Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2015, 03:39 AM   #1

SUN #7437
Mike13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maiden voyage

So we are leaving next Thursday for our maiden voyage to Mystic, CT with our '85 t2462. I thought everything was ready, but after I took it for a good test drive down the highway, 2 of the freshly packed wheel bearings had excessive play and 2 of the brakes didn't work. The other 2 magnets energized, but didn't have much pull. Also, with the hitch at the lowest setting, it was still riding nose high and I noticed a bit of sway. These old sunlines are pretty low to the ground, huh?

I ordered 4 new magnets (which should arrive this afternoon) and picked up all new bearings, races, and seals. The shoes and drums look good, so I'll just clean them up. Got a bigger drop hitch yesterday, so I'll have to get that set up correctly too. Scrambling this weekend to get it all buttoned up because I'm going to be working 13 hour days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday getting all my lawns cut so I can leave Thursday afternoon when I finish up mowing. (I own a small landscaping business and mow 107 lawns myself)

This "free" camper is starting to cost a lot of money! It's a good thing I love it, otherwise it would have gone on Craigslist a while ago. Haha!

Anyways, wish me luck! My wife and kids are real excited to get away for a few days, so I can't let them down.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you are already having an adventure with your "new-to you" Sunline. It will get much better when you and family actually use it for camping. Enjoy.

Yes, the older units are very low. Many do axle flips on them. There are some good threads here on the subject.

BTW you will be coming down just east of me Thursday.

Mystic Seaport has some very nice shops as well as the historic values!

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

SUN #7437
I thought about doing the axle flip, but I think it looks kinda cool with the top of the tires tucked into the wheel wells

I got the bearings and brakes all squared away today. And got the hitch set up. A level trailer is a happy trailer, right? Haha!

We are members at the seaport and aquarium, so we try to get down there a few times a year. We love the area! We tried a popup last year, but it wasn't very fun having to walk to the bathroom all the time. Especially with 4 kids. I think all I have left to do is re secure the rear lower awning mount. Hopefully, I can get away with some bigger lag bolts and maybe some wood glue, otherwise I'll wait until I get back to replace the rotted wood behind the siding.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #4

SUN #7437
We made it! 2 hour drive and it pulled like a dream.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

SUN #246
Janalee
Hey Mike..that Sunny sure looks nice! Happy to hear you are enjoying it! Where do you stay when you camp there? Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

SUN #7437
We are at the Seaport RV Resort and Campground. Love it here!