Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Wanted
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

SUN #12909
RVNewbie11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just seeking the Specifications for the UPPER BUNK of a Sunline T-1550

Hello Sunnies,

My 1988 T-1550 didn't come with any mattress or base
for the Upper Bunk and I want to craft something, but don't know
what it is supposed to be like.

I'm wondering if someone can explain what is supposed to be there??

Is there supposed to be Plywood? Thickness? Is is part of the mattress or a separate sheet?

Just a rectangular piece of foam?? How thick? Any "folds" or hinges" in it??? Dimensions??

I want to make what would have been there originally, so it folds up properly and is structurally sound....Presently, one would fall through the two cabinets if they just laid up there! There is nothing there at all right now!

Any chance anyone can explain or take take some pictures...??

Thank you!!!

Mark in Massachusetts

Ps. I weigh about 140. Any Adults every slept up there and lived to tell about it??

Old 05-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mark,

Am I safe to assume you have the actual cabinet that folds down?

From my discovery in rebuilding my '79, the folding part of the cabinet is a big wood frame, covered in 1/8" paneling on both sides. The cabinet doors are a little flimsier but they don't hold weight.

When you fold the cabinet down, from the factory, it would lay down on the window valances, which were roughly pieces of 1x3 screwed to the wall and covered in paneling and fabric. Once the cabinet lowers or you open a cabinet door, you'd reveal a single piece of 1/8" paneling and a folded piece of foam. The paneling lays down over the cabinet door area to prevent falling through there.

The foam "mattress" is maybe about an inch thick or a little more. It's covered in sewn fabric, with a fabric "hinge" holding the two pieces together. Unfold it/lay it flat in the space to fill the entire new cabinet bunk. The foam is very soft and will quickly flatten out with any significant weight.

My trailer is completely torn down right now or I'd try to get some pics for you. If you want some pics of the mattress or cabinet bunk hinged face, I can get those if you'd like.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #3

SUN #12909
Wow! Thank you. I think I'm following you...

Hello!

I think I'm picturing this now.

So, you have a large rectangular piece of 1/8" Paneling that is the dimension
of just the part that would be where the cabinets are, about 80" Wide by about 18" deep -- but attached to it is a hinged section of cushion that would hinge in the same place where the entire bunk is hinged.

So when you fold it up, the hinged flap nests into the cabinet and the part with the paneling flips upward to the same height as the bunk -- so that you can flip the bunk up and close it.

So basically a big foam, mattress rectangle -- some with a backer board and some not -- or even all with a backer board, but hinged strategically to be able to tuck away and nest inside the cabinet/bunk assembly.

This makes 100% sense.

Only questions:

1. With the bunk folded up and the cushion/backer board assembly nested away, are the cabinets pretty useless at that point? Seems like once folded up, there wouldn't be any cabinet room. I'm presuming that the backer board section would be just flipped upright and would stand up even when folded in...so not much room for anything in the cabinets. Is this a correct assumption, or are the cabinets intended to have some functionality when the cushion assembly is stowed?

2. Is there anything that "holds it up" inside the cavity? or does the ~1" cushion and fabric-covered, hinged backboard cushion just stuff in when you flip it up and basically open up when you bring it down.

3. Anyone bigger than a child ever sleep or read up there -- and live to tell about it? I'm 140#. It is supported just as you said, with the two 1"X3" window shades - one on each side. I wonder how strong those are!

Thank you so much!! I can see it in my mind, which I couldn't before!

Mark in Massachusetts
Old 05-26-2022, 12:49 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie11 View Post
Only questions:

1. With the bunk folded up and the cushion/backer board assembly nested away, are the cabinets pretty useless at that point? Seems like once folded up, there wouldn't be any cabinet room. I'm presuming that the backer board section would be just flipped upright and would stand up even when folded in...so not much room for anything in the cabinets. Is this a correct assumption, or are the cabinets intended to have some functionality when the cushion assembly is stowed?
Correct, the cabinets are pretty much useless. Open the cabinet door with the bed folded up and you'll see the foam and board, lol. I guess it depends on the trailer/floorplan. Sometimes front wall cabinet bunks may have a tiny bit of space because the cavity behind the cabinet isn't square to the cabinet. But keep in mind anything put in there will need to be pulled out to lay it out as a bed. I'm really not sure why they bothered to put cabinet doors with latches on the cabinet bunks; not like it was useful. However, this is many times why the mattresses go missing and finding originals are not easy. People remove the mattress and board and use it as a standard cabinet.

Quote:
2. Is there anything that "holds it up" inside the cavity? or does the ~1" cushion and fabric-covered, hinged backboard cushion just stuff in when you flip it up and basically open up when you bring it down.
Nothing to hold it that I know of, it just stuffs in. The cabinet bunk designs have changed some over the years too- older ones were held in position with a single nylon strap and snap. Newer ones had two brass slider latches, one on each end.

Quote:
3. Anyone bigger than a child ever sleep or read up there -- and live to tell about it? I'm 140#. It is supported just as you said, with the two 1"X3" window shades - one on each side. I wonder how strong those are!

Thank you so much!! I can see it in my mind, which I couldn't before!

Mark in Massachusetts
Technically the published max weight is 100 lbs. I was just in the '97 brochure tonight and it showed that, although I'm not sure if any '97 models still had cabinet bunks. I'm sure it could be reinforced to hold more weight but the whole assembly is so light duty, I don't see that making sense.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 AM   #5

SUN #12909
Thank you so much for the clarifications...and the weight specs. Mine has the single snap and strap retainer.

I've decided to abandon my plan of turning this upper bunk into a little nap/meditation space. It isn't worth the risk and whereas, I'll be selling this at some point, I don't want to pass on a nightmare/hazard to someone else, if it is strained too much.

Thank you for the thoughtful and ever clear replies!

Awesome thread.

All the best.

Mark in Massachusetts

Tags
mattress, plans, specifciations, sunline 1550, upper bunk