Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #1

SUN #11957
trodowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

My name is Tom and I purchased a 2003 Solaris T-2570 last October. I know absolutely nothing about camping, so owning a camper and camping will be a new experience for me.

I spent the past several weekends wire brushing and applying 2 coats of Rust Oleum primer and paint to the metal underneath the camper, the frame and the wheels. I'm pleased with the results, but working underneath with little height to spare was a challenge. My next project will be removing and replacing the caulking around the vents, TV antenna and windows.

I'm reading the manual trying to figure out where the shut off valve is for the hot water heater and how to turn the hot water heater on after I sanitize it and fill it. Once I get over that hump I think I can figure out how to hook everything up when I get to the campsite. As you can see I'm a novice, but I've heard that camping is a lot of fun. I'm honored to be a member of the Sunline Owner's Club and look forward to reading the forums.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome. I have found YouTube to be an excellent source of easy to follow video tutorials on almost any subject related to rvs and how they work. Combine that with the personal experiences and knowledge of the people on this forum and you will be a seasoned camper in no time. Good luck with your Sunline and have fun.

2015 RAM 1500 Express HEMI 4x4
2007 Sunline T-257sr
2004 Sunline T-2475
2000 Sunline M-2470
1989 Sunline T-170
j52wf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

SUN #11957
Thank you. That is a great suggestion! I will do that.

Everyone with whom I have spoken has told me that camping is fun. I'm looking forward to experiencing it.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tom,

Did you get your water heater all up and going?

There is no actual water shut off to it. There may be what they call a by pass valve setup that bypasses the heater and in a sense, it does shut off the water to the heater by directing the water around the heater. The white water valve on the bottom of the heater has to be turned to allow water to get into the heater. It is directly on the back of the heater. The white lever is normally horizontal to let water into the heater, and vertical to bypass the heater

The back of your 2003 Sunline, should have a water heater that looks close to this.

Your 2003 Sunline would of come with a combo gas and electric water heater. Meaning it can heat with LP gas or 120 VAC electric. Make extra sure the water heater has water in it before turning on the electric element. It will burn out in seconds with no water in the heater. If the heater is bypassed, water can still come out of the hot faucets, just not be in the heater.

The 2003 campers, when you want to heat with electric, you have to have the circuit breaker on in the power converter box for the heater and the little switch on located on the back of the water heater, then it will start heating by electric. Many folks have such a hard time getting to the little switch on the back of the heater, as it can be buried under a bed or cabinet that they "might" have added their own on off switch out in the open. That added switch would not be in any manual.

For the LP gas part, by 2003 there should be a tank sensor panel with a red rocker switch on it that says HTR for heater on LP gas. The water pump may have a red switch there too. It might look like this.

Sunline did change features every now and then to the next upgraded model, so if what I am saying is not exactly like yours, let us know or post pics and we can help you figure it out. 2003/2004 models was a design change year on the Atwood water heaters. You might have one or the other water heaters, but I am fairly sure the one above in the pics is the one you have.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

SUN #11957
Thank you Jon.. This is very helpful. I appreciate your taking the trouble to supply me with this information.

I scraped and applied caulking on the roof today. I haven't filled the hot water heater yet. Your information will be most helpful.

With kind regards,
Tom
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

SUN #11755
Torskdoc423 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tom. Got the same year/model. In the undersink cabinet(bottom) you'll see another door. Open it and you'll find the back of the water heater, lines and the bypass valve.

Larry
Old 07-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #7

SUN #11957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torskdoc423 View Post
Tom. Got the same year/model. In the undersink cabinet(bottom) you'll see another door. Open it and you'll find the back of the water heater, lines and the bypass valve.

Larry
Thank you Larry. I really appreciate your letting me know. This has been a mystery to me. I'll be heading up to the camper shortly to replace the caulk around the windows. I'll look at it then. Thank you.