Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

SUN #8946
Preparedness is an unknown quantity at this point
New to the RV/Camper world.

Hello, I recently bought my first Camper. I believe that it is a 1983 sunline T-1550 but I am not sure. The gentlemen I purchased it from have no brochure or owners manual. I am looking for help in identifying the model and where the best places to find parts and accessories for this camper might be. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161005_103137.jpg (66.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20161005_103222.jpg (91.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20161005_103256.jpg (67.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20161005_103343.jpg (57.3 KB, 16 views)

Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

SUN #3038
johnmanna is an unknown quantity at this point
This site has a page to find the model, look on the frame in the front where the toung is the serial number should be there they can tell when you put in the number. As for parts any camping store will have parts

Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a 1984. Not a 1550, it looks like a 17 or 19' model. VIN should help tell.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

SUN #8946
Thanks for the information. Found the model, its a 1983 T-17. Sadly, there does not seem to be much in the way of parts and accessories for this camper. But I have decided to just rebuild the interior and redo all the wiring. Not sure if getting into the camper world was such a great idea.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preparedness View Post
Thanks for the information. Found the model, its a 1983 T-17. Sadly, there does not seem to be much in the way of parts and accessories for this camper. But I have decided to just rebuild the interior and redo all the wiring. Not sure if getting into the camper world was such a great idea.
They are not too bad to work on. I'm on my third and there are plenty of folks on line that will help along the way. I buy a lot of stuff on line and on ebay. Just curious what is wrong with the wiring that you have to redo all of it?

Steve
Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

SUN #8946
Thanks Steve.
Well, where to start with the wiring. At some point in its history someone removed all of the original wiring. The wiring that is now in it is not only the wrong gauge but all the wiring for the interior lights is actually speaker wire. The wiring for all of the appliances is the wrong gauge and has so many slices and dead ends that I can't even test if the refrigerator, water pump do work. The circuit breaker for the power cable only had one 15 amp circuit breaker in it. So I can't connect it to the house to test what works. The grounding wires that should be connected to the frame are not connected to anything. Plus the ground connections at the frame need to be cleaned. Thankfully the stove and oven both work off the propane and the propane system on the refrigerator seems to work. The one on board battery is connected to a series of 6 amp busses that are supposed to work the interior and external lights. However, they do not. And last but not least. The power converter/ battery charger looks like the original and has had a family of mice living in it for a very long time. So at this point, I think that it is best just to redo all the wiring.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Stop looking for Sunline parts. Very few of the bits and pieces used to build a tt are Sunline parts. They are all industry standard parts used throughout the industry. Ask for thermostat (just one example) for a Sunline and the person at the parts counter gets the deer in the headlights stare. Instead ask for a Duotherm thermostat and they'll get out their parts catalog and help you identify which one you need.

I've said this over and over here in previous threads since 2007 when Sunline closed the doors.

And many times you don't need an exact replacement for older stuff. Newer versions work just fine.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Thanks Steve.
Well, where to start with the wiring. At some point in its history someone removed all of the original wiring. The wiring that is now in it is not only the wrong gauge but all the wiring for the interior lights is actually speaker wire. The wiring for all of the appliances is the wrong gauge and has so many slices and dead ends that I can't even test if the refrigerator, water pump do work. The circuit breaker for the power cable only had one 15 amp circuit breaker in it. So I can't connect it to the house to test what works. The grounding wires that should be connected to the frame are not connected to anything. Plus the ground connections at the frame need to be cleaned. Thankfully the stove and oven both work off the propane and the propane system on the refrigerator seems to work. The one on board battery is connected to a series of 6 amp busses that are supposed to work the interior and external lights. However, they do not. And last but not least. The power converter/ battery charger looks like the original and has had a family of mice living in it for a very long time. So at this point, I think that it is best just to redo all the wiring.
Yikes! is my first thought followed by " how could they have messed all the wiring up without taking down the interior walls at one time or pealed back or off the exterior aluminum to get to it and why?" Does your inverter look like this?

Steve P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after inverter.jpg (143.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

SUN #246
Janalee
Steve...until one of the guys with more electrical knowledge than me shows up, I will offer what I do know. First of all, you do not have an inverter-the box on the left is a CONVERTER that changes the 110AC house current coming in to 12V DC to distribute to your various lights, furnace,pump,and some controls in your fridge etc. The box on the right contains your 110v breakers. Looks normal to me for an older camper! You even have room to add a couple of 12v items (whatever they might be?) ..As for the 15amp breaker for the cable to your house..Not understanding why you feel you cant plug it in your house? It's to protect your camper from drawing too much power and causing outage and/or damage to your camper as in using too many electrical appliances at one time. As long as your home outlet is at least 15amp there is no reason I can think of not to plug it in..unless perhaps you mean you don't have an adaptor to match the cable plug to your home outlet? Hope this helps cool your frustration until the boys arrive here! Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Steve...until one of the guys with more electrical knowledge than me shows up, I will offer what I do know. First of all, you do not have an inverter-the box on the left is a CONVERTER that changes the 110AC house current coming in to 12V DC to distribute to your various lights, furnace,pump,and some controls in your fridge etc. The box on the right contains your 110v breakers. Looks normal to me for an older camper! You even have room to add a couple of 12v items (whatever they might be?) ..As for the 15amp breaker for the cable to your house..Not understanding why you feel you cant plug it in your house? It's to protect your camper from drawing too much power and causing outage and/or damage to your camper as in using too many electrical appliances at one time. As long as your home outlet is at least 15amp there is no reason I can think of not to plug it in..unless perhaps you mean you don't have an adaptor to match the cable plug to your home outlet? Hope this helps cool your frustration until the boys arrive here! Janalee
Hi Janalee,

I wasn't the one with the issue. I was trying to understand Preparadness' issue since there were no pictures and I asked if his set up looked at all like mine ( this was a new inverter/converter that I had put in my 76 Shasta before the tree went through it. That is the picture of it in my avatar. I ended up taking it out once I removed the tree and put it in a 76 Prowler as seen in the picture.) It's always hard for me to tell what folks are talking about without pictures.

Steve P
Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

SUN #246
Janalee
Okay...looks like we are all confused this time..sorry..
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Okay...looks like we are all confused this time..sorry..
no worries!