Hi folks! Name here is Frank. Will be camping with the wife-to-be, Kathy. We both live in South Jersey, about 15 minutes outside of philadelphia.
A few weeks ago I posted a question about hitch height on an '02 2363 and a few of you were able to help me out. Thanks again for the information! I wound up buying the trailer and getting it home with no problems. We picked it up two Saturdays ago. It lost trailer brakes 5 minutes after I picked it up, but that's a different nightmare for another time!
We knew we had some work ahead of us with this unit. The inside was in good condition, everything seemed to work, with a few minor issues. The price was low for our area, but the trailer was absolutely filthy - I don't think it was ever cleaned. The previous owners had a couple of dogs and the hair was just piled up everywhere and in everything. No problem, we've cleaned worse, and the $ savings was worth some effort.
We spent a good two days inside cleaning it up. It cleaned up very well, with the exception of the carpets, which need replacing. I took care of the few obvious issues it had while we were cleaning it up - stupid stuff like one speaker not working, broken TV antenna crank and so on.
We took all the curtains and the bedspread in to be washed, and I ordered all new blinds for the windows (the prior owners weren't too gentle with the original aluminum ones), and started purchasing things we needed to get out and camp.
Yesterday morning I ran out to home depot and picked up a few yards of carpet to replace the damaged stuff, and that's where things started to turn bad. The front carpet replacement which I did yesterday went without a hitch - I'll post some pictures in the mods forum in a few minutes. Today I wanted to do the rear (bedroom) carpet, so I got out there, removed the bed, fresh water tank, etc and started pulling up the old carpet. At that point, I found the floor in the rear of the trailer wet and partially rotten - about an inch and half in all the way across the back wall. There is one slightly soft spot in the wall as well right at floor level.
When we purchased the trailer, I went over every inch of it looking for signs of water damage and couldn't find any. There was no mold/mildew odor in the camper, just the smell of dog!
The floor is solid throughout - the rotten area I found is so close to the wall that you can't tell it's soft there by walking.
I tried not to get too upset.. I don't think the previous owners knew it was getting wet. In my opinion, it looks to be an old, slow leak, possibly since the unit was new. I figure I've fixed worse things than this, so no use getting upset, just put the couple days work in and fix it.
I wanted to finish removing things from the bedroom area, including the water lines and eventually the water heater. Out I go to the side of the camper to hook up the air compressor to the city water inlet, and there I notice a HORRIBLE odor. I find that the previous owner not only left the black tank FULL, but that it had apparently frozen and now the pipe from the black tank to the tank valve is dripping at a very slow rate.
So now not only do I get to disassemble the rear wall of the camper, but I get to replace the drain line on the black tank! My biggest fear is that the freezing water has broken the black tank valve and that the only thing holding the contents of the tank is the cap. Still trying to figure the best way to deal with that worst case sceanario, but meanwhile I went ahead and ordered a FloJet macerator pump so I can get the tank emptied without moving the trailer around.
I'm sure I'll be posting frequent updates in the modifications and repair forums as I get this thing straightened out and we do some modifications to make it more "ours". So keep and eye out for me in there, and wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!
Here's a few quick outside shots right after I dropped it at home.