Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Recipes
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #1

SUN #96
rebellious78
Steaks over the campfire

Alot of people forget about whats its like to cook over the campfire like the cowboys did. We are quick to go to the store and buy the latest gas grill and slap a steak on there for dinner. Don't get me wrong I do it too if time is limited or we are just plain tired from the days activities, but there is just something different about cooking oer the wood fire.

Just get some nice split hard wood burnt down to almost coals. Having too much flame will burn your steaks. Once your fire is right either use use the fire ring grate or one you have brought from home and place it on the fire to warm it up.
While the grate is warming go ahead and season your steaks the way you would like.( we use ribeye) Then go ahead and oil the grate up so the steaks will not stick to the grate.
Check the fire and judge where the best heat is at according to how you want to cook your steak;More hear for Medium or rare to sear the outside, and less heat to cook to well done so its nice and slow and does not burn.
Try your best to only turn the steak once, because repeated turn will cause the meat to toughen up. After you take them off let them rest for a few minutes while you get the rest of the meal together. Letting them rest helps the juices penetrate back into the meat.

The last thing is to sit down and enjoy your meal and beverage that you have prepared the old fashioned way.

Dave

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys, WOW that sounds absolutely wonderful. NOW I want to go buy a couple of ribeyes, marinate them, start a nice hot fire, oil the grill and wait for Gary to get home so he can finish the job and then we will sit down for a wonderful dinner while watching the glowing hot coals, think I'll get things started.... OH WAIT, IT'S POURING DOWN RAIN so much for that nice vision, maybe next camping trip

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Kitty... LOL!!!

Dave, yes camping is very relaxing to cook the old and slow way. I have in the camper and use the grate from time to time and it works well. Now that I bought a Weber Baby Que I’m spoiled rotten on the grilling.

But I’m a Dutch oven guy. Can cook most anything in one and we do. Also have a bunch of pics etc to some day make up posts on them. Hopefully I can still find the recipe to go with the pics….

Since Cindy has discovered the crock pot my Dutch oven cooking has slowed down but I still do it as a therapeutic event.

I have seen folks with the tri-pod adjustable grate for grilling. Never used one and they look like you can regulate the heat easier them my rock and brick method the plain grate I carry. And I keep telling myself, John you do not need another gizmo in the camper….. I’ll let you know which side of the brain wins. To be thrifty and skip it or end up finding a place to store it….

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I’ll let you know which side of the brain wins. To be thrifty and skip it or end up finding a place to store it….

John
John,

Isn't that why you bought a "bigger" Sunline, so you have room for "MORE STUFF" ????
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

SUN #987
awellis3
As an old-timey canoe camper and Virginia voyageur, let me add to this delightful thread.
We still carry a grilling basket from my canoeing days. You know the kind, basket with bottom and sides and an adjustable lid to trap the food. Most necessary for fish but works for everything, even veggies. Using this your meal is trapped inside the grill. You turn the grill, food and all. No spillage, no steaks in the fire, no fish falling between the bars, no food sticking while flipping. Sweet!

Teach
P.S. - ask about my reflector oven
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #6

SUN #96
rebellious78
You can never have to many grills. It's a addiction of mine for which the Mary Ann reminds me of all the time. We carry a adjustable swinging type grill that breaks down to lay flat and a charcoal grill too. We also have one of those grilling baskets too that is left over from our tent camping days as well. It's always good to have options fro what you would like to do.
John we used to do allot of dutch oven cooking too, but have not been into it much lately. We do still keep them in the camper incase we get the urge. I know it seems we never have enough room for all of our gadgets that we think are needed to go camping.
Long as everyone has a great time thats all that matters.

David & Mary Ann
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

SUN #1484
Smitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Fire cooking a steak is the only way to go. Kanyonkitty, look for some of Webers Montreal Steak Seasoning. Awesome stuff, way better than marinating.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

SUN #96
rebellious78
Yes, the Montral is good. Try the Webber's Apple BBQ as well it is excellent. Your right seasoning this way is easier and less messy.

David & Mary Ann