Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > General Campground Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #1

SUN #287
nickster60
Sleeping at the Wally World

Down here in Fl in the winter you see lots of folks sleeping at Wal-Mart with there TT. Is this safe ? What about truck stops does any one stop there for the night? I can see how it would save time on a long trip

nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Nick,

Both places have advantages. Wally World's in some states don't allow overnight RV parking due to city ordinances. We have stayed at the Wally World in Chattanooga, TN on our way to Ft. Myers on Spring Break, and it's worked out well. Leave home about 3 P.M. and drive until 2 or 3 A.M., pull over at Wally World for about 5-6 hours, and then hit the road again. Then again, we have only done it in a MH, so we never get out of the coach. I don't know if you'd want to get out of a TV and into a TT in the middle of the night in an unknown city. The best plan when staying at Wal-Mart is to go inside (if it's open) first and clear it with the management, just in case there is some sort of ordinance. I've heard that some people do some shopping in that store in return for parking overnight.

I think truck stops would be a little safer, but you'd have to listen to the trucks running all night. If you don't mind that, then your fine.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Been there - done that (both Wally World and truck stops) - I actually felt more "secure" at the truck stop - but it sure was noisy!

Wally-World was our 1st night in our 06 T1950 - I did not sleep that night, afraid the police would come and throw us out!

Gee back in the 80's we slept in rest areas, truck stops and anywhere we could find we when went cross country - anything to save a $ - gosh see what 25 years does for you!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #4

SUN #196
tinybluetj
I might sleep at WW in a MH, but not in something I had to get out to drive away in case there was a problem. Often, Wally World's are not in the best parts of town, and they attrct a lot of interesting folks at 3 in the a.m. I much prefer to pay the 20-30 bucks for a campsite and a sense of security. My saftey is not worth the savings.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
We haven't done it yet but it's tempting. I think it depends on the locaiton. We have 2 WalMarts near us. At the one you can't even have magnets on your car because someone will steal them in the 10 minutes you run into the store. (I speak from personal experience) At the other one the clientel is the total opposite...good Lancaster County country folks. So, I'd feel really comfortable camping at the one, but am not even comfortable shopping at the other!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, though I’m not against staying a night at Wal-Mart or a truck stop, I feel it’s also important to support the local campgrounds and state parks.

We’ve stayed a night a Wal-Mart once and one other time in a shopping plaza parking lot. But both times we pulled into the parking lot around midnight, got about 6 hours of sleep and back on the road. As Jon mentioned, if staying at Wal-Mart, make sure you go in and ask permission to spend the night.

If you're interested, here’s a link that talks about Camping at Wal-Mart and one that list theWal-Marts that DO NOT allow overnight parking.

Here's also a link to search for Free or Almost Free Campgrounds

Our preference when traveling is to drive 4 – 5 hours (200 – 250 miles for us) get into a campground around 2 – 3pm and have time to experience the area before heading out the next day.

I personally find that when driving while towing a trailer is much more exhausting than driving without one in tow. Therefore, a 10+ hour driving day when towing the trailer is just not enjoyable. Plus I prefer not to drive at night, so we very rarely find ourselves in a position that we’re on the road late at night looking for a place to stop.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #7

SUN #115
emam
Cindy and I never drive at night unless it's mandatory. In the past 7 months on the road, we've stayed in a Wal-Mart about once a week on average. There have been plenty of times we might stay in a different one for 3 or 4 nights in a row.

I'll admit that the first few times, I didnt get much sleep, but after awhile, you get used to the intermitten noise of a loud car passing by.

Our reasoning, if we've spent the enitre day riding bikes or enjoying a paddle until the sun goes down, and the next day we're going to be moving to a different spot to do the same, then why waste $30 - $40 just to be plugged in for the night?

Notice the 3rd camper in the picture has their Blue Tote out for their Grey Water!!!

Not one time have we been bothered and most of the time when we wake up in the A.M. there are 3 or 4 other campers in the lot with us. Just dont be dumb and put your jack stands down, or unroll your awning. We've seen people with their Satalites out, generators running and BBQ Grills out while in the lot!!

No worries, as long as you're not in a bad part of town, most know you're just there for the night. Heck, in Crystal River FL, they have dedicated parking spots for long term RV Praking in the local Wal-Mart. We stayed at a campground for a week, and ever time we passed, there would be more then 10 RV's in the Wal-Mart lot!!

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote