Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #1

SUN #12771
Nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy New guy here could really use some help

I have 1983 sunline 1750 that I just bought I went to change the wheel bearings and noticed that something crazy was goin on with the inside bearings on all four wheels, the inside bearing seems to be way to large, the gap between the inner bearing and spindle is large enough to stick a penny into ,please tell that the spindle is not destroyed and that the last owner just put the wrong bearings on it
What are the bearing numbers for this camper

Old 07-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep wrong bearings.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Nick,

Sounds like there is a major issue with the bearing on your camper. The wheel must wobble too. If all 4 wheels are like this, they have the wrong bearings. The bearing cone ID to the shaft OD, has very little clearance to the shaft when these type of bearings are used. We are talking 0.0010 to 0.0015" clearance and some less then that. For sure it seems they have the wrong bearings.

On the spindle, posting pics can help. The surface finish needs to be true and smooth. If you have access to a micrometer, or a caliper you can to see if it is still round and that all 4 spindles are close to each other in size.

At this point, not knowing how long they ran the camper this way, ideally you replace the outer race and the bearing as the outer race can be messed up running this way. And I myself would change the outer bearing and race even it is seems to be OK. That bearing took a lot more load with the inside being all messed up.

If you can give us the Part numbers on the bearings and race, and the size of the shaft OD for each inner and outer, we can help back into what should be there. If you a NAPA autoparts store near by, take them the parts too and they can match up the correct numbers. And they have the grease seal too. Just check the brake drum OD for the seal or take the old seal with you, assuming the seal is even correct. They will need the shaft size for the inner bearing that now has the messed up bearing on it.

If you need help posting pics, here are the basics.

There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things you are working on to help better.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If the spindle has no step it most likely is a 1" that is a fairly common trailer bearing. They are both the same inner and outer. When you get into the bigger stuff they had a larger inner bearing.