Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > Mid-Eastern
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
Heritage Cove Resort - Saxton PA (Lake Raystown)

Heritage Cove Resort - Saxton PA/Raystown Lake PA
Campground Information: See the rather expansive web site

Campground Web Site: Heritage Cove

Campground Visit / Stay Information:
Date(s) of Visit/Stay: Memorial Day Weekend 2010
Length of Visit/Stay: 3 nights
Site # / Type (PT or BkIn) / Hook-Ups (WES or WE or E or None):
This place has all, from primi up to full hookups (see the website). I had full hookups.

Site Amenities (Picnic Table (PT); Paved/Gravel/Grass; Pad; Cable; etc):
Picnic Table, fire ring, sites are some gravel with some grass.
Rate / night: See the website (one of the most expensive on the lake)
Extra Charges / night (Pets, Children, A/C, etc): oh heck ya - see the website
First Visit or Return Visit: 1st
Your Rating (1 Low – 5 High): 4

Campground Facilities Information:
Number & Type of Sites (PT / Back-In):See the website, but they have full hookups at all 195 sites
Hook-Ups (# with WES / WE / E /None): WES
Credit Cards Accepted (VISA, MC, Disc, None): Pay by check, cash or plastic
Discounts Accepted (Good Sam, KOA, other): None that I know of
Interior Roads (Paved/Gravel; Wide/Narrow; Good/Bad): All good graded gravel with speed bumps. you can get a tractor trailer down it with no sweat.
Level Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Wide/Open Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Restroom Cleanliness (1 low – 3 high): They have a toilet houses all over with showers and flushing toilets, all clean enough with 'fixers' on call each day.
Store (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2* (see below)
Game Room (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Pool (Yes/No; Heated/Not Heated; Clean, rating: 1 low – 3 high): yes

Campground Impressions:
Kid Friendly (Yes/No - Activities): yes, playgrounds for the kids and some wide open space, lots of activities
People Friendly (Yes/No): Yes -
WiFi Friendly (Yes/No; - Charge?/Service Provider?): wifi
Cell Phone Coverage (Yes/No - Service Provider?):spotty at best
Pet Friendly (Yes/No): yes.

Personal Comments:
This was my first trip here and I selected it because, well I had a late decision to boat/camp for memorial day and this was the best place with an opening.

the only reason I did not give it a 5 is because of the price - this is the most on the lake and they have the most nickel and dime charges.

This is the ONLY non-ACoE campsite on the lake, with free direct access to the lake. Actually, it accesses the Juniata River upstream (which is actually south) where it has enuf depth you can get most pleasureboats in. The ramp is somewhat improved, it has a transient dock for launching BUT, they have a new for 2010 party boat rental and they park it at the dock so you find you have to raft off...

I selected this place because I do boat raystown and for campers you can park your boat for a small fee and launch. Again - nickel and dime costs.

The sites are the best for room on Raystown, and levelness - meaning I have been to roomier sites on the lake, but the only reason you have space is you are clinging to a cliff.

the sites also retain a lot of woodsyness and are well manicured.

A lot of activities to do and not too many roaming packs of teens at night. VERY quiet at night.

Now the trick is finding it. The directions they give are nearly useless and it was only the fact that I or my family have lived near there for 27+ years that I knew how to find it. DO NOT listen to local descriptions of shortcuts. The roads are not traversable by a TT.

Id say that oustside of the ACoE, its the nicest looking and because the ACoE beleives in clearcutting each campsite to a sunbaked hardness, it gets the nod, even at over twice the price.

Its access from the PA turnpike/I-70 is the best of any spot on the lake.

If you are a boater, the channel can be challenging to find deep enuf water - they have a map which I re-surveyed for them this year and I draw 3ft at rest. But it is no wake for the entire run (appx 3-4 miles) and the fine is huge. The PAFC or ACoE glasses the area and mails you a ticket that you must appear for.

The store is kinda sparse, but, they do deliver the firewood. PA has a wood ban going due to some death beetle so campers are a captive audience.

Boatless friends of mine from WV are interested in coming this far north to try it out - its worth the drive. But as I have said numerous times - the price.

The town of Saxton is not too far away and has a well stocked, reasonable priced indy-grocery store and a DG.

The main draws are: location, location, location. Easy access to a big road, reasonable distance to staples, lake access, good level sites.