Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Campground Reviews from a Sunline Owner's Perspective > Mid-Eastern
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Fort Whaley, Whaleyville, MD

Campground Information:
Campground Name: Fort Whaley Campground
Campground Address: Dale Road, Whaleyville, MD
Campground Phone #: 888-322-7717
Campground Web Site: www.fortwhaley.com

Campground Visit / Stay Information:
Date(s) of Visit/Stay: 8/19/10 thru 8/22/10
Length of Visit/Stay: 4 nights
Site # / Type (PT or BkIn) / Hook-Ups (WES or WE or E or None):
We had a site with water & electric but WES are available as well as primitive sites...OH THE DUMP STATION IS UNEVEN MAKING IT VERY DIFFICULT TO EMPTY TANKS.
Site Amenities (Picnic Table (PT); Paved/Gravel/Grass; Pad; Cable; etc):
Picnic Table, fire ring, sites are gravel with some grass.
Rate / night: Varies per site (40.00 primitive to $78.00 Super Site) price is based on two adults , children under 11 are free, children 11-17 are add'l $5.00
Extra Charges / night (Pets, Children, A/C, etc): kids under 11 are free, kids 11-17 are an add'l $5.00 per nite - there is add'l fee for "visitors"
First Visit or Return Visit: 1st
Your Rating (1 Low – 5 High): 4

Campground Facilities Information:
Number & Type of Sites (PT / Back-In):There is about 150 camping sites available ranging from primitive to lakefront.....
Hook-Ups (# with WES / WE / E /None): Range from primitive to WES
Credit Cards Accepted (VISA, MC, Disc, None): Visa & M/C
Discounts Accepted (Good Sam, KOA, other): None
Interior Roads (Paved/Gravel; Wide/Narrow; Good/Bad): Main road is paved with lots of speed bumps.....interior loop roads are gravel and seem to be wide enough to back in without any problems
Level Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Wide/Open Sites (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2.5
Restroom Cleanliness (1 low – 3 high): They clean rest rooms between 2 & 4 am - I was there early (7am) and found them to be nice and clean
Store (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 3
Game Room (Yes/No; rating: 1 low – 3 high): 2
Pool (Yes/No; Heated/Not Heated; Clean, rating: 1 low – 3 high): Don't know if it was heated (after all it was in the 90's when we were there) but it is/was very clean.....

Campground Impressions:
Kid Friendly (Yes/No - Activities): Yes - many activities for kids however it rained one day and they cancelled tie dieing T-shirts...???? still don't understand why
People Friendly (Yes/No): Yes -
WiFi Friendly (Yes/No; - Charge?/Service Provider?): Yes - free
Cell Phone Coverage (Yes/No - Service Provider?):AT&T worked fine
Pet Friendly (Yes/No): Certain sites

Personal Comments:
I tried to get into Frontiertown, their sister campground and I can honestly say I was very happy that we could not get in.....Fort Whaley is a very easy 20 minute drive to Ocean City, Assateague Island, and many other activities.....we had reservations for a crabbing/fishing trip with LUCKY BREAK (443-513-2006) located at Frontiertown...so we had to drive thru the campground to the Marina and I was not overly impressed with Frontiertown.....I'll drive the extra 20 minutes to have nice open spaces.....land lots of shade at Fort Whaley and much less congestion.....one draw back is A lane sites next to the road - if it rains you will get washed out.......they are large and shaded...close to the pool and all activities...if you are thinking of them - take the rear sites....if we re-visit the area we will definitely go back there!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
No, that wind you heard wasn't Hurricane George, it was just Mack letting out a long sigh of relief Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip

After our long on-line discussions about camping at Assateague, and y'all changing your plans based on those discussions, I'm glad things worked out.

BTW, one rainy day out of four, you did a LOT better than we usually do!! We usually try to sneak up on a beach weekend, cause if the word gets out were going to the beach, storms immmediately form. With this being a beach area, you'd think they would be ready for a crowd on a rainy day, not cancelling?!?!?!

How was the fishing/crabbing?

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
It was fun....crabbing was nothing like crabbing at the NJ shore when I was younger MANY moon ago!!!! I remember coming home with bushels of crab......Fishing was an added bonus to the crabbing...we actually had enough crab, flounder, blue fish and mussels for everyone at dinner in addition to the delicious steak...

We all went to the state beach swimming one day...it was quite nice, we could not get into the state campground but could see it from the National side.....which I found to be more of our type of camping....if Leo and I return to the area we will probably try to get reservations there.....they still allow a beer or two to be consumed LOL.....I don't think DD would appreciate it...she became VERY spoiled with water and electric sites at Fort Whaley!

I hear the few days before our arrival was terribly rainy....6" in a day WOW....if that much rain fell I think we would need a boat at our campsite!

Thanks for the many tips and yes we had a great time!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote