Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

SUN #987
awellis3
Going to Columbus, OH

Sometime in the next month, I’ll be driving to RV Wholesalers in Lakeview, Ohio, from my home in Richmond, Virginia, to pick up my new TT. This will be the first time I’ve driven west of Charleston, W.Va., and I’m looking forward to seeing parts of the country I’ve never seen before. Looking at my hand-held, full-color, flat-screened, analog GPS ( aka.-road map), I see the most direct route is I-64 to Charleston then up US 35N to Chillicothe, then US 23N to Columbus.
I have a friend who is a retired Teamster. He said that is the route truckers used before interstates were completed. (Which explains why there are so many travel services to be had in the small town of Nitro, W.Va., on that route.)
Has anyone taken this route between Columbus and Charleston?

Thanks,
Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Teach,

Yes, I have traveled that road often from my house down to our plant in VA.

I64 through Charleston is a buss.... of fast moving traffic. The speed limit is 70 once you break free of the city limits. When towing the camper stay in the far right lane.

Once you get off I 64, they put in a new stretch of SR 35N. Beautiful new road. My GPS still keeps tell me to get back on the road.... Must of not made it on the maps yet.

If you miss the SR 35N exit the next exit west for SR 34 has gas stations right at the exit, Plus a bunch of eating places. Fill up then head to SR 35 on SR 34. That I64 and SR 34 is a pit stop of mine.

Once your on SR 35N is it a good drive all the way to SR 23 and then up to the south end of Columbus. Southern Ohio is very nice. This link should fire the route you are refering to. You can zoom in on the map, it is interactive. I see Nitro there in Charleston. I have seen the signs for it.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

When you get to Columbus area, you are wanting to take I 270 bypass around the south west side of town and get off at the exit for SR 33 west. SR 33 will take you all the way to Lake View. Again nice state road.

If you are camping overnight the 1st night before coming home, there is an Ohio State Park about 5 to 10 minutes form RV Wholesalers called Indian Lake State Park. We go there often.

Ohio State Parks - Indian Lake State Park

They also have full hook up if you want that. I have several sites I can recommend in most any area of that park if wanted. I see many folks who just bought a new camper from RV Wholesallers camping there the night before the heading out. Maybe to try out the camper while the dealer is just down the road or to rest up before heading out early.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

PS If camping on the way home, there are some nice State parks in southern Ohio near Hocking hills. A lot of natural beauty in the Hocking Hills Old Mans cave area. Have pics of them too. We camp there.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Teach,

Yes, I have traveled that road often from my house down to our plant in VA.

I64 through Charleston is a buss.... of fast moving traffic. The speed limit is 70 once you break free of the city limits. When towing the camper stay in the far right lane.
You'd play hell moving me out of the right lane while towing

Quote:
Once you get off I 64, they put in a new stretch of SR 35N. Beautiful new road. My GPS still keeps tell me to get back on the road.... Must of not made it on the maps yet.
I have a new map from triple-A that shows the exit as Exit 40 off I-64. The old 35 is now SR817.

Quote:
If you miss the SR 35N exit the next exit west for SR 34 has gas stations right at the exit, Plus a bunch of eating places. Fill up then head to SR 35 on SR 34. That I64 and SR 34 is a pit stop of mine.
Roger-dodger

Quote:
Once your on SR 35N is it a good drive all the way to SR 23 and then up to the south end of Columbus. Southern Ohio is very nice. This link should fire the route you are refering to. You can zoom in on the map, it is interactive. I see Nitro there in Charleston. I have seen the signs for it.
Nitro must've been an old truckers half-way point between Columbus and points east into Va. There's a Cracker Barrel, Flying J and a WalMart. A whole lotta stuff for a podunk, river ctossing town.
Quote:
When you get to Columbus area, you are wanting to take I 270 bypass around the south west side of town and get off at the exit for SR 33 west. SR 33 will take you all the way to Lake View. Again nice state road.
Actually, it's a federal hughway, US 33W. It starts, guess where, Richmond, Va., where it leaves town as Staples Mill Rd.

