Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Other Brands
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Update on Nitrogen filled tires.

After 4 1/2 years and about 6000 miles I did notice that I had to add air much less frequently than with air filled tires. I have heard many times that once a tire is 5 years old no matter what they look like, replace them. My Sunlines Mission Tires went at 5 years and were bias Ply. At the beginning of this season I had a complete check up after 4 years on my 5th wheel. I asked about the tires being radial and Nitrogen filled if they would last longer and they said probably another two years.

In July on a two lane road in the Adirondacks a tire completely fell apart and destroyed a $200 fender trim along with it.

My conclusion: Bias or radial, air filled or Nitrogen filled, replace them at 5 years old.

I checked all the ratings on every trailer tire known to man and there is no tire with a good rating. Only those that are not as bad as others. I settled for Goodyear Marathon class D and one of them went flat the next trip a week later. It wasn't seated properly but caused me to change a tire again in the campsite this time. Or I should say AAA changed it for me. No problems since then and I do notice a much smoother ride with them if that's possible.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I had bias tires on mine that came with it. I noticed some cracks between the tread so I replaced them they were 11 years old. I replaced them with radial ply tires the difference was night a day. My Tacoma is a standard and the same trip I often take is hilly and it made a one gear difference in the hills! Because the air we breath is 75% nitrogen I have never bought into the nitrogen ideal I use bolt in metal tire stems and every time I check them they come up with in a pound.