Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #1

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Heading to Columbus Zoo and Cosi - Places to Camp

John,

We were looking to go south into Ohio (slightly warmer) next Wed/Thurs for a few nights, and this looks like it might be a good destination. It'll just be me and the kids, Laurie is off visiting her family in Phoenix.

A couple additional questions. My fiver is about 13 feet tall and sometimes I have problems with tree branches at state parks. This one looks like it will be OK, are the turns fairly wide and are there any low limbs overhanging the streets that access the individual sites, from what you remember?

Also, if I'm arriving say Wednesday, with it being Easter break and the weather supposed to be nice, do you think I'll have any issue getting a prime full hookup site? I ask because it looks like reservations are not yet available during this time.

Google maps shows a little over an hour drive each to Wright-Patterson AFB, or Columbus Zoo, both potential day trips while we are there. I haven't been to WP in 15 years, but the kids were there two months ago with their Grandfather. So it's probably more likely we will do the Columbus Zoo. That being the case, is there another spot closer to town that you would recommend that would accomodate our camper?

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Doing a little research, the COSI (Center of Science and Industry) in Columbus looks really neat and is a very highly rated science museum for kids. We're definitely going to to that. So I guess my question now becomes, where would you recommend staying, a little closer to Columbus. I see there are a lot of "parks' in the area on the map, but not sure where camping is available or where we would fit.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jeff, I moved your post here to not burying this in Teach's post. I'm creating you a pic-o-gram right now. Stay tuned for incoming.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Jeff,

First off, yes you can fit in the full hook up's at Indian Lake. If you know when that may happen, let me know I'll dig through which sites have less tress. I have seen some Montana big 5er's in there and tag axle MH's. There are only a few to watch out for on the lower trees. Indian Lake does not open this area until April 15th for water and possibly camping. They have been open in the winter but the dump station is closed so getting an operational dump station may not be until the April 15th

Now to the Columbus Zoo and Cosi. Here is one State Park where I know you will fit, is open year round, 1 area has heated shower house and the dump/fresh water is open year round. It is about 20 to 25 minutes from the Zoo. It is a big Zoo. Jack Hanna is associated with this Zoo and as such it has lots of things to do. You could spend all day there doing the inside and outside things they have. They even have a water park in the summer. We go with the Grand kids often.

To down town COSI, this is about ~40 to 50 minutes pending traffic. It is a great place! You can burn all day there too. Lots to see and do. They do a first class job.

Here is the park

Delaware State Park
Ohio State Parks - Delaware State Park

Here is the campground on sites that are reservable. For your size rig I would be looking at the middle 2 areas as first pick'in

These 2. I just did this for starting on Wed April 3 for 3 nights. I see folks are already reserving. The park went for reservations starting April 1. Prior it was site general and first come first serve. Sites 80,89,90 and 100 are handy cap sites so that is why they show up reserved, Need to go to another selection if you want them.

Here is the park map. Look at the center 2 areas, Area 2 and 3. Area 3 has a lot of walk in sites which I'll mention as possibilities
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2...arecampmap.pdf

Odds are high this early the park will not be that full. Area 3 has several sites that are walk in. If you do not feel comfortable during this long with no reservations, then possibly pick one of the reservation sites to be sure and when you get here you can change the site to a walk in if it is open.

Since you are coming down now, spring time, I will pick sites that are big enough and odds are high "dry" enough... Since it is spring, full shade is not a concern.

Pets, some areas allows pets and some do not. I do not know if you have a pet so check that before you reserve. Area 3 allows pets in some sites.

The CG check in office will feel like it will take forever to get there.... It is about 8 to 10 minutes from when you pull off SR 23 until you get to the check in office. Don't worry, it does "appear". The CG entrance off the main road once inside the park is on the left. Good signs, just look for it.

Fresh water is at the dump station right after the CG check in office. It is a frost free hydrant and is good water. Big sign says "Potable Water". Let is run a bit to purge in case it has not been used in a bit. Since the park will be fully open they spike the chlorine most likely to treat the entire CG piping that just opened.

I'll do a pic-o-gram in the next reply.

Another option is Alum Creek. There are some sites you will fit but I do not have that many pics, etc of which you will fit. It is about ~ 10 minutes closer to Columbus. The time to the Zoo is about the same as Delaware as Alum Creek is a ways off of SR 23.
Ohio State Parks - Alum Creek State Park

If Alum Creek has higher interest, I know of a few that you "might" fit. Let me know, I'll dig them up.

Next reply soon

Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

SUN #89
These are all Delaware SP sites. Picked for 1st, will you fit.... 2nd for higher odds of being drier, 3rd for tree branches should not be a problem. I do not know if you have pets, so confirm they are pet allowed before booking.

Site 59 – Reservable, nice big site, long pad, no trees, high ground = less wet.

2 happy campers

The slide side

Site 92 - Walk in Nice and big, long pad, tree is high up, good ground

Site 84 – Walk In, nice big site, long pad, no trees good ground

Site 134 - Reservable, nice big site, long pad, trees manageable, high ground = less wet. This use to be a host site and you might have to all the reservation service to get it as it does not show up on line.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

SUN #89
Site 69- Walk in, high ground, trees not a problem, good length

Cindy chopping up ingredients for supper

Site 76, Walk in - Real long pad, good ground, no trees.

If you want more, let me know. Have more....

Good luck

Pending the weather we may be their on this Friday night for the weekend.

John

Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Hi John,

Wow, super-thanks for all that great info!! You just don't get that on SOB camper forums, even the good ones. Sunlineclub rocks!

I'm thinking Delaware SP would be perfect, and I REALLY appreciate all the site recommendations. If I am understanding you correct, are you ranking site 59 as your first pick based on if you were me, with my equipment?

Like you say, the site selection won't be as important as if it was mid-summer. I'd like to let the kids ride their bikes, and maybe go for hikes, etc, but other than that I assume we will be doing mostly day activities like COSI and the zoo, which seem to be a manageable drive away.

I'd like to go Wed-Sat, with Thurs/Fri being our activity days, but it will depend on weather. The forecast is showing an overnight low in the 20's for Wednesday night, and since I'm planning on a full de-winterize, I don't want to run the risk of any freezing pipes...as unlikely as that may be with upper 20's weather.

Last year, our first trip out was Maumee bay SP near Toledo, on the second weekend in March. Low 80's temps, and I never had to re-winterize the camper even being stored in MI after that. Truly a remarkable spring. This year is different, to be sure.

Thanks again so much for all the helpful info. We surely would not have picked this place (or had the courage to try it for the first time) without your confirmation that our equipment could fit and navigate the campground with no problems!

On edit: No, we don't have any pets... though my wife sometimes calls the kids "animals".
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsolutions View Post

I'm thinking Delaware SP would be perfect, and I REALLY appreciate all the site recommendations. If I am understanding you correct, are you ranking site 59 as your first pick based on if you were me, with my equipment?
Jeff,

Yes 59 will be a good fit for your rig and a good spring site. Yes it is full sun but this time of year that is a good thing. We do not do this site in the summer, too hot. Have other shade sites.

See here. Being this close to Columbus we get good satellite views.

Just drive around the circle, straighten up and back in.

The kids can ride bikes in the CG without too many issues. See the area you will be in.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

There are also hiking trails around the CG and down to the lake. There are other parts of the park too. A marina and a swimming beach to at least go and see. The camp check in office "might" be open. At least on Friday night. If you have a reservation check the side of the CG check in booth for a sign or they may have put your tag on the power post already.

Have a good trip. If we make it up there on Friday, don't know yet, I'll stop over and say hi either Friday night or Saturday AM.

John

Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #9

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Hi John,

Thanks again for all the help. We are headed out in a few hours for Delaware SP and will be there until mid-day Saturday. We are on site 59. Please stop by and say hi if you and Cindy make it out this weekend!

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

SUN #89
Hi Jeff,

Unless work goofs us up, we will be at camp Friday night. Some where between 7:00 to 8:00 pm. Truck and camper are hitched with the fridge cooling down.

We will look for a spot in the area near where you are at. Possible 52 or 53 on the road into the loop if they are dry. Look for the only Sunline in the park.... If it gets late Friday, I'll stop over Saturday am to say hello.

Have a good time at the Zoo and Cosi.

John

Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

SUN #809
ihsolutions
John,

We are here on site 59 all set up and ready for a day at the zoo tomorrow.

There is precisely one camper in each of the loops off the section that is open (so, 4 total). Things are wet, but then, I am learning that is Ohio.

This place, in terms of its setup, reminds me a lot of maumee bay sp, which is where we usually go this time of year.

Looking forward to meeting you in person and thanking you for all the good advice and info over the years.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsolutions View Post

There is precisely one camper in each of the loops off the section that is open (so, 4 total). Things are wet, but then, I am learning that is Ohio.

This place, in terms of its setup, reminds me a lot of maumee bay sp, which is where we usually go this time of year.
Wet....LOL I commented to Cindy yesterday looking out at the lawn, gee if we go camping this weekend at least it is dyer.... And it will be, but compared the what has been close to marsh conditions.... it is dryer..

There is one other trait of the area, lack of a lot of full sun. Moving here from upstate NY, one can tell, there is not many days of clear blue sky. But then again we are out camping while NY is still thawing out....

See ya hopefully not too long from now.

John

Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #13

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
There is one other trait of the area, lack of a lot of full sun. Moving here from upstate NY, one can tell, there is not many days of clear blue sky. But then again we are out camping while NY is still thawing out....

John
So right you are Mr. Barca! Our yard in the non-plowed area still have a good foot of snow to melt! I can tell you the sump pumps are working overtime since Wednesday!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #14

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Our yard in the non-plowed area still have a good foot of snow to melt!
WHAT!! We haven't had any on the grass here for a while, and just a few snow piles remain that were plowed in driveways/parking lots. But they're getting rare, and it's supposed to be 60 on Sunday!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #15

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
WHAT!! We haven't had any on the grass here for a while, and just a few snow piles remain that were plowed in driveways/parking lots. But they're getting rare, and it's supposed to be 60 on Sunday!

we still have snow on the garage roof.....and it snowed so hard yesterday I could not see across the street.....
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #16

SUN #809
ihsolutions
We just got back a few hours ago from a great three-night trip to Delaware State Park. The park itself wasn't remarkable, but then we didn't do much there, we spent most of our time at the zoo, and the science museum in Columbus.

Special thanks to JohnB for a great site recommendation, and it was great to meet you in person. Naturally, being trailer geeks neither one of us could resist looking under the skirt of each other's trailers!

Although the trip felt too short, it was good to scratch that camping itch and prep us for the full season to come. No mechanical surprises on this spring shakedown trip was an added bonus.

For the first time in recorded history, I managed to get a tailwind on the trip, BOTH WAYS! This helped me achieve a specatacular-for-me 11+ mpg while exceeding my normal towing speed of 65... most of the trip I was in the 68mph range. Speed does creep up on me more with the new truck, and the added power and stability that it offers.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #17

SUN #89
Jeff,

Glad you and the kids made it home OK. It was good to meet you and your kids. Have to do it again some time. I must say your truck and camper combo sure looked nice driving away off into the sunset.

Have fun the rest of the season.

John