Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > General Campground Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Ohio Camping Suggestions

We are planning a trip to check out some land we own in northwestern PA about 30 miles from Erie and want to travel to Ohio as well. I've read that the drive from Conneaught to Toledo is beautiful and am looking for suggestions on where to go and what to see. I'm also interested how complicated it will be to travel through Cleveland towing the TT.

We have a total of two weeks plus an extra day at the start and end of the trip. The time period for the trip is most likely the last week of July and first week of August.

We'll be traveling with our two standard poodles so dog-friendly campgrounds would be a priority. Marshall has never been to Ohio and I haven't been since a child so this will all be new us.

Diane

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Diane,

Here are 2 options on the State Park circuit. We have camped at both and both are very nice. You mentioned traveling through Cleveland so it seems you are working your way more west. These 2 parks are on the way on the north east end of Ohio.

Geneva on the Lake. This one may be more on your way. if you are coming across I90 heading west. They are right on Lake Erie. This park is not far off I90. Maybe 15 minutes.

Ohio State Parks - Geneva State Park

Looks like this with a Sunline camping there

Now if you are coming across more in the upper eastern end of Ohio there is Pymatuning Lake. This one we stop at when we come out of PA. It you are more middle of PA then let of know we can more down that way too there is West Branch.

Ohio State parks - Pymatuning State Park

And Pymatuning with a Sunline

Where does your route take you? Depending how far west in Ohio you are going there are more parks. By Toledo there is Mauume Bay. We have camped there too and other SOC members. If you are beyond Toledo and almost in IN, there is Henderson Lake. Camped there too.

If you are not as far as Toledo there is Kelly's Island and East Harbor near Sandusky.

How far are you going and what are your interests?

I know the north end of the state more for State Park campgrounds. Others may know the actual sites to see better.

I have never towed the camper through the Cleveland area so I can't help there. We always seem to be coming up from the middle of the state to get to these northern parks.

Good luck and hope your trip goes well.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Toledo and my in-laws have a condo in Marblehead. We have only camped in state parks in the area (Maumee Bay and East Harbor), but could offer suggestions of things to see and do.

As JohnB asked, how far west do you plan to travel? If coming to Toledo, how long do you plan to stay? What are your interests - history, museums, sports, nature, restaurants, etc?
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

SUN #213
John, what beauiful pictures!! I think one or two state parks should be on the itinerary.

We are not sure how long we will be in Ohio. Current plans are to head to Corry, PA, (southeast of Erie) and spend at least three nights there then head towards Conneaught, OH. We have about 16 days total for this trip which includes getting back home to MD. Getting all the way to Toledo may be too ambitious in this time frame.

Seeing as much of Lake Erie as possible is high on the list. We also like to do wine tastings and take long walks with the dogs. Not much on night life but we do enjoy lunches at restaurants, especially local ones. Eating walleye is also on the list if it's available. My father and uncle used to fish out of Port Clinton a couple times a year and always had lots of fish.

Diane
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

SUN #481
Wineries:
Catawba Island (Port Clinton area) is home to Mon Ami Restaurant and Winery. Kelleys Island (take ferry from Marblehead) has wineries. My SIL suggested Serrante in Geneva, Papermoon in Vermillion, and Firelands in Sandusky though I've never been to these.

Walleye:
There are several restaurants in Port Clinton-Catawba Island-Marblehead area that serve walleye.
Mon Ami has several walleye dishes and a seafood buffet on Saturday. http://www.monamiwinery.com/cms-asse...---10-2011.pdf

If you'd like to catch your own, Jolly Roger Seafood House in Port Clinton will prepare your catch.

State Park Campgrounds:
Maumee Bay State Park is on the western edge of Lake Erie, just east of Toledo. It's about 30-45 minutes from Port Clinton/Marblehead. Ohio State Parks - Maumee Bay State Park

East Harbor State Park is on Lake Erie between Port Clinton and Marblehead. Some sites at East Harbor are non-pet. Ohio State Parks - East Harbor State Park

Kelleys Island has a campground, 18 of the sites are pet-friendly. Ohio State Parks - Kelley's Island
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Diane,

I map Bing mapped those 2 areas to see what you where near. Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

OK now we know a little more where you are headed.

Geneva State park that I linked you too in my first post is near there and the town of Geneva has a lot of wineries all over. The little town of Geneva on the Lake is pretty neat to see as well.

Here are some wine things from the area. The State Park lodge is on an amazing setting right on the lake. We went to picnic there the view was so great.

Northeast Ohio Wineries | Northeast Ohio Vineyards

Ohio Wine Association

http://www.ohiowines.org/cgi-bin/winery.pl?xe

Your in grape country up there near the lake.

We have never been to any of these wineries but I know towing through Geneva to get to the State Park Camp ground, wine is a big deal there... There are wine kegs out in the street advertizing big time. They may have a wine festival too.

Hope this helps

John

PS, if Geneva State Park is of interest, I have more pics of the park. Let me know I'll post of send. We have camped there 3 times

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

SUN #213
Great information and much appreciated!! Now Marshall has to let me know when he can be off and we can start making plans.

Diane
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I love Kelley's Island. I haven't been there in a while and haven't been with the trailer, but it's a neat place to go. I don't think it was very big, but since I went with my boy scout troop, we took the boat over and walked the whole way to the campground, so it seemed big.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

SUN #481
Kelleys Island is not very large. It is approximately:
2800 acres
4.6 sq mi
almost 18 miles of shoreline