Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

SUN #10737
patthemom is an unknown quantity at this point
researching my first camper

Hey Ya'll,
I'm ready to hit the road but for now, I am limited to weekend and month long vacation trips. A friend who repairs RVs and trailers recommends Sunline so I thought I'd jump on your forum to get the lowdown on the trailers and learn as much as possible. I'd like to purchase something before next summer. I'm on the hunt for a model that's comfy for me, my 6lb Yorkie and 6 foot husband. My grown kids will join us on occasion and I'd like to be able to get up, make coffee and head outdoors without climbing over them as they sleep. Potential to go boon docking would be great. We don't want to go over 7000 GVW.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Glad you found us. This is the place for Sunline info.... Any and all questions welcomed. And there are no dumb questions, just ones you need help with.

On your search for the perfect Sunline, they made a lot of them in many sizes. We have a "FILES" section at the top of the forum.

See here

When logged in, click the FILES tab and then go to "Sunline Brochures". There is a full collection of almost all of them back to the early days. You can look through them for floor plans and then model years and model numbers. Some models ran many years others upgraded within the same model and some only lasted a few years and were discontinued.

There are good number of campers to pick from at or under the 7,000# GVWR. Find the ones you like then start a search for those models.

You mentioned climb over, some floor plans have a walk around bed or island bed while others have a corner bed which one of the 2 folks sleeping has to go over the top or out the end of the bed. Personal choice on the main bed which you want.

If you are thinking of having "a few" full grown adults along as extra guests, meaning 4 adults total in a camper, that is doable in some floor plans. But not all. The dinettes that folds down into a bed sleep fairly well for one adult. Then there is a jack knife sofa, while it folds down into a bed, I have found for me, I cannot sleep overnight in it. I can the dinette without any trouble but not the jack knife sofa. Bad back and I wake up feeling really bad if I try. But our Grandkids have no issues with it.

Some floor plans have bunks. Many of them work well for small or teenage children. Some of the larger campers an adult may work out OK. However that might be over the 7,000# GVWR limit.

Maybe a tent for when guests come for sleeping? That will allow you to have more choices in finding a camper.

Once you find a few models and years, create a wanted post and let us know what you are looking for. We try and help look with you too.

Another reality. Since you have a friend who repairs campers, when you find one you really like and after it meets your wants, ask them to go look at it and inspect it for you. Any brand used camper can have a water infection in it. And you cannot always see it or smell it inside the camper. And the owner may not have any idea the camper is wet inside. See this post to help on how to inspect a camper for a water infection before you buy it. Just because it has some damage does not mean to not buy it, but it can help with lowering the price. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you looking for your perfect Sunline!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Pat! This could be a little tricky to keep under 7000 GVW, but I'm very happy to see that you've realized that weight as your cap. Most people look at dry weights and "try to make it work", which is the wrong way to approach it.

Ideally for two grown kids, you may want to consider something with both a couch and dinette. Like John, I had a hard time sleeping on the couch, and also the dinette for that matter. I put an air mattress on top either way, and it was by far better on the dinette. Also, some Sunline models have 66" long couches, while others have 72", it just depends on the floorplan. So if you have two tall people, one on a 66" could be tight. After adding room for a pillow, I found it to be.

To keep it under 7000, you're looking at mainly non-slide trailers, although some low profile slide rooms would work.

In addition to the weight cap, do you have an age limit? Sunline's floorplan choices were much more limited in later years. If you are willing to go back to the mid/late '90s or even 2000, you have a lot more options.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

Welcome to SOC! Six years ago when we were researching buying our first camper, we “stumbled” onto Sunline and have never looked back. We’ve yet to see a new camper which compares, quality-wise, to our 2363! This website was invaluable to us in our research, and one of the members here (Janalee) actually gave us the lead for the Sunline we bought. The people on SOC have been so helpful in making our camping experiences enjoyable!

Certainly, while you’re researching, go to “Forums” and read some of the threads, especially those which discuss trailer weight and towing. For my husband and me, being able to tow “comfortably” has been paramount to making camping fun. We love our 2363 and, if you had stopped at the 6’ husband and 6 lb. Yorkie, I’d say “Get a 2363!” They’re a great “couple’s” trailer but not big enough for what you need.

Good luck in your Sunline search!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

SUN #8834
jorick is an unknown quantity at this point
There are a number of Sunlines less than 7000 pounds. I used to own an 18 footer which weighed in at 3990 and I currently own a 25 footer that weighs in at 4800. A 16 to 18 footer should be pretty comfortable for your husband and dog, and shouldn't strain a decent SUV or truck. I towed my 18 footer with a Subaru wagon.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

SUN #9777
Tkch88 is an unknown quantity at this point
We’ve had a 2470 since 2001 and love it. We bought it when our 2 sons were 8 and 10.it has 2 bunks, an Island queen, and a dinette. GVWR is only 5500 pounds, and dry is just under 4000. Being a Sunline, it’s held up extremely well. That why we keep it, even though the boys have moved on. You could likely find one for around $3-4000. We now tow it with a 2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good luck! I’m typing this response from inside it right now on a rainy Connecticut Saturday.