Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Travel Forums > Directions & Routes
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #1

SUN #1458
matti is an unknown quantity at this point
Free overnight places to stop on Highway 13 in VA

Planning on a 3 week stay on the barrier islands in NC & would like to know if there are any places like Walmart,Home Depot on Rt 13 near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in case I want to stop overnight

HD Tow Package\Integrated Brake Ctrl
3.73 LS Rear
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #2

SUN #987
awellis3
Best I can do

Hey, Matt, I live in Richmond, Va. not too many Virginians or Tarheels on this forum. I'm new to the world of TTs and have limited experience with what you are asking, but I will share what I do know.

Coming down the Eastern Shore on 13 will dump you out in Norfolk (as you undoubtedly know) into urban sprawl that rivals most anything you've experienced up North. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Va. Beach-Chesapeake is all one big city nowadays. My experience is that urban stores aren't as open to travellers overnighting as are their more rural stores.

WalMart
Walmart.com - Store Finder Results

Home Depot
Store Finder

I would make a few phone calls to some likely stores on your route to confirm if they do allow overnighting. I'll be surprised if they do.

IMHO, your best bet is to get through this area before you have to stop, or stop in Northampton Cty., Va., on the bridge's northern end. I taught school in that county and it is still rural farm country. You'd have better luck finding a business along 13 who'd let you overnight. There is a WalMart in Onley, Va. That's in Accomack Cty., close to the Md. state line.

I hope someone with more knowledge of the area hops on board.

Good luck,
Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #3

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Hi Matt,
All the way down from NB, Canada, we use either WalMart or Flying J - no problems whatsoever. So check these out. But...if you see a FJ, make sure you stop early (about 3-ish) because a lot of RVers also use it.

Also, fyi, we love our book 'The Next Exit'. It lists what each exit has along the major hwys, and...all the places that are RV friendly are listed in red. No guessing if you have to jigajig to get into and out of a gas stn - there are usually WalMarts, Flying Js, other gas stns, and now a lot of Cracker Barrels as well. Some of the FJ also have pumpouts at one of the gas pumps, so that is also handy. It'll cost you $10 to pump out, but sometimes it is definitely worth the $.

Check it out, definitely worth the $$. (I got ours through Amazon)
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

SUN #658
Nessmuk
Digging up an old thread but I had luck at all the Walmarts, with one exception, that I asked throughout VA, TN, NC, and SC. I also stayed at KMarts, and even a Target or two. I was only turned down one time in months. It happened to be late, cold, rainy, foggy, I was sick, and I had to go "down the mountain" to get to the next Wally World. What a mountain road! Truck turnouts, 15MPH speed limits, signs for no penalty for using turnouts. LOL
Now I call a while before I get there if I can.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #5

SUN #2032
MarkandKim is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to fish on the North side of the By Bridge Tunnel every other weekend for about 3 years, We always camped at the parking lot right before the tunnel (its at the toll booths) They never ran us off, actually the bridge police ld hang out with us and talk about fishing, Also, they have real nice restrooms, I recommend parking at the backside so you dont have to listen to the big trucks idleing all night long.

99 T2753
04 F-150 4.6 king cab
3 loud Chihuahuas
07 VTX 1800R spec 2
MarkandKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #6

SUN #1458
matti is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the info!!! will look into it when we travel to NC in July

HD Tow Package\Integrated Brake Ctrl
3.73 LS Rear
matti is offline   Reply With Quote