Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

SUN #8861
Promdpi is an unknown quantity at this point
New in WNY

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce ourselves. My wife and I recently purchased a 1982 Sunline 19 1/2 SB. It was in pretty good shape for its age but I still had to make some repairs. I can honestly say that it is now road and camp worthy. We've had had it for less than a month and have been out camping twice already. We plan on doing it as often as we can but with our busy schedules with the kids it'll be far between. We have 5 kids and they all enjoy camping especially the 4 year old. They only wish that the campsites had WIFI. Little do they know that one of the reasons we decided on camping was to return them back to nature and reality. We'll see how that goes. We actually bought this for our trip to Yellowstone next year. Here's to wishing us luck.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the SOC forum and congrates on your new to you Sunline.

We're having a Sunline M&G this week-end at Southwoods RV Resort in Byron, NY, not far from you and would love to have you and your family join us.
Check-out the post for the WNY M&G.

We also took a trip to Yellowstone when our kids were younger. It's a trip your kids will enjoy and remember for a life time.

Good luck and safe travels.

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

SUN #8861
Roof sealant

Would love to attend Meet and Greet but as mentioned we are pretty busy with the kids and their extracurricular activities, mainly ballet. I did have a question though. The travel trailer currently has a roof with no leaks and I would like to keep it that way. I was thinking of applying a couple of layers of new roof coating. Is there a particular brand you would recommend or have used in the past with success. There are a lot of products out there and I wanted to get one that has been used and proven. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

SUN #7632
BCS Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome from another WNY member. Livingston country here.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promdpi View Post
Would love to attend Meet and Greet but as mentioned we are pretty busy with the kids and their extracurricular activities, mainly ballet. I did have a question though. The travel trailer currently has a roof with no leaks and I would like to keep it that way. I was thinking of applying a couple of layers of new roof coating. Is there a particular brand you would recommend or have used in the past with success. There are a lot of products out there and I wanted to get one that has been used and proven. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I suspect that is a metal roof, either steel or aluminum. If there's rust spots here and there, you will know it is steel.

Common maintenance of metal roofs is to first clean them well, removing any loose or flaking coatings and caulk. Recaulk seams and screw head on horizontal surfaces with a self leveling caulk. Vertical surfaces need a stiffer caulk that won't run. In no case should you use silicone. Nothing sticks to it after it dries, and it does peel off on its own, especially in direct sunlight, leaving a surface that won't take paint or other caulks. Butyl caulks are good.

Metal roofs generally are re-coated every so often with mobile home roof paint. It's usually a silvery color and contains some fibrous material that helps fill in gaps and such. It's readily available at home improvement stores and hardware stores.

There are numerous threads already here about roof maintenance of both metal and rubber roofs. Plenty of detailed info if you need it is here for the reading.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

SUN #8861
Thanks Steve, I'll plan to inspect the roof this weekend and maybe work on cleaning it. I really appreciate the reply.

WIl and Tauna
1982 Sunline 19.5 SB
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD
2001 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax
Promdpi is offline   Reply With Quote