Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Other Brands
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

SUN #12409
JaycoJake06 is an unknown quantity at this point
LiFePO4 with solar from lead acid - replace converter?

I have a 2006 Jayco travel trailer with 30 amp IOTA Engineering charger/converter/load center. Recently I installed two Renogy 200 watt solar panels with controller, monitor, inverter and 100 AH LiFePO4 battery. This system is presently isolated from the existing lead acid batteries and their respective wiring. I want to remove the lead acid batteries and tie the entire system to the new system. All things considered, I think it may be best to replace the entire charger/converter/load center with Progressive Dynamics'
Intel-Power Mighty Mini. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Silverado with "smart alternator". But maybe I don't need to replace converter. I boondock 60% of the time. I may add another battery and more solar.

Questions:
Will the existing, or new converter handle charging from my tow vehicle?
Is a Progressive Dynamics PD4045KA my best choice?
Should I turn solar power off when on shore power or traveling?
Maybe I just leave the existing converter alone, use my stand alone Victron UP65 15 amp smart charger when on shore power?

Old 03-31-2022, 07:11 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Only thing I can say the battery chemistry is different than a flooded cell battery so the charging systems need to reflect that. I run a 100Watt panel with two lead acid batteries it is fine for my needs never have had any issues with lack of power. That being said My panel is on an aluminum frame that is portable so I get full direct sun by turning/elevating the panel. I'm thinking your fixed panel set up should work fine just the way it is leave the existing system in place. If you have doubts a simple A/B switch would solve that.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:48 PM   #3

SUN #67
264SRinPA
To answer some of your questions.

The converter has nothing to do with charging from your vehicle. Your vehicle will give some charge, but not a lot. To get good charging from your vehicle, you would need a DC to DC charger.

The PD4045KA should be a good converter/charger for your LiFePO4 battery

No need to turn off the solar. Your solar controller will monitor the charging and do what it needs to do.

Your existing converter/charger will charge your LiFePO4 battery, but only to about 80%. Then your solar controller should kick in and finish the charge to 100%, but only if you have good sun.

LiFePO4 batteries need a constant 14.6 volts to get to full charge.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, converter, lifepo4, lithium

« My first SOB | - »