Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > For Sale Forums > Wanted
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
In need of a receiver, draw bar and dual cam setup

I'm picking up the T-320 on Saturday 7/18 and my current class 2 setup just isn't going to cut it.

I've been pricing receivers/drawbar setups and the prices on the new stuff is scary.

I have a 1993 F250 diesel and wonder if anyone may have a setup that would work for me.

Thanks!
Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi Gary

If you dont get any hits on here you may want to check out E-Bay you may find something on there , I think just a couple of weeks ago someone found a a Reese Dual cam set up on there for a pretty good price

Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Gary

I have a used 2005 Ford Super Duty receiver that I’m willing to part with if it will fit your truck.

Here is the rating: It is a 2” receiver.

And some pics

This is it next to my new Towbeast 2 ½” receiver but it gives you some more views

It mounts to the truck frame like this. This is the new one, but the Ford one mounts the same

On the WD hitch, heads up, I’m pretty sure your ball coupler is on top and you have a 6” channel iron frame. You are going to need a 1” hi rise tow ball to make the DC work right. Here is mine next to the standard ball. They sell these at Tractros Supply for like ~ $25. They are gooseneck trailer tow ball and rated for 25,000# pull. I know you do not need all that rating, but getting a lesser rater is not a lot cheaper. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

Here is my T310SR with the DC and that Ford receiver. At this point my tongue weight was limited to 1,200# and I had 1,200# WD bars. I had to replace the receiver and WD bars to go above the Ford 1,250# WD rated receiver.

If my old receiver fits your truck, I can measure it for you if you want, we can make some kind of deal as I need to stop tripping over it. It is a very good receiver and worked well within it’s weight limits.

Now the question is, will your T320SR stop at 1,250# tongue weight? Do you happen to have a picture of the weight sticker that Sunline put in the medicine or kitchen cabinets? This will give us a starting place then we can figure in the dry and loaded tongue weight If you come out in the 1,400# area, well you have the same problem I did.

Looking up the stock 2003 T320SR, it was a 6,380 dry GVW and a 775# tongue. That is 12.1% dry tongue. Which I question is what your actual weigth sticker says. Yours is significantly lighter dry then mine and yours has more interior stuff. My weigth sticker from Sunline is 7,142 dry. So check your weigth sticker.

It is not shocking for your loaded TT weight to reach around 8,300# no water. So if we used that as a loaded estimate and you loaded equal (not always doable) that is 1,000# tongue weight. H’mm so you “might” fit into a 1,200# WD hitch even with some front loading going on. The only real way to know is weigh the TT.

So if my receiver is of interest, let me know and I can measure it for you.

Hope this helps

John

PS Ford actually put a class 2 receiver on that truck???? OMG. Do you have the 7.3 Diesel?

PS. Make sure you get the Reese HP trunion bar hitch with the DC and be looking for 1,200# WD bars at least to start with. Drawtite will work too, but the if you can, the Reese HP head adjusts better. But if you get a great deal on a 1,200# Drawtite, it will work too. Just make sure the WD bars have the V notch ends. By going trunion bar, if you ever get into a heavier tongue situation, you can upgrade just the WD bars to 1,500#'s. The hitch head, DC and Reese snaps up are 1,700# rated. If you go round bar, your options are limited and the hitch head does not adjust as fine. Don't get me wrong the round bar sized right will work, but if you can get the trunion bar now, it will save you some issues later on.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB

PS Ford actually put a class 2 receiver on that truck???? OMG. Do you have the 7.3 Diesel?

PS. Make sure you get the Reese HP trunion bar hitch with the DC and be looking for 1,200# WD bars at least to start with. Drawtite will work too, but the if you can, the Reese HP head adjusts better. But if you get a great deal on a 1,200# Drawtite, it will work too. Just make sure the WD bars have the V notch ends. By going trunion bar, if you ever get into a heavier tongue situation, you can upgrade just the WD bars to 1,500#'s. The hitch head, DC and Reese snaps up are 1,700# rated. If you go round bar, your options are limited and the hitch head does not adjust as fine. Don't get me wrong the round bar sized right will work, but if you can get the trunion bar now, it will save you some issues later on.
John,
Thanks for the quick reply! I have no idea if the receiver will fit my truck, but I will measure it! Just let me know where you are measuring from, so I'll have a good reference point.

Do you still have your 1200# dual cam setup too? I need it all...

Ford didn't put a class 2 on it... A PO did that.. Ford didn't put anything on it. It does have the 7.3 pre-powerstroke in it, so I can make my own fuel...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyseagull
Hi Gary

If you dont get any hits on here you may want to check out E-Bay you may find something on there , I think just a couple of weeks ago someone found a a Reese Dual cam set up on there for a pretty good price
I'll check it out, but I don't think I'd have them in hand and installed in time, if I went that route...

Thanks!
Gary

Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Another good source for used hitches and such is your area's craigslist.org. I know it can be hit and miss, but you can usually find at least one or more ad for this stuff at any given time. Whether there'd be an available receiver for your truck is hit and miss, much like ebay. But you'd have a good chance of finding the rest of the pieces.

I did some prowling around www.reeseprod.com and their product selector shows a real model year boundary for receivers. A receiver that will fit a 95 Ford F-250 will fit all sorts of trucks over a wide range of years, but stops cold at 2004 for the Fords and then only the 150's. A receiver that will fit an '05 F-250/350 fits anything newer, but nothing older. That suggests some serious differences in the frame shapes between your two trucks.

Whether John's receiver will actually fit up there in a '95 is another question. It may be a difference of just a few hole locations or it could be an entirely different frame width or shape. One you could deal with while the other is a deal-breeaker.

Since you are under some time constraints, you may find yourself buying a new receiver while gathering in used hitch parts a the same time.

One final suggestion: RV dealers generally charge more for things that can be easily found elsewhere. In this case, try a dealer that is more aimed at trailers instead of RV's. You'll be surprised at the price differences. There are two trailer shops in Rochester NY that carry a full line of Reese and other manufacturers's hitches, receivers, and other towing items. Their prices are consistenly lower than any RV dealer I've been in up here. John's suggestion about where to get the high rise ball is a good example of this, too. Check out Tractor Supply's other towing stuff for price comparisons.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #7

SUN #89
Hi Gary

Here is the receiver. If it will fit, then we can go to the next step if you want to. However after searching it might not.

The holes in the mounting flange. Uses 3/4 bolts. You may have to drill your frame

The part closest to the pin box

The part furthest away from pin box

Steve reminded me of the Super Duty frame change. I know in 2005, my truck frame is the same as the F250, F350 and F450. When Ford redid the frame to be heavier this was part of the Super duty upgrade.

Don’t know if the left to right width of the frame rails changed or not but the overall height and thickness did get heavier so they could up the GVWR.

My 1,200# Reese WD hitch and Dual cam. Yes I have one, actually the spare hitch has a brand new DC cam kit, snap up and hitch head. Only the WD bars a used some. When I bought my new camper I moved the old one from the T2499 to the T310SR and then later ordered a new one. Well the T2499 got the new one and the T310SR is still using the old one but with new WD bars. I am selling the T2499 and the hitch would be thrown in the deal if the new buyer needed it. Sort of a bonus. If they already have their own then I would sell or keep the hitch by it self. So sorry right now the new/old hitch is not for sale. But if you want a spare T2499 buy it and I throw in the hitch for free…. Just joking unless you really want the TT.

If the receiver does not fit, Steve may have the most practical deal in your time crunch, buy a new receiver and a used hitch. If you have to buy a new receiver, try to get the largest 2” rating you can. If some day you find your tongue weight above 1,200, the receiver is already there.

Here is the Reese 41904 Ultra frame 1,200WD , 12,00 pull $315
http://www.etrailer.com/p-41904.htm

And the instructions. It seems this one fits a angled frame. Mine is straight. Also to note the this is a 8 foot box or a 6 foot extended cab only. Don’t know what bed/cab you have. And there is something about a different one if you have a large step bumper.
http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=41904

And here is the standard Reese receiver, still suppose to be 1,200#WD and 12,000# but I would check before ordering. $201

http://www.etrailer.com/p-36025.htm

In these instructions they show using a spacer, this might be to deal with the angled frame.
http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=36025

And here is the big one. The Titan. This will hold what ever your truck can. 1,700# WD and 14,000# pull I also see it as the angled frame. $394 This is a 2 1/2” receiver

http://www.etrailer.com/p-45002.htm

http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=45002

Curt also makes good receivers, I have not check on their prices.

Putnam makes an XDR that was rated at 1,600# WD still in a 2” shank. This is suppose to be a class 5 but can’t really tell. If you order, need to call. http://www.putnamhitch.com/25000_pdf...structions.pdf from the instructions.

A 25122 was suppose to be 16,000 pull rating http://zooserver2.zooropa.com:8181/P...+AND+SHORT+BED

Here is the Putnam 25122 for $163 http://www.brucesspeed.com/putnam72-...vreceiver.aspx I never bought from them, was just a hit on the web. I did have a Putnam XDR on the 2500 Suburban and liked it. However Southwest Wheel does not seem to carry them any more and they seem harder to find now a days for some reason. I do not know if they had any business stop or what. But the wed site says new catalogs are due out in July.

In case your looking, A new 1,200# Reese Trunnion Straight line. $524 plus tow ball and shank so you know what you are up against.
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-wdsl~66074.htm

Etrailer, I have bought from many times and had good experiences.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Ps. One freindly heads up, while used is just fine if it is in good shape, make sure all hitch parts are rated to hanlde the load. That is a big TT and a powerfull truck. If you do not see the numbers stamped on it or on a sticker, do not assume it is OK.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Thanks for all the wonderful and detailed information! I've been told, that the 2005 receiver will not fit the 1993 frame. I've been out of town all day, so I have not yet had a chance to measure.

BTW: My truck is the 1993 F250HD with the 7.3 Pre-Powerstroke diesel. Extended cab and long bed.

I may have found a new Curt C15510s class 5, that is rated for 1,600# WD tongue weight and 16,000 WD GTW and still has the 2" receiver. I found it at hitchesonline.com, for $169.00.

If I can swing it and they have one, I will have it picked up tomorrow.

That still leaves me, with no draw bar, or snap up bracket and ball... I'll see what I can do. Work is just going to get in the way ALL week!

Gary

Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #9

SUN #89
Gary

Good, you are on the right track. That Curt should do you well and give you some room to move up on the future if you need it.

http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...1580F7CF30.pdf

Another heads up, if you end up buying a new hitch shank, even with a used hitch as the shank is dependent on truck and TT height, Reese now makes them in 2" rated up to 1,500# WD. While you may not need it today, it does not cost any more then getting a 1,200# rated one. Just in the future if you have to upsize, then the shank is not rated enough if it is only rated 1,200#.

See page 11 of the Reese PDF for the new shanks. http://www.towingproducts.com/catalogpdf-r/6-wd.pdf

Yes, I belive the 2005 super duty reciever will not fit your older one. When I started seeing the instructions with the shims/angled frame in the long direction of the truck that was only in one direction not including left to right. The 2005's and newer are straight framed

Good luck hitch hunting.

John