Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > Mid-Eastern
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #1

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
Lake Raystown Family Campground - Raystown Lake PA

Ive done a lot of camping the last year, not in my sunny, but rather a jayco popup I had access to, but I figured, heck, might as well tout the camping around my lake....so.....

Lake Raystown Family Camping Resort - Raystown Lake, Huntingdon-ish PA
Campground Information: See the rather expansive web site

Campground Web Site: http://www.raystownlakecamping.com/

Campground Visit / Stay Information:
Date(s) of Visit/Stay: 4th of july period 2010
Length of Visit/Stay: 4 nights
Site # / Type (PT or BkIn) / Hook-Ups (WES or WE or E or None):
This place has all, from primi up to full hookups (see the website) However....transient trailer sites are VERY hard to come by and I will get to that later...
Site Amenities (Picnic Table (PT); Paved/Gravel/Grass; Pad; Cable; etc):
Picnic Table, fire ring, sites are gravel with some grass. Primi sites are 'woods' - tents or small pops only.
Rate / night: See the website
Extra Charges / night (Pets, Children, A/C, etc): none but they used to get more for 50amp
First Visit or Return Visit: Not my first rodeo here...I was permi here for 3 years in the 90's
Your Rating (1 Low – 5 High): 3

Campground Facilities Information:
Number & Type of Sites (PT / Back-In):250 sites total, but not many for the weekend. Read below in comments
Hook-Ups (# with WES / WE / E /None): Call
Credit Cards Accepted (VISA, MC, Disc, None): Pay by check, cash or plastic
Discounts Accepted (Good Sam, KOA, other): None that I know of
Interior Roads (Paved/Gravel; Wide/Narrow; Good/Bad): Entrance and first few sites paved, rest is gravel. you can get a tractor trailer down it with no sweat.
Level Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Wide/Open Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Restroom Cleanliness (1 low – 3 high): They have a toilet house with flushing toilets and water and outlets and hot showers. Clean enuf BUT, there fore only *4* male or female, for the ENTIRE campground. This place caters to self contained TT's. If you are primi, its a LONG WALK to the privy.
Store (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Game Room (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Pool (Yes/No; Heated/Not Heated; Clean, rating: 1 low – 3 high): no

Campground Impressions:
Kid Friendly (Yes/No - Activities): yes, playgrounds for the kids and some wide open space
People Friendly (Yes/No): Yes -
WiFi Friendly (Yes/No; - Charge?/Service Provider?): wifi and you can get verizon phone landline if you are permi.
Cell Phone Coverage (Yes/No - Service Provider?):yes.
Pet Friendly (Yes/No): yes.

Personal Comments:
I have known rather well this campground for nigh onto 28 years and knew the previous owners rather well.

I was permi there in the mid 90's before I bought a house in Huntingdon, when it was very reasonable. Now, like the rest of the lake sites, its very unreasonable - $1700-$2300 per 6 months with metered electric at a rate 'they set based on the day'. Which sucks cuz PA is a net electricity exporter and every house I have owned in PA (incl my one in huntingdon) had a 8 cent per kwh charge...

Why the attraction then? This is one of 3 sites that have quick, direct access to a lake launch. If you have boated Raystown you know what I mean. This campground has a private, gated, graded (but not smooth) road to 'Snyders Run Boat Launch', which is ACoE ($3 per launch) and very paved and easily the best on the lake. (I myself have used it for 23 seasons)

As a result, this campground is full, new permis are added each year (small waiting list) and what they have for transient fill fast. When I was there with my prowler, what once were transient and now permis and what is left is in the middle of a baking hot field. The tent sites are WAY out on the perimeter and some might describe them as 'clinging to the side of a hill'.

Its not the most expensive on the lake for full hookups but for primi? yikes - $30 a night....thats 3 nights at a govt campground.

The permi sites are well improved - they allow decks the size of aircraft carriers and roofs and sheds and lights and blah blah blah. Spacing is rather good and permi sites generally have parking for normal sized boats. If you have a Cig, you get to park in the field - for free.

Caveat: to get to the top of Piney Ridge where this is located, you have to take one of 2 ball-busting hill climbs. Either a well hidden one from huntingdon, or follow the signs for 7-points recreation area (ACoE) from PA rt 26. This is not the place to show off how big your truck is - plenty of piston rods litter the berms on these hills. And going down fast....well ever hear that country song 'Wolf Creek Pass'?

While I have the most experience at this location, its not my top choice, but its a damned if you do, damned if you dont choice - the Snyders Run Launch is infinitely the best and the other campground that has access is full, permi only and private ("the Landing").

Oh, and Raystown apparently has a nessie-like monster (google "raystown ray") which is pretty cool considering its a manmade lake built (1973) over another manmade lake, built (1911) over a river that traditionally in the summer is simply wet-rocks. Mebbe you can get your in-laws eaten if you chum with proper bait...