Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

SUN #5571
DDenise is an unknown quantity at this point
New to the forum

Hello all,

My name is Denise. I just purchased my first ever travel trailer; a 1987 model 1550 Sunliner! I was so happy to discover this forum! I have already gleaned much helpful information!

So far I have found the following problems, which for the price, seem very doable. I guess I should start with what does work: toilet, BR sink and shower fixture, refrigerator (electric mode- I haven't tried the LP system yet), A/C, windows, kitchen sink, bunk beds, ......

We had a huge rain storm just after I got it home and parked it in the driveway. The only active leaking I found was in the outside A/C compartment (I think-I do know it is not the water heater compartment and it sits within the walls behind the bathroom with outside access). This compartment has some wood rot and There is some water damage to corners at bilateral back and left front. There is no dampness to touch in these areas after the rain.

When I was sanitizing the potable water tank, I discovered the grey water recovery tank leaks. Is that a problem worth addressing at this time? I don't see any leakage from the black water holding tank...phew! I am a nurse and realize these implications.....

I haven't had it professionally inspected yet, although I DO plan to do that in the near future.

I'm sure there is more.....I'm also sure I am not finished posting either.....

Glad to be here,
Denise

Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
DDenise,

Welcome...the people in this group are super sweet and helpful. They will do everything in their power to help you.

In regards to your grey water leak: You might have the same situation I have. I sanitized by adding "Happy Camper" to my grey water tank and then filling the tank so that it backed into the tub and left it for the night. By morning I had a stream running across my driveway. Unless I back the water into my tub by overfilling my tank with an additional 10-15 gallons of water my grey water tank does not leak. The camper place checked the camper over for leaks in my bathroom and around and couldn't find anything. My tank doesn't leak when used as normal so my solution is going to be to not fill my grey water tank 10-15 gallons beyond capacity in an attempt to clean the top of the tank.

Anita

Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita1 View Post
DDenise,

Welcome...the people in this group are super sweet and helpful. They will do everything in their power to help you.

In regards to your grey water leak: You might have the same situation I have. I sanitized by adding "Happy Camper" to my grey water tank and then filling the tank so that it backed into the tub and left it for the night. By morning I had a stream running across my driveway. Unless I back the water into my tub by overfilling my tank with an additional 10-15 gallons of water my grey water tank does not leak. The camper place checked the camper over for leaks in my bathroom and around and couldn't find anything. My tank doesn't leak when used as normal so my solution is going to be to not fill my grey water tank 10-15 gallons beyond capacity in an attempt to clean the top of the tank.

Anita
Interesting.
Multiply your tank capacity by 8.33 (lb/gal H20) then add the 83.3 to 124.95 extra weight you added may have pulled on the tub drain fitting/s enough to cause your leak. Just a guess. The other thing I would do is have the grey tank empty and have the tub drain stopper closed and then add the 10 to 15 gal. water to tub and see if you have leak. Of course the water with a person in the tub is a whole other story in its self.
Welcome DDenise. I have a '83 T-1550 and love it. Just got it in Apr. of this year. New to the forum and trailers. Learning a lot here, and the people are friendly and will do all they can to help. Enjoy your trailer.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #4

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Denise,

Welcome! Enjoy your 1550 and post pixs of your Sunline when you can.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #5

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDenise View Post
Hello all,

We had a huge rain storm just after I got it home and parked it in the driveway. The only active leaking I found was in the outside A/C compartment (I think-I do know it is not the water heater compartment and it sits within the walls behind the bathroom with outside access). This compartment has some wood rot and There is some water damage to corners at bilateral back and left front. There is no dampness to touch in these areas after the rain.

When I was sanitizing the potable water tank, I discovered the grey water recovery tank leaks. Is that a problem worth addressing at this time? I don't see any leakage from the black water holding tank...phew! I am a nurse and realize these implications.....

Denise
Welcome,

You can reseal door buy removing compartment frame and door and applying new butyl rubber tape which can be had at RV centers or online.
As for your grey water tank leak. Just where is it leaking. Can you see the leak or is it running down from the top of tank? The more info you provide the better we can help.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #6

SUN #5571
Thanks for all the kind replies! The leak is under the camper at the junction of the tank and the drainage pipe. I was in the process of using the potable water reservoir and electric pump sanitizing that system. It did not leak when using city water through a hose.

After retesting the air conditioner, there was no condensation in that compartment (though the water damage is obvious in the wooden enclosure) which leads me to think it was a roof leak from the rain. The seller told me the roof had been re sealed AFTER the damage. I have to get a ladder to inspect that roof!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #7

SUN #5571
New member pictures attached

I hope this works! I have attached 2 photos. One of the trailer and one of the water damage in the A/C housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

SUN #4040
That looks like the refrigerator compartment. you may need a new flue cap or reseal around old cap base with Dicor self leveling caulk.

Strange on your tank leak. Water from either supply should enter grey tank at the same point. Unless you have a pipe leaking running onto tank

You may want to look up make and model number of refrig Dometic has a recall on curtain models for fire hazard.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

SUN #5571
Oh wow and thanks! I do have a dometic refrigerator and you are correct, it is the refrigerator compartment! I will try to get a picture of the tank under neath and start a new thread
Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

SUN #4040
Pictures speak a thousand words
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

SUN #4578
Split is an unknown quantity at this point
D.D. : CONGRATS, WELCOME, are are in eastern Tenn... I have the 1979
version of the 15 ft rig.. These are desirable models.. Just take time & learn about all the various systems.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #12

SUN #816
delcon88
DDenise welcome to the soc what part of MD are you from we are on the eastern shore if fairly close can come look at your problems for you or maybe some other member is closer, this group is great for helping each other enjoy and welcome aboard
2003 F-345SR 5th Wheel#8145
2005 Chevy 2500 HD quad cab
2007 Bounder 35E W-22 Workhorse 8.1
1991 Jeep Wrangler (Towed)
delcon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #13

SUN #5328
Two sisters is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Denise and others who might be reading this.

We (sister and I) are new to this site. We purchased our first camper (2000 Sunline Advancer) second hand a couple of years ago. Being new to the travel trailer world we quickly learned along the way. For me I found keeping a note book was helpful so not to get overwhelmed by all the details. First time out we experienced our tub full of gray water. Thankfully we figured out that it was because our tank was full. Later when it came time to winterize I noticed the winterizing fluid leaked out under the tub panel. Not being very handy I put on my big girl pants and started taking things apart. In our case the leak was a result of the tub drain pipes had separated and cracked. Thankfully we were able to fix it by replacing the pipes. I share this only to encourage you to keep asking questions as you get to know your trailer. Though it took us a couple of trips to the RV parts store and local plumbing supply stores to find pipes that would work-(found out quickly not all PVC pipes and threads are the same) we finally managed to fix it. Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #14

SUN #3415
Ham Radio Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi DDenise and Welcome.
Hi also to Two sisters and Welcome.

This site is a great place to learn and share. Good luck on the repairs. Many folks have done great work on their Sunlines to bring them back to providing many wonderful camping experiences.

1992 T-2251 - Our first Sunline
2007 T-2553 - Our second Sunline
2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT
Ham Radio Op is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1550, new owner