Sunline Coach Owner's Club

Sunline Coach Owner's Club (https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/)
-   Sunline Truck Campers (https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Just got my 1993 c951 camper today! (https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f70/just-got-my-1993-c951-camper-today-19829.html)

Tundraguy 08-17-2020 08:09 PM

Just got my 1993 c951 camper today!
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone I'm new to truck campers. I picked up this clean 1993 951 today. I haven't found any major problems yet. I'm interested in camping in it off the truck. I was wondering what everyone else does? And any tips or tricks to load/unload would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

JohnB 08-18-2020 10:09 PM

Welcome Tundraguy!

Wow, your camper looks to be in great shape! It must of been stored inside for a good part of it's life. :cool:

Thanks for sharing the pics. :grin: We like seeing any and all Sunline adventures.

We do have several new members this year with truck campers, however many of them are into rebuilding the camper as their first camper.

I'm one of the Sunline travel trailer guys and can't help you much on camping in the camper off the truck. But, many of us can help on fixing the camper as Sunline used many of the same methods to build the travel trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes as they did the truck campers.

Have fun in your new Sunny!

John

Kxracer704 08-21-2020 10:49 AM

Wow that camper is clean!! Excited to see how you outfit it onto your truck.

Tundraguy 08-21-2020 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not looking good at the moment lol.

I did a test fit without air bags and it bottomed the suspension out. I had planned on airbags and trd rear sway bar. But now I thinking of adding heavy duty springs. The guy I got it from was nice enough to deliver it 3 hours for me. He had a 05 3500ram 6.5' bed. He had air bags as well with no squat. It may be for sale soon if my truck can't do it

Kxracer704 08-21-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153498)
It's not looking good at the moment lol.

I did a test fit without air bags and it bottomed the suspension out. I had planned on airbags and trd rear sway bar. But now I thinking of adding heavy duty springs. The guy I got it from was nice enough to deliver it 3 hours for me. He had a 05 3500ram 6.5' bed. He had air bags as well with no squat. It may be for sale soon if my truck can't do it

That is not looking good. I would not recommend using your Tundra to haul your C951. I don't know the weight exactly of that year and model camper, but I'm going to guess it's about 2500 lbs without all of your other stuff you'll be putting in it to go camping (chairs, food, etc.) You can look up the payload of your Tundra and I'm sure it is less than the camper weight. I'm not one to always follow every rule in the book, but sometimes there is a limit.

If you go the route of upgrading your truck:
Add heavier springs that are rated for the weight of your fully loaded camper.
Add air bags.
Add rear sway bar.
Although all of these things are great upgrades to help with your situation, you still only have a short bed truck hauling a camper designed for a long bed. The weight distribution gets a little messy having all of that hanging out of the rear of your bed. Also, all of those upgrades to your truck are not easy to do or cheap.

My recommendation is to get a truck that can handle that camper or sell it. :/ I hate to say that after all of your hard work and excitement to get the camper, but rather safe than sorry.

Keep us updated!
-Jay

Tundraguy 08-21-2020 04:04 PM

The camper says 2280 fully loaded in the owners manual.

Kxracer704 08-21-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153500)
The camper says 2280 fully loaded in the owners manual.

If you check the payload of your truck, you can see how overweight the truck will technically be.

Tundraguy 08-22-2020 01:08 PM

With my best guesstimate the camper weighs 2156. My trucks combined front and rear axle rating are 8150. My truck weighed 5750 with a full tank of gas. So that means I have 2400lbs of capacity. As mentioned above my center of gravity with the 6.5' bed isn't as as forward towards the cab as it would be with an 8' bed.

I'm an auto mechanic and installing the suspension upgrades won't be to bad. I tow a lot with my truck so I had planned on airbags anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

Kxracer704 08-22-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153509)
With my best guesstimate the camper weighs 2156. My trucks combined front and rear axle rating are 8150. My truck weighed 5750 with a full tank of gas. So that means I have 2400lbs of capacity. As mentioned above my center of gravity with the 6.5' bed isn't as as forward towards the cab as it would be with an 8' bed.

I'm an auto mechanic and installing the suspension upgrades won't be to bad. I tow a lot with my truck so I had planned on airbags anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

By all means, if you can get the parts on your truck and make it safe, give er helllll. Id rather you get that nice camper on the road than sell it!

-Jay

Tundraguy 08-22-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kxracer704 (Post 153510)
By all means, if you can get the parts on your truck and make it safe, give er helllll. Id rather you get that nice camper on the road than sell it!

-Jay

I'm going give her heck. I really like the camper it's my first truck camper and it's super clean for the year. Hopefully I'll have an updated pic by the end of next week.

Kxracer704 08-22-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153512)
I'm going give her heck. I really like the camper it's my first truck camper and it's super clean for the year. Hopefully I'll have an updated pic by the end of next week.

Heck yeah. If you get the air bags and suspension upgrades on in a week, you are doin great. That camper is in nice shape and I hope you can put it to good use!

Short Rig 08-27-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153440)
Hi everyone I'm new to truck campers. I picked up this clean 1993 951 today. I haven't found any major problems yet. I'm interested in camping in it off the truck. I was wondering what everyone else does? And any tips or tricks to load/unload would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Its for an 8ft. bed. Let me know if it goes up for sale...

Tundraguy 08-27-2020 11:19 AM

My bed is 6'

notes4jim 08-27-2020 11:28 AM

It's the center of gravity that I would be concerned with. The camper looks to be 10 ft (at least 9) in floor length . . . I wouldn't use a truck with anything other than than an 8ft bed.

Tundraguy 08-27-2020 11:40 AM

The previous owner used a 6' 05 ram3500. His truck did great. The center of gravity on the camper is at the rear part of my axle. I e taken measurements and it's in the range for my trucks center of gravity.

VtLee 08-27-2020 12:58 PM

Weight
 
I have a 1993 C-951 that I bought new. Just checked the certificate of origin and it weighed 2169 empty. You have to add in battery, propane and water as well as all your food, clothing and toys. Have weighed it several times on the CAT scales and usually between 2800 and 3000 total load depending on how long we will be out. If heading to the beach at Cape Hatteras with cooler rack and poles, gear, ice, dog etc. I am adding close to 3500 to the truck.

awellis3 08-27-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraguy (Post 153498)
I did a test fit without air bags and it bottomed the suspension out. I had planned on airbags and trd rear sway bar. But now I thinking of adding heavy duty springs.... It may be for sale soon if my truck can't do it

I feel your pain. I tow with a 2010 short bed. I would not attempt this.
In the end, your main issue will be the leverage induced by the camper's length and weight aft of the rear wheels. I don't think rear suspension work will return enough weight to your front end. It's a load-and-fulcrum thing. Re-enforcing the fulcrum won't solve it. A Tundra with an 8 foot bed has a wheelbase almost 2 feet longer.
A trip to the CAT scales is in your future.

Be safe,
Teach

procoupe 08-27-2020 02:48 PM

2019 with a 950 1996 sunline
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 7691 I also installed the timbren rubber snubs

Pruitg 08-27-2020 04:07 PM

Sorry to say, but you willnot be able to exceed about 40mph with that camper in that truck. It will weave very badly.
The previous guy had dual wheels on the 3500, making it possible for him
But you do not. THERE IS A LOT OF WEIGHT HIGH AND BEHIND THE REAR AXLE.

Tundraguy 09-07-2020 05:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pruitg (Post 153587)
Sorry to say, but you willnot be able to exceed about 40mph with that camper in that truck. It will weave very badly.
The previous guy had dual wheels on the 3500, making it possible for him
But you do not. THERE IS A LOT OF WEIGHT HIGH AND BEHIND THE REAR AXLE.

This is not completely accurate. I was able to get up to 60mph today and it felt stable. But unfortunately I got to the scales and the camper just weighs to much. It's advertised as 2280 loaded with 30gals of water and propane. But I had it completely empty of water and no gear and the camper weighed in at 2460. That's to much for me to feel comfortable going long trips. With gear and extra people the camper and truck would be near 9500-10000lb range. So unfortunately I'm going to be selling it.

By the way. The airbags did an amazing job at leveling the truck.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.