Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

SUN #8094
rpatnaude1 is an unknown quantity at this point
new from maine

2004 solaris. 1st time owner and am trying to find out all about my trailer.
question 1: my monitor panel contains 3 rocker switches. the further to the right is for water heater electric. that is almost on however just to the left of it is a small light with the letters D S I / F L T. a lot of the time that red light comes on. i have been moving the rocker switch to the left and then to the right to turn that little light off.
What does little light indicate?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad you made a new thread. And welcome to the forum !
Will hope our members will be able to answer this for you ! Again, welcome !

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
That red light indicates that the electronic ignition failed to lite the hot water heater. Essentially a flame detector that stops the igniter from firing after several attempts.

It is not uncommon if you have changed LP tanks or haven't used it for awhile. Try burning a stove burner until it burns cleanly before attempting to lite the lp on the hot water heater.

FYI - DO NOT TURN ON THE ELECTRIC ELEMENT WITHOUT WATER IN THE HEATER.

Got your attention? It will burn out almost instantly if dry.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi rpatnaude1,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!!! and congrats on your new Sunny!

That you are describing sounds like this, The KIB 3 rocker switch tank monitor panel. Does it look like this?

As Mack stated, the DSI fault light, stands for Direct Spark Ignition fault. The heater when on propane will try 3 lighting sequences to light. If it does not light in 3 tries, it shuts down on safety. To reset, your turn the LP gas rocker switch off and then on. Lack of power on resets the fault and you get 3 more tries.

The LP gas switch is the center switch and the little red DSI light goes only with the LP gas function.

And be careful with the electric switch, far right switch. You can and will burn out the electric element very quickly with no water in the heater.

This is what we do with the electric portion since it is way too easy to make a mistake and accidentally flip it on.

Go to the power converter panel. Look for the 15 amp breaker labeled water heater. If that breaker is off, then no harm to the heater will come if the rocker switch up in the tank panel is flipped on even though the red light on the rocker switch at the tank panel comes on. The breaker supplies the 120 VAC to the heater element and is not part of the 12 VDC rocker switch which activates a power relay to switch the element power on.

After each camp out we drain the camper water and the HW heater. The wife closes down the inside of the camper while I'm cleaning up outside. She will flip that breaker OFF as part of her break camp check list. Then I drain the heater.

When we set up camp, I fill the heater with water and then she will turn the breaker on. Then you just use the electric heat as needed.

Since you happen to have a 2004, and I do too, I had those pics handy. Those with 2003 or older models have a slightly different tank panel setup and the way there electric element is hooked up.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #5

SUN #8094
thanks a lot john & mack. i am a complete novice at this and will probably asking a lot of questions in the near future.
as a matter of fact my next question is : is my furnace both propane and electric and if so how do i switch from one to the other?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
The fan and controls are 12v. The heat source is propane. You can run the heat without 120v (120v only recharges the battery) but it draws a lot from the battery. There is no switching required.

Don't worry about asking questions were all novices once😉

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi where are you in Maine? I'm near Fryeburg. Your furnace will only make heat with propane there is no electric heat. If I'm working on mine in the winter I usually put the heat on to bring the temp up then run a portable electric heater once it's up to 60 some thing.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

SUN #8094
I'm replying to my own post because I don't remember how I got my 1st post online. Maybe you can give me step-by-step instructions on how to add a new post question online; In the meantime I have another question....... I have a 2004 sunline solaris. I have a water leak in the right, rear corner of the top. Question what material is the roof made of AND what material can I patch it up with?????