Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #1

SUN #168
wobbly
Sunline Owners To Be

We just put a deposit on a new T-1950 via the Web. There are a few still available at good prices. We will store it at the dealer's lot until things thaw out. Then we'll do some touring.
This will be our first trailer. We've had campers in the past, and a Vixen motorhome.

You folks on the forum are good salesmen!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your 1950 as much as we enjoy ours!
If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask....someone will always have an answer!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #3

SUN #168
wobbly
Thanks for the welcome. I do have a question about the spare tire option.
Is this a Sunline only item, or can I buy the equivalent components from an RV supply? We purchased the trailer over the net, and haven't seen the Sunline in person. We will also be installing an electric tongue jack ourselves. The dealer wanted another $400 for these two options. Perhaps, I should just pay them the extra and be done with it.

Wobbly
Portland, Oregon
Old 01-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Morning Wobbly,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sunline ownership. Factory closed or not, you HAVE purchased one of the best trailers made. I don't think the dealer is robbing you with the price he quoted for the spare & power jack. The jack alone is worth 200 or more, and then to have the dealer install a spare tire and tire carrier on the rear bumper really sounds reasonable to me. I just pulled my invoice, and I "DID" get a great price on my custom 2499 and my spare tire kit cost $225. SO his pricing sounds very reasonable.

Welcome to the group
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #5

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
Good Morning Wobbly,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sunline ownership. Factory closed or not, you HAVE purchased one of the best trailers made. I don't think the dealer is robbing you with the price he quoted for the spare & power jack. The jack alone is worth 200 or more, and then to have the dealer install a spare tire and tire carrier on the rear bumper really sounds reasonable to me. I just pulled my invoice, and I "DID" get a great price on my custom 2499 and my spare tire kit cost $225. SO his pricing sounds very reasonable.

Welcome to the group
Against my frugal instincts, which usually lead to marital discord and mangled fingers, I succumbed, and added these options. Any other suggestions for equipment?

Thanks,
Wobbly
Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #6

SUN #93
W/D hitch
Brake controller.
Max air vents.
small bathroom size waste basket to put over the head of the elec. jack.

Justa few things that popped into this feeble mind!

However the list could go on forever....wheel chucks, outdoor rug, BBQ, flat pcs of wood for levelers, step rug and on and on and on!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 01-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #7

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
W/D hitch
Brake controller.
Max air vents.
small bathroom size waste basket to put over the head of the elec. jack.

Justa few things that popped into this feeble mind!

However the list could go on forever....wheel chucks, outdoor rug, BBQ, flat pcs of wood for levelers, step rug and on and on and on!!!!!
Thanks for the hints. I'm leaning toward the Reese Strait-Line hitch/sway combo and the Jason brake controller. Now the more critical question is whether to spring for the Rubbermaid waste basket, or to try to squeek by with a no-name generic

Now on the MaxxAir, they are running a door buster sale on them at Ebay Express: "This Special Package Deal Includes 2 Translucent Maxxair Vent Covers w/Hardware and a 4 Pack of RV Toilet Tissue!" However, when I read the fine print, there's nothing about the ply rating! Glad I didn't fall for that one.

About the BBQ: is there a LP connection for this? Or do you use a grill with its own bottle?

Have you ever weighed the 1950 and checked the the tongue load when you are loaded up? I'm concerned that I might have to add helium to the tires.

Cheers,

Wobbly
Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #8

SUN #115
emam
Make sure if you buy the hitch/sway bar controller, it's one of the models you can back up with. The dealer almost had me talked into purchasing one of those models, and when I asked what the differences were between this and the next model up was, he said, "Oh, that one will allow you to back up with it still attached"

Can you imagine having to get out and undo your hitch everytime you back up?!!?! I'd go crazy!!

I'd have the dealer put the Max-Air vents on also. This way you have a warranty if anything ever goes wrong. Add an extra battery or two or make the upgrade and install a solar panel to keep them charged.

Norcold 10 cubic foot refrige, trailer hitch on the coach, lift kit...e.t.c The list could go on for days. I'd make a list of what kind of camping you're going to do and check off what you'll think you're going to need. Go to your nearest dealer and buy one of the catalogs of after market parts and accessories. After the first few looks of just drooling over everything you want, take those little post-it notes and mark pages with items that you think you'll actually need. The first time I did this, I think I went through an entire package of the Post-It notes. Then after a few nights in the coach, I realized most items were just for show and would never be used.

My wife always teases me saying I get my new copy of the RV magazines or the newest catalog and I dont even open the new issue of Playboy that comes at the same time. I'd rather look at some cool accessories than some women anyway. I must be getting old if that just came out of my mouth!!!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #9

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Wobbly,

I’m not familiar with a Jason brake controller, is it a time based controller or proportional brake controller? A proportional brake controller is must better then a time based controller.

As eman mentioned above, if your hitch include a friction sway control bar (i.e., one that couples to a small ball on Trailers A-Frame and Hitch), I would strongly recommend you remove it before you back up. Otherwise you risk damaging it when you back up if your angle gets too severe. I have a Hensley hitch, which isn’t cheap (2x the cost of W/D hitch), but everything is connected and stays connected. Don’t have to worry about removing anything when backing up or trying to find a place to put the W/D bars when unhitched. Plus it eliminates all sway. To me it’s worth every penny I spent for it.

You were smart getting the spare tire and power jack. You’ll really appreciate the power jack.

Also, get a Camping World master catalog, you’ll get a lot of ideas from it. I keep finding things in their catalog that I never knew I needed.

Since this isn’t your first camper, I’m sure you know all the basic stuff needed, like long sewer and water hoses, etc.

I carry a spray bottle of water/bleach mixture – use it to spray water connections and hoses to kill any bacteria.
I also carry a plug in circuit tester to test campground power to make sure it’s wired up correctly.

Enjoy your new camper and welcome to the Sunline family.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #10

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Wobbly,

I’m not familiar with a Jason brake controller, is it a time based controller or proportional brake controller? A proportional brake controller is must better then a time based controller.

Hutch
Hi Hutch,

I meant the "Jordan", which is a proportional type using a cable from the brake pedal to the controller. . Another proportional one is actuated by pressure on the brake pedal pad. That looks more vulnerable than the the Jordan . Then there's the one that senses hydraulic pressure in the brake lines. The Prodigy uses an accelerometer, I believe.

I think the Hensley is more like 5 or 6 times what a Reese Strait-Line
W/D hitch-dual cam combo runs ($480 at Camping World). I am rather paranoid, but having had a $10 hitch ball stolen off my pickup while fishing, I'd probably sweat leaving a $3000 hitch unattended. Of course, if a thief felt comfortable enough to remove the hitch, he/she would probably just take the entire rig. See, I told you I was a bit paranoid.
There's probably never been a recorded instance of a purloined Hensley.

Thanks for the hints!

Wobbly
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #11

SUN #151
campin'dude
Welcome to the Sunline family! We are new members ourselves by having just purchased an '07 T-276SR via the Internet as well. I have been busy getting the things together I need to get our trailer ready when camping season starts in late March.
As others have said, get some Maxxair vent covers... I saw the ones you mentioned on ebay but the shipping charges killed the deal. The best price I have found is from Camping World... the translucent white is $22.50 ea and the shell white (kind of like a light ivory color) is on special right now for $17.50. I prefer the translucent white myself so that's what I got.
Also, you should consider a Quickie Flush or Tornado black tank rinsing system. Then, you can hook up a water hose and flush the black tank clean after you dump.
Also, I have realized that the trailers have a queen bed that is 5" shorter than a standard queen. So, you may want to consider at least a properly fitted mattress pad ($40 at C World).
I already have all of the hookups and leveling equipment from our old trailer and we still managed to spend $270 at the Camping World store on Saturday and still haven't gotten everything we need.
Sometimes when I look at what RVing costs, I want to go back to our old tent...
Oh well, it's all in the name of fun...

The best of luck to you with your new trailer!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by campin'dude
Sometimes when I look at what RVing costs, I want to go back to our old tent...
Oh well, it's all in the name of fun...
There is a lot of truth in that statement.... Coming from the backpacking world with 50# on my back and completely happy for 10 days in the back country except food pickup, I was in camping heaven. Had everything I needed.

Then came the Pop up. No more sleeping on the ground and DW now wants to come along? Well, only had 2,700# of stuff then and was in camping heaven. Had everything I needed.

Now have the TT. Well only have 6,500# of stuff including the kitchen sink. and now really in camping heaven. And now have everything I needed.

When you are in the backpacking world they have a gizmo for almost everything. Always something lighter and lighter always means more $$$.

In the TV world, the amounts of gizmos are endless....

Don't know about you but, the first time you move up into a TT it takes about a year to stop adding, changing, rearranging the "stuff". And we all have our "stuff". In year 2, it slows done some and by about year 3, well I guess I really didn't need all of that "stuff" and you start taking some out...

But, we would not have it any other way, other than should of started sooner.

Happy camping in what you camp with.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #13

SUN #89
Woobly

I have the Jordan brake controller. A very good unit. Once set, you leave it alone and it is truly proportional. I had a timed based one on my Pop Up. Drove me nuts in the camp ground at slow speed. At slow speeds, it would over brake to be set right at highway speeds. The Jordan, it all goes away.

On the Reese Dual cam, they are a good unit and will do well for you as part of your anti sway setup. If you need any help with it, let me know. I have pic's of about every angle there is on one of the HP style units and a fair amount of data on them.

Happy camping in that new camper.

John

Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #14

SUN #115
emam
One thing you might want to consider as Campin' Dude said, the mattress is a few inches shorter. I was able to unscrew the headboard, raise it up above the mattress and add a few inches back for room space.

The DW and I put our regular mattress in the coach because she's a little taller than I and her feet hung off the stock mattress.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #15

SUN #168
wobbly
Thanks for all the information, Kathy& Leo, KanyonKitty,
Emam, JohnB, Hutch, and Campin'Dude!

One embarrasing thing about buying the Sunline, is that our neighbor is
a RV trailer salesman. He will naturally be a bit miffed that we didn't buy from his company. Sunlines aren't sold out here, though. We're not intentionally snubbing him. He's a pleasant fellow. It's just that we prefer to make our decisions without any pressure, subtle, or otherwise.

Wobbly
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #16

SUN #93
Hi Wobbly!

Our 1950 came with the propane connection and the BBQ which hangs on the side of the TT - by the bedroom window!

DON'T FORGET TO CLOSE THE BEDROOM WINDOW - it is the one thing we make sure happens each time we cook - otherwise the smell goes into the TT!

We have not had the opportunity to weigh our TT/TV yet....but hopefully I can convinence DH to do it this year.

I'm still having a hard time with putting on the sway bar - we bought it and it sits in his garage - he feels that it is not needed - I on the other hand do. One of our 1st trips out we had a terrible sway problem - thought we were going to flip the TT. We were on NYS Thruway and took up all 3 lanes to get it under control......thank God for the brake controller.

One of the many mods we made was to mount the water pump on THICK carpet and then cover all the lines with insulating foam - you know that stuff that looks like a sponge pipe!

We also use two "shower size" spring type shower rods in the bathroom - one goes from side to side - in the shower area and the other goes from rear shower wall to window valance - it makes a great towel rack - and the towels dry - not like on the door! We lower them and use them as a brace along the bottom of the shower area when we travel, that is where we put the TV & DVD player....one in front and one in back and nothing moves!

In the shirt closet by the bed and the two closets over the bed - we put in shelves - much easier to find folded clothes! We left the closet by the bathroom sink, as is - use it for jackets and "hanging" clothes.

One of our biggest "can't figure outs" is where to mount the toilet paper holder.....we are thinking of getting a standing one and just leaving it in there when we are campped and lying it down for travel.

Well gonna close now - its almost noon - the stomach is calling for food and I think the temps actually went to 0 - so I need to head out and do some errands! THINK SPRING EVERYONE it s way too cold up here!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #17

SUN #91
jakeyny
Congratulations on the new Sunline. I love the 1950's, compact size and functional layout. I don't think you need to be concerned about the tongue weight on the 1950, it's lighter than most. I tow with a Ram 1500 and the hitch doesn't drop much at all. The WD bars bring it to level very easily.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #18

SUN #89
Wobbly

If your neighbor knows the Sunline brand, then they know the quality it stands for. And what he sells may not be up to that level.

I know when I was looking for my TT, the dealer asked me if I had looked anywhere else and what I was looking at and for. When I mentioned I was looking at Sunlines, they knew the brand even thought they did not sell them. They then knew I was not looking for their low cost TT’s and they pointed me to the highest end models they offered. I still remember the one dealer, she said, well if you are looking for that level of quality these campers are not in that area. She was honest and did not try to lead me on. While I did not buy from that dealer, I did respect them a lot.

If your neighbor is a good friend, he will not be miffed. He may want to come over and see it though. I know I would.

Happy Camping

Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #19

SUN #115
emam
Dont worry too much about the sway bars. We dont even hook ours up if we're just moving a few miles. If we're going to be towing a few hours then we hook up, but arond town I wouldnt go through the hassle.

If someone is going to steal it, they're going to steal the entire rig and that's why you have insurance. The way I look at it is if you're going to be camping and worry about someone stealing anything, do you really want to be camping there? For the most part, everyone is a fellow camper and is going to watch out for one another.

Being paranoid just ruins the fun of the camping experiance and will stress you out the entire trip. After our first few thousand miles with the kayaks on the roof, the motorcycle on a hitch mounted carrier on the back of our 2499, the DW and I finally said, "If we lose it, we have insurance, there is no need to sit looking in the mirrors worrying the whole time"

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.lowkeyhideaway.com