Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

SUN #3513
mamarazzi is an unknown quantity at this point
New Sunliners in Maine :-)

Hello everyone! Was doing a search on the camper we just bought and it brought me to this site which i am happy to now be apart of!

We are a family of 5. Our there children are ages 2, 4, and 6.

I have been eyeing this adorable camper for so long...and yesterday I drove by and there was a for sale sign!
Of course I stopped...and today we are the proud owners of a 1986 Sunline 1550!
I LOVE it! The seller was an 83yo man that was the first owner...and it is in immaculate condition. He really took good care of it!

I am so excited to get my littles involved in the great outdoors now that they are older. This little camper will open up so much fun for us....that wont seriously break the bank. Hopefully

We DO have a dodge v8...but I am HOPING after my 2005 Chevy uplander can pull it.
The seller pulled it with a small little toyota pickup.
Any advice on the towing side of it? I suppose a towing package will have to be purchased?
Using the uplander to travel will be much more comfortable...then a tight fitting truck.

Anyway...I look forward to being apart of this community.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
mamarazzi, welcome to the group and congrats on your Sunline purchase. Sounds like you found a real treasure. If you have any questions about your Sunline, all you have to do is ask and it probably won't take long before you get some replies.

As for towing with your Uplander, check your owners manual and see what it says about towing a travel trailer. When/if you find the towing specs for your vehicle, post them here and you'll get some assistance about towing the 1550 with your vehicle.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi from Vermont! We just bought our Sunline in Dec. and have yet to go out with it but will "camp" with our grandkids (almost 5 and almost in our yard in a couple of weeks. They are wildly excited about the Sunline !

We hope to camp in Maine at some point, and have trips planned to PA and NY State so far !

This board is a wealth of info ! The members here are very, very generous sharing their time and info !
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about the Uplander but the 2WD Toyota is rated 3500# and probably had a 4 cylinder. I pull my T1700 with a Tacoma and it is a good bit heaver then the 1550 with no problems I do have a 4L V6. The electric brakes help a lot make sure they are in working order and repack the wheel bearings when you have a look at the brakes. Just check all your weights and see what the Uplander is capable of and stay below it as much as possible. It's real easy to put a lot of weight in a camper with out really thinking to much about it really mounts up fast so be sure to factor that in. I'm in Maine not far from Fryeburg where are you located?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

SUN #3513
mamarazzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice!
I will look into the capabilities of the uplander.
I think its only about 2500#...and a towing package will bring it to 3500#. So now I just need to price all that out.

Mainah - I live in Litchfield Tacoma lakes area.
I sure miss that warm weather we had last week. What a tease! I am sure there will be some freak snow storm before spring decides to fully settle in. Ugh!

I will be registering the camper this week...then bringing it home. It is only a few miles away. Then, I will snap some photos to share with you all.

Have a great week!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 83 T1550 that I towed with a V6 Chevy Trailblazer, which has the same rating. You can do it with the Chevy, but you'll hardly even notice the little T1550 behind a V8.

1983 T1550
OPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarazzi View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I will look into the capabilities of the uplander.
I think its only about 2500#...and a towing package will bring it to 3500#. So now I just need to price all that out.

Mainah - I live in Litchfield Tacoma lakes area.
I sure miss that warm weather we had last week. What a tease! I am sure there will be some freak snow storm before spring decides to fully settle in. Ugh!

I will be registering the camper this week...then bringing it home. It is only a few miles away. Then, I will snap some photos to share with you all.

Have a great week!
OK I know the Litchfield area not too far from us maybe an hour or so. Sounds like you got a very nice camper I know you'll have fun with it. Snow this morning but I did get a lot done to the camper during our short spring I think this is going to be the longest mud season ever!