Quote:
If you are camping overnight the 1st night before coming home, there is an Ohio State Park about 5 to 10 minutes form RV Wholesalers called Indian Lake State Park. We go there often.
That's in my plans. I'm glad to know full hookups are available. I'll probably just opt for E/W in order to test everything. I'll check the dump stuff at the station. I'm interested to see how the black tank flush works out.
We're going to try for Beckley, WV, as our stop on the way home. The plan is to park in a WalMart or Cracker Barrel and save a dollar or two.

Thanks for the info. This is the most direct route, as you know, so I was hoping it was a wise choice. I'll let y'all know how the trip goes. I plan to take pics and document the whole thing for others thinking of buying from RVW. How far away are you, by the way? Close enough to drop by the park for a snort of good Kentucky corn squeezin's?

Happy Easter,
Teach
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Teach,

At Indian Lake SP, they have:
  • Non electric
  • Electric only
  • Full hookup
They do not have, "electric and water". So if you want water at the site verses on board fresh tank, then it is full hookup which is electric, water and sewer. They do have fresh water fill up near the older dump station and they have 2 dump stations. However a hose fitting to do tank flushing may only exist at the older dump station. You can flush at the full hookup sites.

When you go into the state park reservation system it defaults to Indian Lake electric, you need to go into the selection box to get Full Hookup or Premium Electric which means lake view with electric only.

Reservations start April 15th. Making an assumption you might want the full hookup here is the full hookup area. I just happened to pick 5/15 with a 2 night stay so that is what the red and green is. Red is taken, green is open.

Every site in that loop is good. Here are some pics.

The Park

A view looking down the full hook up loop

Site D49 Very nice big site on the point

Same site D49 with the T2499

Site D44

Site D55

Site D55 Channel View

Site D55 towards camper

If you want other just electric sites, let me know. Have many of them too.

This winter they cut out about 500 ash trees from this campground and I'm sure the look of the campground has changed. We have reservations there on Memorial day, will see what it now looks like.

I'll PM you on dates. Maybe a mini meet and greet might be in the works... It only take 2 to have a M & G

John

PS, the full hook up area is popular, especially on a weekend. Make reservations early. The rest of the park, not a problem other than holidays

Just noticed, my Avatar is the T310SR on site D49

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Teach,

At Indian Lake SP, they have:
  • Non electric
  • Electric only
  • Full hookup
They do not have, "electric and water". So if you want water at the site verses on board fresh tank, then it is full hookup which is electric, water and sewer. They do have fresh water fill up near the older dump station and they have 2 dump stations. However a hose fitting to do tank flushing may only exist at the older dump station. You can flush at the full hookup sites.

When you go into the state park reservation system it defaults to Indian Lake electric, you need to go into the selection box to get Full Hookup or Premium Electric which means lake view with electric only.

Reservations start April 15th. Making an assumption you might want the full hookup here is the full hookup area. I just happened to pick 5/15 with a 2 night stay so that is what the red and green is. Red is taken, green is open.
All that is good to know. I'm copying it into my itinerary folder.
Since this is a shake-down cruise, Im going for the hookups. A view would be a bonus but not as much as if Penny were with me.

Thanks,
Teach
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #6

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Teach,
If by chance you're picking up your new camper on Thursday, April 18, you're in luck. Ohio state parks are offering a free night of camping.
Reservations must be made by phone - online reservations will be charged regular fees plus an $8 booking fee. The toll-free number to call is given in the link above.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #7

SUN #96
rebellious78
Stop in Parkersbug, Wv and get some pizza from "The Pizza Place" across from Parkersburg South High School" you will be glad that you did. It is the best I ever had. Then cross over to Belpre Oh. and watch the barges go up the river.. You can also tour Blennerhassett Island State Park an Wv state park.. The visitor center is in Parkersburg and you will get to ride a paddle wheel boat to the Island.. There is a rebuilt mansion ther belonging to Harman Blennerhassett who conspired with Aaron Bur to form a seperate country in the Ohio territory..

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
Hi Teach,
If by chance you're picking up your new camper on Thursday, April 18, you're in luck.
I'd be doubly in luck if it's in by the 18th. Thanks for the heads up.

Teach
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #9

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious78 View Post
Stop in Parkersbug, Wv ....
Thanks for the suggestions, but this is a "guys' trip" to pick up and shake down the trailer. My buddy and I won't have linens, cookware, food or much time. We're taking a toolbox, beer and Knob Creek.

Teach