Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

SUN #1890
Mrsrogers is an unknown quantity at this point
Will a Sunline be the "one"

Hi, we are a seasoned camping family! We started with a homemade trailer, then to an 80s Winnebago (in 1999}, then to a class A Brave, which we traded for a new 32 foot Cougar 5th wheel, that my husband hated towing. That was traded for a Lance 1181slide in that killed our one-ton duelly. We then decided to simplify our lives and sold everything we owned including our business to become debt free. We bought a 1992 Minnie Winnie, and sold it recently to get a tag along. I was tired of maintaining another motor and registration. Im looking for a Sunline Saturn now, and hoping that it will work well for our family of 3 + 2 dogs! We are weekend campers, but will be traveling cross country hopefully in june! I think the 16 footer would be a nice size to tow! Any thoughts on it would be great!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #2

SUN #1890
huh. 11 Views and no replies about Sunline Campers...interesting...

Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hello and welcome to SOC!

This time of year, there is not much posting going on. I haven't towed a smaller TT very much, but did pull our 24', 32' and now our 33' Sunline fifth wheel. We also bought a 17-1/2' Sunline, but only towed it once. The one time I did tow it, our F350 hardly knew it was even there!

Sunline was always very good, about weight distribution in their TTs. You will find that towing a 16' Sunline, will not be as bad as your previous experiences. I would highly recommend checking the running gear on any TT purchase. TT tires have a life expectancy of 5 years. If the tires on the Saturn are near that age, or older, You should invest in new tires.

Also, I would recommend that you check the trailer brakes for proper operation and adjustment. Wheel bearings are also high on the list, of things to check.

If you need any other info, please feel free to ask. 11 views of the post, may not have been by the regular posters/gurus here.. I've never had a question go un-answered.. This is a very helpful bunch!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
What are you planning to use for a tow vehicle?

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mrsrogers and welcome to the group.

I towed a 1986 T-1661 for 14 years. It was my mom & I and our 2 dogs. The size worked for us as we only had a GMC S-15 Jimmy or 1991 Ford Explorer as our choice for tow vehicles.

But, it was not a size that I would want to have had anymore bodies in. Mom & I learned how to function in it, but you do have to deal with "very" limited space to move about in. Usually one of us had to sit so the other could be walking about. Don't get me wrong, it was a great little trailer, mom & I did MANY cross country trips in it for years, but then we decided it was time for us to have more space. From my past experience, I personally would maybe consider a 1950, but I think a 2363 would be more comfortable for 3 people & 2 pups. Especially on rainy days.

As for purchasing a Sunline, it will be one one of the best trailers you can purchase, provided it has been "properly" maintained. If you find one that you like, make sure you inspect it VERY well, open EVERY cabinet, "sniff" for any odors, feel as much of the interior side walls & flooring to check for soft spots, look for any signs of "staining" on the ceiling or walls, look at the woodwork,paneling for any signs of "buckling". Ask to use or take your own ladder to inspect the roof. Ask that the seller have the trailer connected to electricity so you can check the air conditioner, see that the fridge is cold (you know how long it takes them to get cold) so plugging trailer in in advance IS neccessary). Check the condtition of the tires, and the date
codes on them. If near to or more than 5 years old, they NEED replacing.
See if owner can have the water supply connected so you can check for leaks, and see if water heater is working.

I'm sure the guys will be along to add to what I have suggested.

Good luck in your search/decision.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mrsrogers....I have to agree with Kitty about the size....Leo and I started in a 1950 and upgraded to a 2499....reason....location of the bed and space....brought our then 14 y/o grandson on vacation with us one summer and the extra room "vanished".....

Steve had a question, and that is what are you using for a tow vehicle? That will make a difference as to what you CAN tow...

Also you are talking cross country - just seeing our beautiful USA or working along the way or something else????

Tell us more of what you are thinking about doing and I'm sure you'll get more input! How large or small our your dogs? There is a huge difference in a tiny pup and a tiny horse LOL.....
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
Back in the '80s we had a 1650 (the one with bunks) that we had 2 adults and 2 little kids in. At the time we were only weekend campers and loved it. We only went camping if the weather was going to be good, so basically only slept in it. The kids loved the bunks! But then along came kid #3 and that was the end of that - we had to trade up to a 24' with 2 sets of bunks. We loved our little 16 footer. More recently we had the 17' QUE for the 2 of us and the dog. The longest we went out in it was 2 1/2 weeks and we did fine. The only reason we got rid of it is that I got tired of making the sofa into a bed every night. I often wonder if we had purchased a small trailer like the 1661 where we could have left the sofa as a bed and still had the table to sit on if we'd still have a small trailer. Sometimes I miss the advantages of small.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Mrs Rogers

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club.

While you mentioned a Saturn have you seen one your looking at buying already? Only reason asking is if there is a particular layout you like tell us the model number and year you where thinking of.

Sunline repeated similar versions of their floor plans as the models/years went by. We may be able to help you hone in on some other years/models that have the same types of features that can broaden your search basis.

You mentioned a 16 footer for 3 of you and 2 dogs. I know we have couple here on the forum who have 2 medium sized dogs and an adult couple in a 92 T1661 Saturn (a 16' 10" long) and they go all over. It works for them and they are very happy with their little Sunline.

Being inside their camper for a tour they converted the couch to a full time bed. I think they took the table out as I do not recall seeing it. It is for sure filled when they all get in there. Adding a 3rd person, maybe if you have very small pets and your 3rd person is small as well. You did not mention if they where toddler sized or a 16 year energetic teen. Each of us camp different.

What type of tow vehicle would you be using and what states out west? The tow vehicle and the places you go may put be part of the decision on how big it can tow. The little single axle 16 footers are light and easy to tow but come with the size trade offs.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

SUN #597
henryj
Hi Mrsrogers,
My only experience with 16 ft. is a popup. The last one was an Aliner which does not have any pull out bunks. For myself 2 adults was plenty, but still comfortable in that space. You've had a truck camper so should know if you can live in 16 ft. However, in some ways a truck camper has more space because the over the cab bed is "free space." In a 16 ft. trailer all of you plus dogs will be living in a pretty small floor area where no one can get away from the crowd and there is no bed, just a dinette. How tall are you for not sleeping in a full size bed with a real mattress?

We've owned just 2 trailers in the last 10 years and the 2499 suits us perfectly and may well be our last. You've been all over the size spectrum which indicates you haven't been buying rigs that suit your lifestyle. What did you not like about the Cougar? Even a 5th wheel, at 32 ft. is a lot of trailer to get into and out of gas stations and campsites. A 5th wheel does tow a little nicer than a travel trailer, but you do have to be more careful around the corners and it does come with a lot of height. Keep in mind though, all of a 16 ft travel trailer is behind the truck whereas a 5th wheel has at least 6-8 ft of its length in front of the body of a travel trailer.

Click on the "Files" tab at the top of this page and then scroll down to Sunline Brochures and download the years you're interested in. This will give you an idea of floor plans in various lengths. Personally I'd look at the 1950 too. It's 4 ft longer, but if you're uncomfortable towing that length... I'm not sure you'll find 16 ft more relaxing.

I've always thought we are a friendly and helpful bunch, and hope your initial impression doesn't deter from you enjoyment of SOC. Your first post was at 11:36 pm, the second at 7:38 am. I can assure you that I was sound asleep that entire time and did not even turn on my computer until about 3 pm. SOC is not a large forum. There probably are several hundred who somewhat regularly read posts, but I'm guessing well under 100 who regularly respond to others' posts. Even a member who quickly checked for new posts before going to bed might not take the time to respond right then. SOC is also frequently read by non-members who cannot post, but... I believe... are counted in the views.

You have a good batch of responses here now, less than 24 hr after your initial post. That actually is a great response. I hope some of this information is helpful in reaching a decision. Obviously you enjoy camping and I hope you find a suitable rig to keep on camping.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #10

SUN #1890
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! What a warm welcome! I appreciate the comments and posts, I didn't want to divulge where my sunline was because I was afraid someone would buy it before I got there! It was priced way lower than it should have been, but We purchased it yesterday, and drove it home! I was thinking as I was towing it home what people must be thinking of me towing a camper NORTH into the mountains of Maine in February~But We arrived home with only one problem, and I am extremly happy with the camper. It is a 1988 Sunline Saturn I believe it is the 1550, with a dinette on one end, and a couch on the other, with overhead bunks on both sides. I will get the VIN etc off it today and add it with pictures to the registry, It is completly original down to the big huge Metal Antennae on the roof! And it's in Near Perfect Condition, I even got the Original Manuals, (Binder and Book) and The original Sales brochure. I know people are dying to get their hands on manuals, so my next free sunday, I'll scan it in and upload it! The only issue we had was the lights, they stopped working when it was just getting dark of course, for some reason everytime I put the brakes on both blinkers blinked...but they worked when we left so I'm sure it is just a short somewhere, I am estatic overall, and can not believe how much room there is in this little 16 footer! The floorplan is better than any other trailer we've owned except the 32 foot cougar...but that's like comparing apples to avacados! My husband recognized the logo but couldn't place it until we got home, his Grandparents used to cross country in the 13' Sunline back in the day! So I guess it was meant to be!! We're looking forward to sharing our adventures within the Sunline Community!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #11

SUN #1890
Oh, and I'm pulling it with a Tahoe or a dodge ram, it didnt even change my gas mileage! Amazing!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new coach!

New campers are always good times.

Happy Camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #13

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats Mrs. Rogers! You must have swapped it up so fast that I never even saw it for sale! Was it on Craigslist?

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #14

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your new to you Sunny! Enjoy your times in it!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #15

SUN #1890
Jon I did sweep it up quickly!! lol, I have a program on my phone that updates craigslist on whatever you're searching for the second it hits craigslist. So I had a 5 state search for campers, and this one came up while I was shopping at best buy! lol I called him immediatly, and went down and picked it up the next day...He told me his phone rang off the hook all day, and most of the people were local. I drove 4 hours. So I am blessed, and thankful that he held it for me!