Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Trips & Vacations
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
Alaska 2018

Just back from a summer trip to AK… We had a great trip and I wanted to share a few pics to inspire folks. The new suspension and tires on the camper all worked as hoped for. I need to post up the install pics (work pushed up against our leaving date more than I would have liked) and also some comments on what I've learned. I'm going to pull the bronze bushings out and see what they look like after 12K miles of abuse.

Pre trip preparations always take longer than expected. Mowing the lawn for the last time before we left…

Mowing after being gone for 2 months...

Before leaving I always lay out an array of mouse and vermin traps…

For the garden we put in a couple long rows of popcorn and a row of tomatoes and peppers to be ready when we get back in 2 months… You have to look close to see the peppers and tomatoes. All did pretty well considering…

On getting back... We have enough to make it worth while for sure...

One of the most amazing parts of the trip is the drive - the crops, the prairies, the forests, the mountains, and the wildlife… Last time we did the trip Jen and Gus flew and I drove, but we all drove together this time.

First camp in SK, a nice shot of the rig…

In ND and SK we saw a lot of these tires headed North, I’m guessing to the oil sands. We saw probably 25 rigs like this on the way up and back.

The neatest part of the drive is the ALCAN, especially as you start to get close to AK…

We stopped to watch this fire near Pink Mountain, BC. It had just popped up near the road. On the way back we checked the area and it looked like it was contained fairly quickly after it started.

The scenery from the windshield is just amazing. The trip is worth it for just the drive. We had a lot of clouds and rain, but these windshield shots give you an idea.

Muncho Lake in BC. Hard not to wet a line here during a lunch stop…

Scenic fill-up near Kluane Lake, YT.

Outside Whitehorse, YT.

We saw a lot of Black Bears along the way...

Moose and calf swimming...

One of the major goals of the trip for Gus was to catch a King Salmon. We were rushing to get there to intercept the run, but as it turns out the temps were cooler and the run was late.

On this river system the water is often pretty turbid and roe is the go-to bait. I had ordered up some premium frozen cured roe, but we were lucky to be gifted a couple fresh skeins that we cured and used. Gus reading the directions on the cure as I cut the skeins…

Our raft loaded and ready to float…

The upper part of the river is pretty good Grayling fishing…

Gus had a great time with his Tenkara setup…

Gus with dinner he caught…

First of the trip, but not the last…

Jen on the oars…

View of the river…

Gravel bar camp. Sleeping tent (yellow) and cook/hanging out tent. It is really nice to have a big floorless tent when it rains every day…

Gus fishing a deep hole in the river for Kings…

Amazing what lives in the water, I was glad when it was in the net…

Gus with his prize….

Ultra premium river side fish fry…

I was able to get in on the action too…

Spin-N-Glo with roe fished in the deepest holes was the ticket…

This Moose left her calf on the far side of the river to feed…

After the river float, we picked up an old friend that flew in and we drove and camped the Denali highway. The Denali Highway is just amazing as far as scenery, this was our view from camp…

We hiked back to a lake to fish for Grayling.

Bag at the end of the day. I was not high hook that day

Yum…

Family portrait…

We headed to the Kenai Peninsula to fish some smaller streams waiting for the Sockeye run on the Kenai to start.

View from camp…

Gus fishing for Pink Salmon…

His first limit of Pinks…

Mother and child…

Why do I look so crabby with a fish on???

Dime bright Pink Salmon…

Pinks on the grill…

Pretty Chum…

HUMPY!!!!

Kid reading when he should be fishing…

Gus and I doubled up…

Gus with a dime bright little Coho…

Coho fish tacos…

Carnival fishing on a popular river…

We saw a lot of cow Moose with twin calves, which is supposed to indicate the population is increasing…

Finally, as far as fishing, we planned a week on the Kenai River fishing for Sockeye Salmon. The fishing was a grind, but we got our fish. Every day we were hoping for “the big push” of fish, but we didn’t see it. There were reductions downstream because of the run numbers when we were there and reductions on the river where we were after we left, so we were lucky.

Gus and I fishing the confluence…

Nice pile of fish…

Gus fishing…

We saw plenty of bears over the course of the week…

Gus with a limit…

Family shot…

Someone found it hil-arious that the fish cleaning station was in the midst of a Korean fishing reality show.

Korean reality show fishermen doing something exciting…

Yum, what we were looking for…

Salmon caviar in prep…

Finished caviar…

Sockeye chowder…

Good eats…

Sunset in Dawson Creek, BC on the way home.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #2

SUN #9070
Stubborn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Beautiful pictures! How did the tenkara setup work for you? What year model the Sunline? Appreciate your story share!

Old 09-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Whatta’ great trip! Looking forward you posting more info about it - what was your destination (or how far did you go)? What routes did you take?

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
Beautiful pictures! How did the tenkara setup work for you? What year model the Sunline? Appreciate your story share!
Thanks! Tenkara worked really well for Grayling, fish after fish under the right conditions (spinning rod with spinners works really well too .

Sunline is a 2006 T-1950.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Whatta’ great trip! Looking forward you posting more info about it - what was your destination (or how far did you go)? What routes did you take?
Route was CT to Portal ND to Edmonton to the ALCAN to Tok both ways same route. In AK we stayed pretty much south central this time. We drove through a lot of great country to get to AK, but AK has a lot that the in-between does not.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 09-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice trip! I haven't been fishing since I was a kid. Nice pics too!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks like an incredible trip with lots of memories made!!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Tod,

Wow.... Thanks for taking the time to put this post together and sharing this. Super pics and beautiful area! Your son will have memories of these days for a real long time.

Those pictures of the landscape are breathtaking!

Seeing your fish frying on the Whisper Light stove brings back a lot of fond memories. We did several canoe camping trips through Quetico Provincial Park near Atikokan Ontario. (the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters area of northern Minnesota) After the first portage you never saw anything with a motor on it and rarely any other paddlers either. The fresh fish, oh my, you cannot beat fresh fish from the lake into the frying pan or foil packets from those pristine clean waters.

Thanks again

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #9

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
That looks like an incredible trip with lots of memories made!!
Not enough sun line pics, though. We did see 3 sunlines in ak this time, but didn’t get photos. Last time we only saw one.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #10

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Tod,

Wow.... Thanks for taking the time to put this post together and sharing this. Super pics and beautiful area! Your son will have memories of these days for a real long time.

Those pictures of the landscape are breathtaking!

Seeing your fish frying on the Whisper Light stove brings back a lot of fond memories. We did several canoe camping trips through Quetico Provincial Park near Atikokan Ontario. (the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters area of northern Minnesota) After the first portage you never saw anything with a motor on it and rarely any other paddlers either. The fresh fish, oh my, you cannot beat fresh fish from the lake into the frying pan or foil packets from those pristine clean waters.

Thanks again

John
Thanks, I love the whisperlite and fried fish, our main one is jens original from the 90s and we have a second backup. There are more high tech and lighter options these days, but I love using them.

I have inner seals and bronze bushings waiting for me to jack the camper up and see how things look after 12,000 miles.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Osier View Post
Thanks, I love the whisperlite and fried fish, our main one is jens original from the 90s and we have a second backup. There are more high tech and lighter options these days, but I love using them.

I have inner seals and bronze bushings waiting for me to jack the camper up and see how things look after 12,000 miles.
Now that I think back, mine whipserlite in the basement is from the early 90's too... Boy, where does time go....they are simple and they "work". Just inspect the O rings for cracks and carry fresh spares and you have a good working one burner light weight stove.

Oh yeh, I saw the reference to the spring bushing check. Inquiring minds need to know! I'll be on the lookout for your post.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote