Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

SUN #9212
Sncej20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Official First-Time Saturn Sunline Owner!

I hope it is ok that I made another introductory post. If there is somewhere else that I should add it to, please let me know.

So today my wife, dog and I went to (hopefully) purchase our first Sunline. We showed up in a borrowed Dodge Dakota 4x4 regular cab since her rav4's towing capacity is a measly 1500 lbs. Yes, all three of us were crowded in a regular cab pickup truck. It was wonderful. I was skeptical from the beginning of the day being that I had never towed anything on the road or highway before. I was also concerned of the height difference. As most of you know, the 1350's hitch height is very low at 17". Well, the Dakota is tall as it is and I'm also pretty sure the leaf springs or shocks are adjusted to be much stiffer/higher than oem. After putting 3 planks of wood underneath the jack, we lowered the trailer onto the hitch and the spare tire on the back was approximately 2" off the ground. The height would not budge. The trailer looked like an aircraft taking off on a runway. Brian ( the owner's boyfriend) and I circled around looking it over and we both decided it was not a good idea to tow it like this. I know, you're all probably thinking (WELL DUH). First timer here folks! To add to it, we had what is normally a 1 hour 15 minute drive home at 65-70mph on some crappy wavy highways (78 West for those familiar with PA). Well, I decided against it and got on my phone to look up a local area to rent something to tow the trailer (HERTZ, U-haul, whatever). Wouldn't you know Mel (The owner) and Brian offered to deliver the trailer to our home for us. This was easily a 3 hour round trip for them. We declined more times than I can count but they persisted unlike anyone I've ever met. It was by far one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for my wife and I. So a 1 hour 15 minute drive took us about 2 hours due to driving very conservatively and off the highway the majority of the time but Serendipity is officially home. I'll get to that part in just a moment. After the drive, Brian suggested that we look into installing sway control on the 1350. Being it is winterized and complete dryweight weight right now, I hope that added to the swaying but it was nice of him to suggest it. He could easily have just dropped it off and been like, "oh well it's your problem now!" So yeah Serendipity is officially home. I promise this is the last of my rambling. 11 months ago today, Mel was riding around looking for a trailer to live in. A friend of hers that knew she was looking suggested she go look at Brian's. She did just that and Brian helped her to get it completely livable for her by updating some things. Well, fast forward 11 months and they are now a lovely couple and she never needed a reason to live in the 1350. That is how it got the name Serendipity. I thought someone on here might get a kick out of that. I sure did. I feel like we're off to a really good start with this trailer and I really look forward to using it this year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5917.JPG (149.6 KB, 8 views)

Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
To Steve and his wife,

Congratulations on your new camper! . It has been quite a day.

Glad the deal worked out for you and it sounds like you acquired it from some very good folks! Yes, pick up day can be stressful sometimes, the good emotions of excitement are on an all time high along with the unknown, , what did I get myself into... It somehow all works out OK, but can be trying during the moment.

We all have been in the newbie state before and we all have our unique stories of something that didn't work out just right.... This is where the best campfire stories come from!

Your Sunline adventures now begin! Best of luck to you and ask away with any questions on the camper, towing setup, camping itself or anything else for that matter.

Happy camping this year.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
I love the story of the couple meeting and ending up married. I hope Serendipity brings your family equally good fortune!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the SOC! It's a great place to get your newbie questions answered, as having been newbies too, we know by experience. Looks like you got a nice little trailer - happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote