Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Grilla and camping

What kind do you use? What do you burn?

We have an old Char Broil table top gas grill that was Renee's grandfather's. It works great. I usually carry an old 20 lb propane tank to run it. When I had the pickup TV I could carry the extra tank in the bed if the truck. Now that I have the Expedition I'm not sure I want to carry it in the truck with us for long trips. I will not use the little 5 lb tanks of propane. They seem like a waste of time and money to me. I'm thinking about finding a place in the Sunline to secure the tank for travel. My other thought is to get a hose, unhook one of the 30 lb tanks on the TT and use it. What do you use? I'm looking for other ideas/suggestions.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Here is what we use and how we store the 5 lb LP refillable tank on our T2499 camper as we towed it with a Suburban and did not want the gas inside like you stated. Now that we have a PU, still use everything the same, just the LP tank goes in the truck bed.

I do have an adapter to tie into the main 30 # tank if I ever run out on the trip. For cost, getting a good refillable tank is the way to go. 5#, 10# or 20 # and to find a place the refills them by the pound or gallon of propane filled. This can be the hardest part. A lot of places refill the 20# home BBQ tanks but charge the same cost for a 5# tank. I luckily have a nursery about 5 minutes from the house that refills by the pound. It too did not like going the little green 1 lb disposable tanks.

The grill is a Weber Go Any Ware grill. This was the model before the Q’s came out but they still sell them. If and when this one ever wears out, now going on 5 years, we will most likely get one of the Q series grills (Baby Q) as I now have a PU truck bed to haul it in. The only down fall I have found to the Go Any Ware grill is the actual gas regulator. I am now on my 3rd replacement regulator.

Here are some pics of the setup.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #3

SUN #385
Hematite
JohnB: Great idea about the platform mounted on the crossbars! That really is perfect for Sunlines towed by SUV's!

How long do you find that the 5# bottle lasts? I see that you are feeding 2 cooking appliances with the 5# bottle.
Thanks,

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite
JohnB: Great idea about the platform mounted on the crossbars! That really is perfect for Sunlines towed by SUV's!

How long do you find that the 5# bottle lasts? I see that you are feeding 2 cooking appliances with the 5# bottle.
Thanks,
Rick

I can get 4 maybe 5 weekend campouts out of a 5# propane bottle. I actually have 2, so I allways have a full time filled spare at home. I do not allways use the grill as it does suck more LP then the stove.

I actually wanted a 10# bottle but the normal fat and squatty 10#'er would not fit on my tongue area with my step holder on there. The darn 5# bottle costs as much as a 10# and both cost more then the normal 20# gas cooker bottles.... Supply and demand at it greatest....

Then to make it worse, I did see a 10# smaller dia tall bottle AFTER I allready bought 2, 5#'ers that "might" of fit. So look around, Manchester tank makes long and smaller dia 10#'ers.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote