though the seller says it doesn't leak, many people seem to think they need to see water to say it leaks. A trailer can actually leak for years inside the walls and you'll never know.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

SUN #9832
shegarty is an unknown quantity at this point
This is all great info. I've restored a fair number of trailers in the past and am not afraid of another project. That being said I have three young kids and don't have a lot of spare time. I will definitely be on the lookout for any water damage and will pay special attention to the bathroom and for the telltale signs of darkening flooring. Thanks for the pointers folks
Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks exactly like my 1990 with a smaller front window. The silly little bunk above the couch is only rated for a max of 100# Have good look in the right rear compartment that's where mine had water damage from a leaking seal around the stink pipe. It was not a lot of fun repairing the floor and frame work inside of the small compartment door. Where the trim meets the roof (with about 50 screws) I had this ideal of a good place for a leak because someone had applied roof tar, lots of it. Once the trim was removed I found out there was no seam at the edge of the roof because it was folded over the edge wall at 90* then stapled down with 20,000 staples! After all the tar was removed and every thing penetrating the roof resealed it was primed and repainted.