Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

SUN #8121
Gliden07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Prespective Sunline Owner

Hello everyone! Joined this forum to get acquainted with a 2000 Sunline T2653 my Girlfriend and I were thinking of buying. We have never owned a travel trailer before nor have we been camping in years. We started to look last October. We went out last week and found this trailer. To be honest I wanted a newer one with a slide but this trailer is spotless! I was wondering if any of you in the know could point out any real problems this trailer may have? A few details 2 year old tires (all 4), power tongue jack, new awning, screen room, very clean non smoking trailer, dealer tells us everything works, cost $4500.00 before any negotiations. Is this a good price? We look forward to hearing from owners of these trailers and look forward to contributing to the forum once we "Commit" to the purchase.

Thank you in advance!!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

SUN #246
Janalee
Gliden07-Welcome to the club! I have owned several sunlines...greatest trailers there are! And...I owned two of the 2653 models..never a problem with any of my campers! Just love to buy and enjoy and then get a different one to enjoy!! Solaris 2653's were my favorites! Check everything out yourself..not the dealers word..look carefully for any leaks (stains,soft spots on walls or floors,especially in cupboards and corners. Roll out the awning and check it out well. If you are paying full price then ask to have the roof inspected and sealed,full propane tanks,new deep cycle battery,step carpet,towing equipment(?),or anything else you can sweeten your deal with. Check the age on the tire sidewalls-6yrs is the magic cutoff for replacement time. Make sure they give you a spare! And another item would be crank down stabilizer jacks! See if he will supply them if they aren't on it-they are an almost necessary item to keep your unit steady when someone is walking around or stepping out the door...you WILL want those,trust me. Hope this will help get you started...oh,price? You may talk him down to $4000,but don't lose a good trailer over $500.00! Get those extras and you have a good deal...(a 2003 2363 just sold near me for $4900)...Have fun! Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

SUN #8121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Gliden07-Welcome to the club! I have owned several sunlines...greatest trailers there are! And...I owned two of the 2653 models..never a problem with any of my campers! Just love to buy and enjoy and then get a different one to enjoy!! Solaris 2653's were my favorites! Check everything out yourself..not the dealers word..look carefully for any leaks (stains,soft spots on walls or floors,especially in cupboards and corners. Roll out the awning and check it out well. If you are paying full price then ask to have the roof inspected and sealed,full propane tanks,new deep cycle battery,step carpet,towing equipment(?),or anything else you can sweeten your deal with. Check the age on the tire sidewalls-6yrs is the magic cutoff for replacement time. Make sure they give you a spare! And another item would be crank down stabilizer jacks! See if he will supply them if they aren't on it-they are an almost necessary item to keep your unit steady when someone is walking around or stepping out the door...you WILL want those,trust me. Hope this will help get you started...oh,price? You may talk him down to $4000,but don't lose a good trailer over $500.00! Get those extras and you have a good deal...(a 2003 2363 just sold near me for $4900)...Have fun! Janalee

Thanks Janalee!! Good info, I planned on trying to get the Weight distribution hitch from him for the $4500. Are there any areas on the roof that are more likely to fail than others? I have been cruzing this site and it seems the only real "WEAK" area for these RV's is the roof?? I do really like the layout of this camper. It seems more open than some of the ones we looked at with slides too!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

SUN #246
Janalee
Gliden07...the "weak" areas are any seams,areas around roof vents,ac,fridge and sewer vents..also check around the outside lights for cracked or missing sealant. Your roof is a rubber type membrane..don't use silicone sealant EVER on the roof..Dicor is the sealant for your type roof. You only seal around those problem areas...not the whole roof! Silicone can be used on the lower areas...I am sure someone will be along soon and add their suggestions! Janalee p.s.Sunlines sell quickly!
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

SUN #8168
chubbybunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey!

I've been a camper for years. Started with tent camping. It didn't take me too long to realize that, that wasn't for me. I bought my 1st pop-up. It was an 89 coleman. It was super tiny! It had 1 slide out, and a table with 2 benches. That was it! But, most importantly, you could A, stand up straight in it, B, you didn't sleep on the ground, and C, it had a door! My next pop-up was a 94 StarCraft. It was definitely bigger, as it had a sink, stove, and 2 slide outs. Last year, we got an honest to goodness travel trailer. Although a hybrid, it was fully self contained. We sold it September 2015, because we thought we were moving. We ended up not moving. I've been looking for a used camper for a couple weeks now, and happened across an 85 15'sb. I (for whatever reason) turned it down. I've been kicking myself ever since! I started thinking about how perfectly cozy it would be for just my wife and I. Now, I cant stop dreaming about owning one! Something under 18'. There was one sitting in a driveway up the street from me. Stopped to talk to the owner today. It wasn't for sale. Oh well. I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll get lucky.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

SUN #8121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
I've been a camper for years. Started with tent camping. It didn't take me too long to realize that, that wasn't for me. I bought my 1st pop-up. It was an 89 coleman. It was super tiny! It had 1 slide out, and a table with 2 benches. That was it! But, most importantly, you could A, stand up straight in it, B, you didn't sleep on the ground, and C, it had a door! My next pop-up was a 94 StarCraft. It was definitely bigger, as it had a sink, stove, and 2 slide outs. Last year, we got an honest to goodness travel trailer. Although a hybrid, it was fully self contained. We sold it September 2015, because we thought we were moving. We ended up not moving. I've been looking for a used camper for a couple weeks now, and happened across an 85 15'sb. I (for whatever reason) turned it down. I've been kicking myself ever since! I started thinking about how perfectly cozy it would be for just my wife and I. Now, I cant stop dreaming about owning one! Something under 18'. There was one sitting in a driveway up the street from me. Stopped to talk to the owner today. It wasn't for sale. Oh well. I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll get lucky.
My GF did end up buying the trailer. Glad we did. Looking forward to getting out now!