Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Wanted
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

SUN #2223
handrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanted: Sunline Sunspot

Although we are young, my boyfriend and I have fallen in love with RVing. Our first was the most beautiful, charming Sunline Sunspot.
It had been lovingly restored by our now RVing mentor. And we spent 6 months adding our own little pieces (shelves, bed, etc).

Sadly we were side swiped on our cross country adventure. Luckily everyone was ok, but the sunspot didn't survive.

We are desperately searching for another sunspot, if you have one, or know someone that does, we will travel anywhere in the country/north america to pick it up. It doesn't have to be in great condition, we would like it to have the original kitchen, and should be towable.

I honestly can't put a price on how much it would mean to us to be out again in a Sunspot. So I am open to all offers/prices.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

SUN #2223
You can see our original one in all her glory here....

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...albums298.html

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Hannah and Andrew! It's nice to see some fellow younger owners around here...we certainly are a minority.

Glad to see you guys made it here. I contacted you through your blog last year after I found the Sunspot at Insurance Auto Auctions and followed the link on the back doors to the blog. Such a sad story of how it came to happen, but the real advantage here is that it completely stayed together. Over 75% of other brands would break completely apart in a similar collision. More than likely the body would have blown apart, floor slid off the frame onto the ground, so everything would be scattered.

Sunspots are very hard to find these days, especially original. It seems that the eclectic types of owners they attracted through the years often modified them extensively more than any other Sunline. I've seen them with varying amounts of kitchen demolitions, and since everyone these days wants to have them like original, it's hard to put back. One member here, Marshall (purplesuebug), has bought three 1980 Sunspots over a few years just to gather all the parts to make one complete, original one with the original kitchen components, fenders, cushions, and front table.

They do come up for sale every so often, almost always via Craigslist, but you do have to act on it and drive a distance rather quickly. Sometimes the outside has been painted where it's hard to tell it actually was a Sunspot other than the shape/size.

Best of luck in your search!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #4

SUN #2223
Hi Jon
That's awesome that you found us through the link on the back doors. I'm sorry we never replied, I never saw the message
I assumed that it wasn't salvageable so I never thought about what was going to happen when we left it at the yard. I guess it was auctioned it off for parts?

We were lucky it didn't "explode" on impact. There were some valuable things in the cab (mainly my design portfolio I had just spent the last two years making) but everything made it out ok without a scratch.
I'm debating putting up wreck photos, might be too depressing

I'm constantly searching the web almost every week for anyone selling one. And we definitely know that it's worth the drive. Our first one, we drove from Atlanta to Miami in 2 days to pick it up. Luckily the guy was very nice and helpful and held it for us.

You say there's a gentleman that has bought 3 over the years? Would you happen to have his username? We'd be very interested in one of the "skeletons." Although we'd love one with the original fixtures, we'd be happy with just a shell to build on.

Thanks for all your help. I will definitely keep updating this thread. I'm so glad to have found a community as enthusiastic about sunlines as we are.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by handrew View Post
Hi Jon
That's awesome that you found us through the link on the back doors. I'm sorry we never replied, I never saw the message
I assumed that it wasn't salvageable so I never thought about what was going to happen when we left it at the yard. I guess it was auctioned it off for parts?
It's hard to say what happened with it, but more than likely, yes. It was sold through Insurance Auto Auctions. I've bought a car through them before and so I asked, do all the RVs usually sell? They said they do, so I'm not sure if people buy them for scrapping the aluminum? Really no RV salvage yards exist because they are so labor intensive to disassemble for a minimal return. As you know, the wood parts are all screwed together, and cabinets are always specific to that brand, sometimes that model, and most of the time to that specific floorplan, so they have a real limited amount of parts and limited market. Appliances and axles are really the only thing that can be sold to a wider clientele, and after a trailer gets over five years or so old, things can start to go wrong with those components that will cause a higher risk that it wouldn't be worth the money. Plus trailers take up a lot of real estate in a yard. At least with cars, there's usually a lot of parts they can sell (especially engine wise), probably up into the thousands. With trailers, you could basically count the parts on your hand, and while the appliance parts could be parted out, it's usually about the same cost or cheaper just to the part new from the original manufacturer/RV dealer.

Quote:
We were lucky it didn't "explode" on impact. There were some valuable things in the cab (mainly my design portfolio I had just spent the last two years making) but everything made it out ok without a scratch.
I'm debating putting up wreck photos, might be too depressing
I saw them by going back through your blog, but I'm always happy to see Sunline pictures, even if they are depressing. I have pictures from the auction, as well as a PDF of the ad, if you'd like me to e-mail it to you.

Quote:
I'm constantly searching the web almost every week for anyone selling one. And we definitely know that it's worth the drive. Our first one, we drove from Atlanta to Miami in 2 days to pick it up. Luckily the guy was very nice and helpful and held it for us.
In case don't know, SearchTempest will really be your friend. It can search all Craigslists. I try to make it through there once a month to save all the Sunlines on there. Another place to monitor is the Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forum. They seem to be the type who like to modify them away from original, but they may have some leads if one is sold privately and not on Craigslist.

I don't know if you know, but there were likely around 100 or less Sunspots ever produced between 1978-82, so they are very difficult to find in general.

Quote:
You say there's a gentleman that has bought 3 over the years? Would you happen to have his username? We'd be very interested in one of the "skeletons." Although we'd love one with the original fixtures, we'd be happy with just a shell to build on.
Yes, he's purplesuebug, but I don't think he's selling any of them.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I will definitely keep updating this thread. I'm so glad to have found a community as enthusiastic about sunlines as we are.
Awesome! Many brands out there have owners groups of some sort, but we are by far the most passionate and enthusiastic of any. Time after time, we've heard stories of people joining up here who bought their Sunline mostly because they did a little pre-purchase research on it, ended up here, liked that there was such a following, and decided to join.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

SUN #128
Tweety
You could send purplesuebug a PM. Worst that happens is that he says he isn't selling
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #7

SUN #3947
Really is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, I just looked at the pictures of your dear departed Sunspot and it was adorable. I'm sorry about the accident.

I just got a small full-size Sunline and even though it needs some work, I'm in love with it already. I'm a younger camper too with a few friends who also enjoy camping.

Hopefully you can find a new one on SearchTempest or on Ad Hunt'r - Search ALL of Craigslist™ and more! and find another one somewhere on Craigslist. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a SunSpot, but thought I'd pass it along to you.

RVs: Sunline Travel Trailer, 12.5 foot - Lansing, Michigan
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

SUN #2223
Thanks KanyonKitty!
That looks amazing! Definitely a contender. We will be sure to contact them.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

SUN #2223
Tweety, I will definitely give him a shout.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #11

SUN #2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
It's hard to say what happened with it, but more than likely, yes. It was sold through Insurance Auto Auctions. I've bought a car through them before and so I asked, do all the RVs usually sell? They said they do, so I'm not sure if people buy them for scrapping the aluminum? Really no RV salvage yards exist because they are so labor intensive to disassemble for a minimal return. As you know, the wood parts are all screwed together, and cabinets are always specific to that brand, sometimes that model, and most of the time to that specific floorplan, so they have a real limited amount of parts and limited market. Appliances and axles are really the only thing that can be sold to a wider clientele, and after a trailer gets over five years or so old, things can start to go wrong with those components that will cause a higher risk that it wouldn't be worth the money. Plus trailers take up a lot of real estate in a yard. At least with cars, there's usually a lot of parts they can sell (especially engine wise), probably up into the thousands. With trailers, you could basically count the parts on your hand, and while the appliance parts could be parted out, it's usually about the same cost or cheaper just to the part new from the original manufacturer/RV dealer.

I saw them by going back through your blog, but I'm always happy to see Sunline pictures, even if they are depressing. I have pictures from the auction, as well as a PDF of the ad, if you'd like me to e-mail it to you.

In case don't know, SearchTempest will really be your friend. It can search all Craigslists. I try to make it through there once a month to save all the Sunlines on there. Another place to monitor is the Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forum. They seem to be the type who like to modify them away from original, but they may have some leads if one is sold privately and not on Craigslist.

I don't know if you know, but there were likely around 100 or less Sunspots ever produced between 1978-82, so they are very difficult to find in general.

Yes, he's purplesuebug, but I don't think he's selling any of them.

Awesome! Many brands out there have owners groups of some sort, but we are by far the most passionate and enthusiastic of any. Time after time, we've heard stories of people joining up here who bought their Sunline mostly because they did a little pre-purchase research on it, ended up here, liked that there was such a following, and decided to join.
Thanks so much Jon, we would definitely like to see the ad for the auction, just to see where/how it went. Thanks for the SearchTempest suggestion, definitely a good resource, I was using Craiggers for a while, but it's still in beta mode.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

SUN #123
Quote:
Thanks so much Jon, we would definitely like to see the ad for the auction, just to see where/how it went. Thanks for the SearchTempest suggestion, definitely a good resource, I was using Craiggers for a while, but it's still in beta mode.
Send me a private message with an e-mail you'd like me to send it to.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #13

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to SOC! The loss of your beloved Sunspot must be heartbreaking. Hopefully, you'll soon find a satisfactory replacement. Glad no one was physically hurt.

Something I noticed in the ad for 12.5 in Lansing: "Floor hatch (used for ice fishing)"

Even though it's appr 30 yrs old, I'd think it would have had some kind of waterproofiing below the floor to keep moisture out. If someone cut a hole in the floor for ice fishing, what mod's did they do to keep it dry? I'd check the floor very closely. Maybe I'm way off - if so, I'm willing to learn.

The 12.5 does have a toilet (possible shower), a larger refrigerator, indoor kitchen for rainy days and holding tanks.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #14

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I know they are not Sunspots...but thought you might be interested:

17 ft. sunline camper

1981 SUNLINE 15FT CAMPER
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

SUN #2223
Thanks so much to everybody for the replies! I am researching every suggestion. Although the sunspot is our ultimate dream, y'all have definitely opened us up to small campers in general.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #16

SUN #3947
Really is an unknown quantity at this point
One just popped up in Ohio!

Sunline Sunspot!!! I bet you havent seen anything like this!!!!LOOK
Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #17

SUN #2223
Thanks! Saw it a few weeks ago, not sure if we can get to it before it sells, but we're hoping

Tags
mini, sunline, sunspot, tear drop, trailer