Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

SUN #6068
dajesters09 is an unknown quantity at this point
"Newbie" camper owners looking for any and all advice

Hello all,
My wife and I are the happy new owners of a 1978 sunline 25' pull behind. I can't find any more details as to model or other info. We have never owned or camped in a travel trailer before and are completely new to this. We do have a Durango as a tow vehicle and it got the camper home just fine, squatted the rear end a bit but I assume that's to be expected. It took us the better part of the evening to get the camper off the hitch due to the jack giving up the ghost. Today was spent figuring out how to open the awning,lol and gutting the living area due to small amount of water damage. My main question is if there is anything you wish someone had told you when you started with a camper please let me know any advice is welcome along with restoration stories you may have . Thanks in advance for your time and assistance,
Dajesters09

Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

SUN #3415
Ham Radio Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dajesters09,

Welcome to the Sunline Club!

If you look at the top of the page where the tabs are, you'll find a tab labeled FILES.
Look 4 or 5 pages in to that section, and you should find some things that should help you identify your "new to you" camper. Sunline Fan is the local historian and he as well as many others should be able to help you.

Again, welcome to the bunch!

Happy camping!

1992 T-2251 - Our first Sunline
2007 T-2553 - Our second Sunline
2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT
Ham Radio Op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Something lots of newbies don't know is to make sure the hot water heater is off before you plug in the trailer for the first time.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dajesters09l, Welcome.

Congrats on your "new" camper.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

SUN #1321
tjalmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome!
I think the first things I learned about was the importance of a decent electric brake controller and a weight distributing hitch. We bought the Equalizer antisway and weight distribution set up, and a Prodigy brake controller. Next was calling a trusted tire and brake center and getting their best man to inspect the magnetic brakes and bearings on the trailer. Your trailers tires should not be more than 5 years old, if you want safety.
When you can tow and stop safely, then start the restoration!
T
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the SOC, dajesters09, and congrats on your '78Sunline. Over a year-and-a-half ago, we bought a Sunline never having had any experience camping, RVing, towing, you name it. We learned a lot - and are still learning - from the great people on this site. We read a lot of the threads here and that really helped answer questions we had, in addition to the ones we asked.

One thing we learned is to write things down, especially when first learning. The PO gave us the complete Sunline manual but we quickly discovered that, while it had a lot of info in it, it did not have a lot of instructions. For example, the first time (or two) we tried to open the awning was a comedy routine. We finally went on-line, watched a video on the correct procedure, wrote it down, and put it in the manual. Until we really got the hang of it, that saved a lot of effort and frustration - and possible damage to the trailer. So, when in doubt, write it out!

Happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

SUN #10530
JVoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes agree with the majority. Brakes, bearings, and tires. If your handy at all, you can accomplish this easily. If you have never done disassembly and reassembly of bearings it would be wise to leave that to the professionals. Spend the money to make this right.