Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

SUN #6863
Elvspec is an unknown quantity at this point
New Owner Questions

Hi All,
Just bought a '94 1550 Sunline Saturn up in Chicago last weekend. I think I got a pretty good deal and the unit was taken really good care of. I bought from the original owners on consignment from the original dealer. Inside looks barely used.

Anyway, I had a couple questions. First does anyone have suggestions for an awning protector? The awning is in great shape and I would hate to see it deteriorate as I don't have covered parking for the unit.

Was also wondering how anyone knows when the holding tanks are full?

Lastly, what's the best sealant to use on the roof. The sealant that is there now looks pretty dry and being in Louisiana I need to replace it soon. Was thinking of a marine type sealant but it pretty expensive.

That's it for now and any help would be appreciated. This is my first trailer and excited about having it.

Thanks Ahead,
Beau

Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

SUN #6172
JennyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome. I don't have any answers for you as I am new to camping with a travel trailer. I have a 1995 T1550 that I got this summer. I am the third owner of a very well taken care of camper. Would love to see pictures.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

SUN #6738
Campnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome. We got a '90 1550 a few months ago and I too would like to see the answer to the roof sealant question as I am new to travel trailers.
Campnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

SUN #6863
Thanks for the welcome and I hope we all get a couple of answers. Nonetheless I tried loading a few images with no success. This sort of stuff drives me crazy and I run out of patience quickly but will try again later.

Thanks Again
Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

SUN #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnut View Post
Welcome. We got a '90 1550 a few months ago and I too would like to see the answer to the roof sealant question as I am new to travel trailers.
Hey Campnut,
below is a sealant that I specify on my projects. Its a marine sealant and a bit more expensive then the silicone or painters caulk typically available in the stores but holds up much better. I'm gonna give this a try and see how it works.

3M Fast Cure 5200" high performance polyurethane sealant.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Elvspec!

Congrats on you new to you Sunline!

Here are some answers to your questions.

1. The Roof, if your roof is a rubber roof, see here on how to seal the caulking and how to prepare to walk on the roof. Most Sunline campers do not have direct walk on roofs and need precautions taken first to be able to walk on them. A heads up on silicone, while silicone is a good product, an RV roof is not a good use for it. It may work for a short time, but not a long time and once the surface has silicone on it, it is very hard to have anything else stick later.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

2. The holding tanks, I do not know if your model has a tank monitor or not. The older ones did not but then they changed and most have a lighted tank monitor system. I just do not know what year they changed.

However, by using a flash light and holding the foot pedal toilet valve open with the water off, you can see how full it is. The gray tank will back up in the shower drain if it becomes totally full. Assuming yours has a shower.

3. The awning, Is your awning one that rolls out and retracts with arms on the side and a roller for the awning or is the a bag awning like used on a Pop Up? (set up with poles and manually roll it up?)

Covers for the rollup type have been made from 4" PVC pipe, plastic U shaped gutters or vinyl covers.

Here are 2 posts on home made covers.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ver-15299.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...-dry-8080.html

Hope this helps and happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

SUN #6863
John, thanks for the response. I don't have an EPDM roof on my unit, its metal and I think I've got it covered. I'm just gonna use some type of high-performance polyurethane sealant that I use in my architectural applications.

On the tanks, thanks! Those are good suggestions. I might try putting some type of monitor on the fresh water tank.

My awning is the roll-up type and was thinking of the pvc thing the other day. That seems to be the only solution that will be easy to deal with.

Again I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm excited about the trailer and the good conditions its in, and want it to stay that way.

Have a great one!